Anybody buy Void?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by spardadante, Mar 22, 2009.

1. spardadante

spardadante Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I just downlaoded the lite version. Didnt really play it much yet.

2. Igoo

Igoo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    #2 Igoo, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
    I did. I'm enjoying it a lot.

It reminds me of a simpler version of Escape Velocity. It's all about exploration, upgrading, and real-time combat... they just took the trading part out. Which honestly would help, because it's hard to gather enough money to get the better ships to keep up with the game's difficulty curve. But it's not frustrating me, just making me try to find the worlds I can beat to gather enough cash to strike into the center of one of the other races' strongholds.

This one's a keeper for me.

3. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Didn't look that great, and I didn't like the lite version.

4. VoidCog

VoidCog Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I bought it and have enjoyed it quite a lot so far. I've taken out almost all of the outer rims and have started on the inner rims.

I just came across a ridiculously good weapon/equipment combination. Get the heat-seeking Javelin missile with 25 range (which on it's own is amazing) and equip the pressure sac to upgrade the weapon range by 30%. I also equipped a synthesis pore for more weapon energy and an offense inverter for more energy recharge. Just enter a level, aim in the general direction of enemies, and hold down the fire button. It's far too powerful since the AI doesn't even pursue you since you're way out of range.

5. Fantasmo

Fantasmo Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    This is one of my drunken purchases that I haven't regretted :D

6. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    LOL

Friends dont let friends drink and app purchase.

7. yellier35

yellier35 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Not to bad, needs improvement.

I played the lite version and think with a few updates this could be a great game. I think the graphics and interface need some improvement. One major issue I am having is my ship spins out of control for no reason. I will head towards an enemy and try to flank either side and all of a sudden just spin like a merry go round. Anyone having those issues?

8. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    LOL hold the iPod straight. If you tilt the ship turns. Use the breaks allot too. Use short burst thrust. That should help u keep control.

For the guy that started the thread. This game kicks ass. I just wish there was more to the game. Completed it, and now just flying around distroying the home worlds to gain the best gear for all my ships. Oh the multi gat kicks ass.:cool:

9. mattyduk

mattyduk Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    really like this game although a bit confused on one of the earlier levels. I start the level and all my shield energy disappears. I'm not in the level that warns you about nebulae, and there aren't any around anyway.

Any guesses ?

10. yellier35

yellier35 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    lol

lol, no thats not the issue haha. I was trying to attack at full speed while turning and shooting. I realized the short burst method is a lot better.

There is a level where you lose your shields so don't get hit. If you have the utility to improve you armor at the expense of your shields use it. I think its called beta plating or something.

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Had the lite version since it had first came out. Pretty good game back then, and the improvements the developer made to the interface and the game as a whole made it better. Bought the full version as soon as it was available.

It's not like Blue Attack!, so be warned. The game isn't about going full blast into combat, as yellier has found out. It's about going into combat in a strategic fashion (not a strategy game, but you have to think and plan out which ships you want to go against first before engaging in combat).

This, Blue Attack! and Orion's Belt are all similar at first glance, but play differently enough that, IMHO, if you're a fan of such games it's worth buying all three.

12. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    I am not a big fan of the control mechanics of this game. Maybe it was just the ship I was using. Very sluggish and unresponsive.

13. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    #13 SirSlayer, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
    There are upgrades later in the game that will help you with that.....look for ones that lower your mass or increase turn rates and stuff.

14. Shatner's hairpiece

Shatner's hairpiece Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    #14 Shatner's hairpiece, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    I'm having problems with this game. The inner worlds, the brighter colors, are impossible for me to win. What kind of ship do I need? I've already got one that's worth $10,000 and has a few good weapons. There is just way too much opposition in the tougher galaxies. My ship usually gets blasted by some massive ship and I'm dead after 3 shots. I play cat and mouse as much as I can, trying to lure them out, but they all have longer range weapons than I do.

I've gone through 3 'outer rim' areas in 3 colors and put in two hours, and all for nothing. I get killed, don't get a single credit out of it. I really liked this game in the early stages, more so than 'Galaxy on fire', but I'm at the point now of deleting it. No game should require this kind of repetitive and frustrating time investment. I can't imagine how hard it is in the inner worlds.

They really should have let you keep the credits, items, you find, so if you get killed after playing for a half hour, you can at least keep them!

Because of the ridiculous difficulty, my rating goes down from 8/10 to 6/10. I would assume any better ships and weapons are only going to come from beating the tougher areas, so I don't see any point in going back to uninhabited areas to find weapons that are worth $10.

And what's with the constant crashing? During missions, using the hyperdrive. This adds to even more wasted time as I'm forced to restart the level. At least 15 crashes since I started playing last night.

15. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Same here. The last time I tried the game it just didn't have enough to keep me interested. If I recall Galaxy on fire was much better.

16. Ventura

Ventura Well-Known Member

I purchased this one just recently, and have been loving it.

By the time you have conquered much of green and red's territory, you should be able to afford at least a 25k ship. Remember, you also get something like 75% of your existing ship's cost back when you sell it, so a 10k ship is automatically 7.5k towards your next upgrade.

I got my 200k ship just recently, and have only a handful of systems left to conquer before I own them all. Red and Blue have already been fully wiped out. My ship at the moment is high on shields/low on armour, but up until getting it I went with those that had high armour and low shields.

The type of equipment you put on it should take into account the type of ship you get. Putting a device on your ship that buffs armour at the expense of shields makes a lot of sense if you're already on a ship that is all about armour and not the shields. It's all about maximising the ship's strengths as much as you can.

One thing I'll say though, this is without a doubt the buggiest game I've ever played. On my 1G Touch, if I don't restart the app every third or fourth zone, it'll crash on loading up. It also gets very sluggish too. I get two zones of good playability, and then it starts chugging. This app has more memory leaks than it does ships!

This is a gem of a game though, it should be way more popular than it is around here. What with the Archangel developer having apparently abandoned his app, I was in need of a good space shooter, and this definitely hit the spot.

17. Shatner's hairpiece

Aug 1, 2009
    The question is how do you conquer ANY territory? I can't get beyond the outer, inner rims. I'm leading them out one by one as best I can. Then there always a few massive ships that are as fast or faster than me and there is no contest. There are no other ships available for me to buy beyond $10,000. I'm firing a single shot every five seconds while the enemy is hitting me with 10 shots at once, and heat seeking on top of it. I've cleared every 'dark' world except the bright ones heading into the main worlds. The difficulty ramp up here is just insane. Most of the time I'm going full speed reverse trying to hit the enemy, staying just out of range, then an 'invisible wall' pops up, stops me, they run right into me and I'm dead. Too bad, because I really enjoyed the early levels. After spending most of the day trying to win ONE 'Brighter' color galaxy and constantly starting over, I've freakin' had it. Deleted.

18. Ventura

I did hit a brick wall a couple of times, but at each time I was always approaching the amount of money that I'd need to afford the next expensive ship. I didn't have to go far into each territory's area before the 25k ships started showing up.

The only thing I can think of why none of the more expensive ships were showing up is that you're either not picking them up when they drop, or you're playing the demo and the 10k ships are the limit. I wouldn't know about the demo, I shifted over to the full after barely an hour or two with it, but I had no problems with discovering them. I was finding the 100k ships well before I'd been able to even afford the 50k ones.

Oh well, each to their own, but aside from the crashes and slowdown, I've been thoroughly enjoying this one.

19. Shatner's hairpiece

Aug 1, 2009
    #19 Shatner's hairpiece, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
    How did you get through the orange area , Talitha in Wrethk (outer core) in the lower right corner? I tried one yesterday and the main enemy was 2 huge ships shaped like the Romulan bird of prey. I did FINALLY find a decent weapon (repulsion mine) that has range of 35 and shoots a ball of energy doing 83/53 damage (Value $1705) and once I had that, it became a lot easier to get through levels where I was previously struggling. Still using a $10 grand ship. On this one world, the 2 ships are chasing me around and I'm blasting them with the ball of energy every 3 seconds. They never died. Every other ship on the map went down within 3 hits. First I thought that they were powered from some source so I find them protecting this huge clump of orange spheres, so I slowly take those out one by one. No difference. I ended up playing this level for over an hour, cleaned out the galaxy except for 3 damn ships that would not go down no matter how I blasted them. I'm using the the Cadmar ship equipped with Replusion mine. It's not making a dent on the main boss ships in this area. I'm saving up for a 25 grand ship, but even a ship like that is not going to make a difference if my weapons can't do the job. Am I supposed to keep playing previously cleared levels in the hope of finding even better weapons, or can you only get better weapons off superior enemies?

How did you beat them? It's like they have permanent shields that constantly recharge. The level should give you a warning before you start about what you will need to defeat the 'boss' ships. Now, I have to keep looking for better weapons to fight them?

20. Ventura

Well, by the time I'd started on orange, I'd completely wiped out the other colours, was using my 200k ship, and it was a formality at that point. I was just doing that to beat the game, which I finally did last night.

Earlier on in my game I did try to venture too far into the various coloured areas, and on a number of occasions I did get my backside handed to me. That's when I realised the idea behind the game is to spread out but only really conquering the weaker, generally uninhabited areas. The idea is to move out past red and green, up towards blue and down towards orange before even thinking about venturing inwards. As for how my game turned out though, I spent so much time messing around with green and red that by the time I'd wiped out the red homeworld, I hadn't touched blue atall.

You should definitely be at the stage where you're discovering 25k ships. I upgraded to a more expensive ship each time I had enough money, and generally I would place number of weapon slots ahead of number of equipment slots. Remember to pick everything up. I don't leave a zone unless the only dots on the map are the hypergate and the planets. That means taking out not just the enemy units, but the asteroids too. Always good money to be had.

As I said before too, remember to install equipment that boosts your ship's strengths. Equipment like armour +20% shields -20%, for example, is obviously best installed on a ship with high armour and low shields, and I never settled for a ship that had the same of both. Suppose you have a ship with 400 armour 100 shields. +20% of 400 works out at 480, but -20% shields would only drop it from 100 to 80.

As far as weapons goes, earlier on I tested everything that dropped, and just used what I was most effective with. I preferred the continuous-fire types like the machine gun. Backing up one of those with a longer-range missile like the arrow worked wonders for me, and I still use that kinda setup even now.

When I was going up against targets much bigger than me, I would always just basically keep flying backwards. Eventually I figured out a way where you could just keep doing that around the edge of the map, like a really big circle. That way I never backed into more enemy units, and the AI tends to lose it's momentum when it hits the edge. You don't have to really do that once you're using a 100k ship or better though, because that's when you can tank them.

Good luck with it mate, I'll keep checking this thread to see how you're doing :)