Coldfire Keep: First-Person RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by geppetto, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Old-school RPGs like "Dungeon Master" are:

1. Awesome, I can't get enough of them!

167 vote(s)
    61.6%
  2. Alright, I can take them or leave them.

63 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. Dead, modern RPGs are far better.

37 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Who cares; all RPGs suck.

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I have been silently following the updates of your game .

Playing Eye of the Beholder and Black Crypt on the Amiga , years ago ,
    gave me an appreciation
    of just how fun these games can be. I spent more hours than I can remember
    shooting arrows thought metal barred doors or closing doors on the enemies.

I, for one ,am looking forward to playing a good dungeon crawler again.

2. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany

Reminds me a little bit of skyrim. Really cool, I like the theme! :D

3. geppetto

geppetto Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    I think the key to these games is the atmosphere. Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc all had this amazing immersion - you truly felt like you were deep underground in a dangerous situation. And they did all of that with the simplest graphics and audio. Sometimes with video games, less is definitely more. Recreating the kind of feel that those games had is definitely not an easy task though...

Oh wow - I never played Black Crypt in my Amiga days. I'm going to run that up in an emulator and get stuck into it :)

4. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    So holidays are over and, unfortunately, I was way too optimistic about the amount of progress I could make in two weeks. Still, I'm not entirely disappointed as I did manage to get some VERY major stuff done, including a great deal of code soul-searching and rewriting.

I'm now working almost exclusively on the environment; building each of the game's locations and working out puzzles, and treasures, and secrets. I'm feeling confident that the end is definitely in sight now, and that the product I'm building is going to be a lot more solid and stable thanks to the work I've put in over the break.

I've made some fairly considerable changes to the game lately too, not least of which is in the area of its story and general mood. I have a tendancy to write on the humourous side and then dial it back for fear of people not taking what I've done seriously. I decided to just drop those concerns and go with what my gut was telling me to do. The result is a much simpler, more "pure" RPG story with a lot more heart and (hopefully) a few more laughs. The result feels "lighter" somehow and definitely more entertaining.

So that's it. Back to work.

5. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    I've been thinking lately that it might be fun to do a time-lapse video of the level creation process, for those that are interested in the journey... not just the destination :)

It happens that tonight I had to build a very small sub-level (Location 9b, to be precise), so I decided this was the perfect opportunity to play with the time-lapse stuff.

So, without further fluff, here it is! I'll definitely be doing more of these on some of the BIG levels.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Coldfire Keep looks very promising; I wish there was some possibility this could be played on the iPhone/iPod small screen. As an aside, I know reception to Descend RPG was lukewarm so I'm glad to see the developer is keeping at things.

7. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Well, you never know your luck.......................

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm intrigued as to how this will look on retina iPads. I love low-res, old school gaming, but I can't stand the blurriness of non-native resolutions. I notice it's being made at 1024x768 so hopefully that will double up cleanly.

9. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Actually the game's "native" resolution is 2048x1536. All of the artwork has been targeted to that resolution and it scales down for the 1024x768 screens.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Oh nice! Sounds like a definite sale here then. Looking forward to it :)

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Looking really good

12. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Thought I'd post a few of David's concept sketches for creatures he's been modelling for Coldfire Keep. I think they're pretty neat, and it's a shame for them to go to waste.

Getting VERY close to finished on this thing now... pretty exciting stuff!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Love the sketches and very much looking forward to playing this game.

14. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    I finally got around to recording a little bit of gameplay footage for everyone to check out. Let me know your thoughts.

Note that this is just running on my Mac - hence the mouse pointer. iOS version is of course touch control.

15. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany

Oh really cool! Can't wait! :D

And really great character portraits!!!

16. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi Geppetto,this looks great love the looks of the dungeons,would like to see more creatures although surprise is one of the best parts with these games.Is it possible to say how many dungeons/levels or what kind of size game we're looking at?

17. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    Geppetto I'm in love with your Game I'm looking forward to play this Gem like Mad!

18. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks! The character portraits (and most of the UI) are the work of David Hattori. He also did the creature modelling. Talented guy.

Definintely keeping most of the creatures to myself for now. I've tried my best to make them meaningful to the story and environment though with both "introduced", intelligent enemies, and "natural" enemies (like the Giant Rats) that would just inhabit this place.

As far as the size of the game, I just don't know yet, as I'm still building it. I basically have this idea of "Locations" rather than just "Levels", so you might visit locations called 8a, 8b, 8c which all exist on the same level but might be explored completely out of sequence because you could enter them from above, or below. Anyway, the point is that in the end I might have maybe 14-15 levels, but that will probably be close to 30 different locations (don't quote me on that, just made up figures).

Mind you, some of the locations are very small. If you saw that "Making Of" video I did, that was the complete 9b location, which could be explored in about 30 seconds.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm looking forward to you playing it too :)

19. geppetto

Aug 31, 2010
    Game Designer
    Sydney, Australia
    To those two people who voted "Who cares; all RPGs suck." - shame on you! :)

20. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Hey gepetto, are we going to have to randomly click every pixel to find secrets or are the spots we have to click going to stand out? The spots you click after tearing the banners in the video don't look like they stand out at all, and I don't know about you, but a game where I have to click every spot on the wall quickly gets shelved. Anyway game looks awesome, just hope it doesn't tun ino a wall clicking fest.