Reading forum from iphone with touchbb or tapatalk?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by milan2022, May 15, 2010.

1. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Any plan to incorporate notifications for quotes here on the site as well?

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    ya, we have a plugin on macrumors that offers it. there are still a few bugs it seems, but we'll be able to move that over here pretty easily.

arn

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You know, notifications on quotes (and even when someone presses the reply button on my specific message, if possible) is the last thing missing from the ultimate TA experience ;) If you could implement that for both the iOS app and the forum itself, you'd probably make both me and many other users even happier campers :)

4. bititch

bititch Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Surely the two aren't mutually exclusive? I could understand not adding the tapatalk plugin if an upgrade to the forum software was required to support it, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
    The only reason I can think of to not support them, would be to ensure the toucharcade app was the only way to access the forums from an iPhone/iPad. This makes me a little uncomfortable as I would rather use the toucharcade app because it is the best option, rather than the only one.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

The other option is using Safari, which I've been doing for years and it works fine. :)

6. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    That's a shame. Is it possible to have it as an option for those that want it and still be able to do what is wanted with a TA app? I've grown to really like all in one apps like Flipboard and Tapatalk. I notice I have no problem with the news feed in Flipboard. Will that still be available after the TA app is launched?

7. praxcelis

praxcelis Active Member

Sep 29, 2012
    So, TA has had it's own app now for a while and it's awesome… except for keeping up with forums. Time to dig deep and add major feature to the TA app's support for forums.

Or add Tapatalk. I don't really care which way you go.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes. With editing of posts and landscape mode for text input in the TA app (and it is beyond me how ANY app that provides opportunities for heavy text input could forego landscape mode. Are you listening, Facebook and Google Drive?), I would have no cause to wish for a tapatalk plug-in, or access the forums through a browser on my iDevice.

As many of us were hoping that the TA app would save us from just THAT, I hope that is not TA's final reply on the deficiencies of the forum part of the TouchArcade app.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

We're likely going to continue improving the app in whatever way we can, but we won't be supporting Tapatalk.

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    As I wrote above, with editing of posts and landscape mode for text input in the TA app, Tapatalk can go the way of all things old and sad and forgotten :)