Seeking Open-ended space game (with RPG elements)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jorlen, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #1 Jorlen, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    I've tried. I really have. I've sifted through page after page of the appstore and there are just too many space games, but most of them look like they suck and/or are freemium.

I'm just looking for recommendations for this kind of game:

- 2D or 3D, doesn't matter, but some emphasis on exploration

- Action based or even turn-based, whatever

- Premium! No freemium junk, unless unlocks are for content

- RPG elements! Upgrades, level ups, good loot, etc

- Open-ended / open-world, not a strict path of missions I have to do in a certain order (i.e. don't care about story)

- Price irrelevant - I'm not afraid to PAY for good games

I don't even know if this kind of games exist for IOS but I'm really hoping you guys can help.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Galaxy on Fire 2
    Star Trader RPG

3. MinusZero

MinusZero Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Space Miner(2D). I believe it's by Venan if you're searching the AppStore and having trouble.
    One of the best games on the AppStore.
    Galaxy on Fire 2(3D). I don't know what happened when it went free, I think the IAP is for expansions or a space station of your own. I may have read that iAds were added. I hope not. It was a really good game and worth checking out in your search.

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #4 Bool Zero, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    Pretty much these two! Especially so with Galaxy on Fire 2! It is the most competent 4X Privateer-esque space exploration/combat/trading/mining/piracy/etc game on the AppStore! Galaxy on Fire 2 (HD) is my preference of the cream of the crop of these games, but I also like all the others as well and they should all be considered and looked at further!

There is also:
    Dangerous (HD)
    Galactic Phantasy (more of an anime take the Privateer/Freelancer/X-Beyond genre)
    Galactic Phantasy: Prelude (a mix of third person and top down space exploration in the same anime vein)

5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Any thoughts on Dangerous hd null space? Bit confused by the version difference there. Not many reviews out, looks good but I've seen complaints about the interface and font size (I'm on a mini to boot).

Thanks everyone for the recommendations btw!

6. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #6 TheFrost, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    Nope, not is space

7. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    It's okay, but debatably not as good as Galaxy on Fire 2 which is the creame de la creame. I have the HD version of null space so I can't comment on the rest.

8. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I loved Space Miner back when it was first released 5(?) years ago. I hope someone would make an update. As it is though, it's still one of the best games on the platform and has aged pretty well.

9. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I actually have the iphone version of Space Miner on my account from way back when. I noticed there's an HD (or ipad?) version of this out, and from first glance it would seem that the resolution is the only difference? Kind of disappointing if have to re-buy it. The game seems fun, so it might be worth it.

Galaxy on Fire 2 may not work for me. I find the ship controls to be very difficult and I can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn. I'm just about to make the jump and get Null Space but the $7 price tag (with IAPs I believe) is a big jump to make.