Programming noob, looking for place to start

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Demonskunk, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Demonskunk

Demonskunk Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    I'm hoping the title explained this pretty well, but essentially, my problem is this.

I want to get into iPhone development, it looks like it could be fun, and I've wanted to do game design for a while, but I've never been much of a programmer.
    I know that the language that the iPhone uses is Objective-C, but I know nothing about it, and I was wondering if any of you could lead me in the right direction to learn more about it.

I'm not a complete programming noob, so I guess that was a bit of a lie, but I've not done a terrible lot with it. I know a bit of ASP.net for web development, and I know how to make a decent text game in VB.net using Visual Studio... but I have a feeling that Objective-C is a little different.

Thanks to anyone who can help, this is more or less one of my bigger hobby-hopes.

2. kgutteridge

kgutteridge Active Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I would suggest getting iphone game development by oreilly, this should serve as a good primer, but it perhaps assumes a fairly decent knowledge of at least a c based language.

The best way to learn objective c for the iPhone is probably by watching the Stanford videos

3. Demonskunk

Demonskunk Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    the app? are his apps really helpful? I guess I sorta doubted them because they're... apps x3

and what are the stanford videos o3o?

4. kgutteridge

kgutteridge Active Member

Aug 31, 2009
    The Stanford university iPhone programming course is available through iTunes U, the course website is here http://cs193p.stanford.edu/

iPhone game development can be had from Amazon

5. Programming in Objective-C 2.0 by Stephen G. Kochan is, in my humble opinion, your best start. That is if you want to learn programming and really master Objective-C. A more iPhone-specific book could put you on a faster track, but this one is clear, a great reference, and will give you a much firmer grasp of a variety of basic topics, such as memory management or other things, that you really should know in order to be a good programmer.

I recommend checking it out.

6. Dizturbing Appz

Dec 28, 2009
    Dev
    Honduras
    Yea same here

but once u learn the language it all pays off!
    Whats the good thing bout the mac is that if u kno how to program the mac u already kno how to program the iPhone and vice-versa

So in the end u kill 2 birds with 1 stone! :D