Action RPG Shopper!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Simon Potticary, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Ok guys, I need the help of my fellow iGamers out there! I'm a massive app fan and have tonnes of great games on my iPhone, spread across almost every genre known to man. My faves so far include Modern Combat 2, NOVA, Knights Rush, Rolando 2, Space Miner, Minigore and Real Racing. So I guess you could say that my tastes are varied. BUT I don't have any RPG's and I really want to have a crack at nailing this area of iOS gaming. I recently took a gamble and splashed out on Chaos Rings, but if I'm honest, I've bitten off more than I can chew as it's a bit too much for a novice such as myself. Now I don't want to lose the £7.49 so I'm looking for perhaps an Action style RPG on which to cut my roll-playing teeth. So what should I try? I'd be delighted to hear the thoughts of the iGaming nation, but at this point, I don't want anything turn-based. My ears are open (well, my eyes in this case!)....

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    chaos rings is I guess a little hard for beginner RPG players.
    Hm..I'd suggest dungeon hunter by gameloft or zenonia 1. Most of the other RPGs takes quite a bit of grinding and experience to get through.

3. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Zenonia takes a lot of grinding also. Definitely go with Dungeon hunter.

4. osiris37

osiris37 Member

Mar 16, 2010
    graphic designer / illustrator
    North Wales, UK
    #4 osiris37, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    Hi Simon, Dungeon Hunter's a great choice, I'd also look at Underworlds or for a basic but really enjoyable blast try Solomon's Keep or Wolfenstien RPG (if you don't mind the retro graphics), If you're into Space like games, Galaxy on Fire, not exactly an RPG but substituting experience building for craft improvements is a similar concept. Anyway I hope you learn to love what is my favorite genre, shame you're not interested in turn based as there are some great games, Rimelands for one and then there are some great turn based Strategy RPGs like Rogue Planet. Enjoy.

5. Cymrune

Cymrune Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    As more of an RPG veteran definately look at Dungeon hunter, even my girlfriend loved the game!

As for chaos rings.. once you have got to grips with RPGs definately have another try at it! the story doesn't get exciting til you almost complete the first character.. then theres another 3 to go, hidden bosses, epic equips etc.

but definately try dungeon hunter you'll get on with it.. theres also a Lite to try for free

6. The Quest isn't an ARPG but is a very good old style rpg.
    Zenonia2 and Inotia 2 (soon 3) would be arpg picks.

7. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Many thanks for all the advice so far guys, it's very much appreciated!! I've taken the universal response and gone for Dungeon Hunter. You guys certainly know what you're talking about, it's fantastic! What a great intro to a new genre for me. In a very different style (graphically at least) I also tried the Lite version of Zenonia 2 and loved the demo, but I did find the virtual joystick a little erm, iffy though. I've also seen Mana Chronicles and Heroes Lore on the App Store, are they any good? Regarding Chaos Rings, I've left it on my phone awaiting a time when I am Worthy of taking a second stab at it. Here's hoping!

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #8 squarezero, Oct 16, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    I think the Quest is a bit much for a novice. If someone wanted to dip into old-school RPGing, I would start with something like Undercroft.

You may also want to check out Ravensword. It's more an action/adventure than an RPG proper, but it should give you a taste of the genre.