Hunter Island: A New Pokemon Like Game from the Developers of Dragon Island

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ZigZaGame, Nov 13, 2012.

1. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Are you still accepting beta testers? I'm using an iPod Touch 4G if that matters.

2. Jxsgamer

Jxsgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    USA
    They hasn't asked for any yet. Keep an eye for a test early next year.

3. SpudWreck

SpudWreck Active Member

Jul 15, 2012
    How about a draw a path control. You draw the path and then watch your character walk it and if your within x distance of an enemy he would come attack you. I like having the enemy approach you, it would make choke points less limted, could be a wide open field instead of forcing someone onto a bridge or narrow canyon.

Also will enemies/bosses be visible on the map?

4. ZigZaGame

ZigZaGame Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Earth
    1) map will be in the same style as early FF and Dragon Quest games.
    2) after reading your comments, we feel the current destination touch with improved animation will be sufficient. we can revisit this if it doesn't feel "free" enough. If we make the encounter to happen while walking to the destination it will add some excitement?

3) We need help with story. We have nothing so far. You guys have any ideas for a general concept of the story? One idea we have, player gets trapped in a game world, and needs to do xxx in order to go back..is this lame city?

5. Bluebear88

Bluebear88 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Numbers 1 and 2 sound perfect to me. I grew up slaving over the FF.

Here's my shot at the storyline:
    I like your idea, but it seems a bit one dimensional. It needs some twists, some character/personal development. Say early in your journey you meet a princess or prince(depending on your selection of male or female player) and you learn this land was just over run by an oppressive country which has stationed cruel rulers in each major city to execute their law. You see an opportunity to save this land and make a friend which could possibly help you return home. Fall in love and/or just save a land, on your long road home.

Storyline two(comedy plot)
    Maybe as you fall into in this new game you just happen to land in bed with the queen, who I might add is quite pleased you've joined her;) The king then discovers you and his wife and assumes you've been plotting to steal his wife and kill him to take his throne. Naturally he sends his guards to kill you but you escape and vow to return for vengeance. Long story short, you find a land full of backwards evil rulers in each city and eventually oust them all. Then when the time comes you confront the king. You then defeat him, marry his daughter and RULE THE WORLD! Who needs to return home when you own a new one?

6. EnterNexus

EnterNexus Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Appreciate your choice of Map, sounds excellent pokemoning while going through FF style maps.

The current story sounds a bit like FF tactics for DS, but anyhow, i dont think that's a very .. replayable story, I mean, if the main character make it back to the real world, well.. what's the point of training up all the monsters/something? making the motivation leaving the fantasy world won't do, i think.

there are several alternatives, i guess

The "Classic": You just moved to this new place, time to explore it, kick some bad guy's butt, catch em all, beat the best of the best, go on to explore the world somemore, yada yada yada, this seems to works so well because it can be easily expanded on

The "Chosen One": Whoo, the protagonist is the chosen one! the person will now have to live up to the prophercy, run around, collect monsters and battle, save the world from some ultimate evil or impending doom caused by a specially powerful monster, or something, and then after this is over they can roam around and do stuff and you guys maybe able to update with quests and such.

The "I went to the academy and now I can battle with monsters": this plot was used in the Pokemon Ranger series and the iOS Zenform games, so you guys probably wont want it, but it's another one on the table i guess. This is another one that sounds like it would be great in episodes, as you can keep adding more quests and story plot every month or so and keep your players playing

.... wait a minute.
    Hunter Island? Trapped in video game world? Have someone been reading HunterXHunter? in the manga , the Hunters teleport themselves into the game ( Greed Island ) in order to finish it and make it out of the game. If this is a coincident, that's pretty awesome, and if you are looking for some plot ideas, maybe you should start reading that.

7. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    In regards to the story, I have an idea:

Give the player a reason to want to go back, and give them the freedom to decide that for themselves.

Allow me to explain: The player is trapped in the game world as per the setup, but with a twist: the player still exists in the "real" world, and continues to behave as if everything is alright, and the player can see themselves in the "real" world at save points or key points in the story arc (an A.I. system could be generated that alters some basic "real" world behaviors based on choices your character makes at key points in the story or on certain actions the player makes in the "game" world, which you can view at the save points). There is also another twist: the player has no direct control of themselves in the "real" world, and the "game" world slowly starts to spill over into the "real" world ala Digimon, if you've seen the latter half of that show's story arc. So not only does the player want to go "home", but they also want to "bring balance" to the two worlds and return everything to normal.... Or do they?

This concept can be played with: you know those "good/evil" measurement bars in most games? Well, have "jerk/shy", "bossy/pushover", "knowledgeable/ignorant", "heroic/coward", insert-any-other-duality, etc..., as many as you want, and have it all factor into the "real" world events, and have different endings based on the final result. I'm not sure the player even needs to see the measurements of these things; it could be more organic simply to put the player in the dark with regards to this idea, and let them organically "reap what they sow", so to speak. Beginning "alignments" could be determined by a questionnaire at the beginning of the game, possibly during character setup. Heck, you could disguise the questionnaire via a scripted sequence similar to Dragon Quest 3 for the Famicom (or Dragon Warrior 3 for the Gameboy Advance if you're from America), just for a starting idea.

This could work in your favor, especially if the main character is established to be ten-to-sixteen years old, which could create some interesting scenarios in both the "game" world and the "real" world. If you would like, I can PM you devs some sample "events" that could happen based on this system... probably in about 3 weeks or so, though (COLLEGE FINALS & PROJECTS ZOMG!). Let me know if you're interested ^_^

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

8. MrAlbum

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Aaaaaand PM sent!

*collapses from stress of Engineering finals*

9. jackbear

jackbear Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2012
    marketing officer~
    Indonesia
    interesting I always waiting for a game like pokemon on iphone !!

and for the story the ordinary search for the strongest one still good with this kind of game, or maybe like pokemon, there is an evil organization that plotting to take over the world.

10. Kanoki_kara

Kanoki_kara New Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Sounds awesome! :) would love to test, have previous experience. Email : [email protected]

11. MrAlbum

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    So, how's the game coming along? Can't wait to see what progress you guys have made :)

12. ayuta

ayuta Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Frankfurt, Germany
    awesome art!

I love the art of the pokemon!! Sign me up for the beta! :)

13. Dragonisland_addict

Dragonisland_addict New Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Beta testing

I would love to beta test hunter island!! I loved dragon island!!

14. MrAlbum

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    I get what you're saying. That would be awesome if they did that ;)

But I have to ask myself: what would it take for ZigZag Games to make THIS game along those suggestions you're making?

1.) A complete rewrite of the engine code.

2.) A complete re-drawing/re-creating of the art assets

3.) A completely different approach to sound design (there would need to be a ton more ambience, for example)

That sounds like making a completely new game from scratch. Personally, I'd rather they finish THIS game, AS THEY SPECIFIED IT'S GOING TO BE (as long as there are no massive glitches :) ) and THEN encourage them to make what you're suggesting, and it is a good suggestion. But, it isn't what they have already built for the game based off of the info in this thread, and there is no worse feeling than having to delete/shred/destroy fresh work and re-think an entire project.

Now, with that in mind....

I can totally see this game being an improvement over Dragon Island if the monster sprites changed 1.) when being attacked 2.) when attacking someone/something 3.) when at 50% health 4.) when at 25% health 5.) when afflicted with a status condition. Yes, that's drawing five or so extra sprites per monster, but that would improve the game by giving each monster their own visual personality, AND it is not asking the devs to abandon all their current progress.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

15. n00sipher

n00sipher Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Engineer
    Philippines
    Can't wait. Dragon Island is one of my all time favorite ios games. :)

16. comicx90

comicx90 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    #56 comicx90, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    So I have a story Idea, please give feedback? Forgive me if this doesn't connect right

There was an Island around centuries ago which had many creatures. One man may have discovered it while on a discovery trip. His ship crash lands on the Island, leaving him with only his resources. He notices these creatures all around and is fascinated by them. Then suddenly, is almost attacked by one. But one specific monster saves him. The man becomes friends with the monster that saved him. The monster and the man then explore the land, surprisingly (or it may not even come to a surprise) there are many other people who have trained the monsters on this Island. Fighting monsters came to be a tradition the man had learned from people there. Even other people have crash landed and now willingly choose to live there and have no complaints since they live on a island (has that paradise feel to it) The island never had a name to it, but the man had called it "Hunter Island"

Decades later the island becomes an attraction home to hundreds of monsters and also holds the "gran daddy" or "wrestlemania" of events if you will, "The Hunter Island tournament" (I thought it would be cool to have a tournament within the place that "started it all" if you know what I mean)

The monsters themselves became famous, and even have been transported around the globe to be pets or even used in international tournaments.

Oh and about the man, he is later revealed as your ancestor and you share a unique bond with him and also with the monster that saved him.
    Then comes you. You are a mega Hunter Island wanting to become a monster trainer (that may sound cliche but please pardon XD)

For some specific reason when you go to the island expecting an attraction you're in for the thrill of your life when you go off course, lose the people you were with and go beyond the island's attractions. Just like your ancestor you are almost attacked and saved by a specific creature (the one of which is the exact same species that saved your ancestor) You then work your way around the island looking for monsters who could be possible allies and battle monsters that are enemies, (you can still capture your enemies and train them) So yea that was my idea. There may be something missing so you can point me out on it.

17. TuffyCactus1

TuffyCactus1 Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Storyline idea

Ok, so you(main character) is a 13 year old boy/girl. He is visited in the night by a mystical being(legendary monster) with a distress call. The monster island has been overrun by a clan of enchanted statues called golem clan. The being shows him a vision of the chaos on the island, and the friendly monsters being slaughtered by the golems, and the more hostile monsters. It asks you to come to the island, and your character agrees.

Tbe next morning, he wakes up on a beach, only yards away from a monster village. He befriends one of three monsters(relations from pokemon) and that monster follows him everywhere. He discovers there are humans on the island as well. He meets a young girl/boy named Rose/Ryan. She/He instantly falls in love with the player and joins the players team with their monster. They together take over a nearby stronghold of golems and hostile monsters(or beasts) I will add more if anyone likes it.
    I would like to sign up for beta testing.

18. ZigZaGame

Oct 25, 2010
    Earth
    Happy New Year Everyone!

Sorry for the lack of responses, I am a little tied up with Dragon Island update.

Thanks for the story suggestions, while we like them, some are a little too difficult to handle with our current engine and resources. But we will definitely take note of them for future game engine expansion. Others, we can incorporate into our game, as we have an idea now for a general theme. It was very helpful, thank you.

I will return to being a toucharcader once we finish with the DIB update.
    Sorry if I missed any questions, little overwhelmed at the moment.

On a side note, we'd like to change up skills used by monsters in Hunter Island so that they don't feel the same.

any new skill ideas? (passive or active)

19. Artemys

Artemys Active Member

Nov 6, 2012
    High-School Student
    Open for Beta-testing:D

Would be an honor to beta test this game!:)

20. ZigZaGame

Oct 25, 2010
    Earth
    thanks! its not at beta stage yet, we will notify everyone once we get there.