Do my iad sums add up?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by derpderp, Dec 15, 2011.

1. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    #1 derpderp, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    Hi all,

Please note, this is all theoretical and I know the download number is unrealistic.

OK, here we go.

Free app gets 2,000,000 plays

Every time it is played, it shows 6 ads (over the play time, assuming all are displayed) generating 6 cents

I get a 3% click though rate at 0.25c each (im assuming that's the lowest payment for a click through)

So
    2,000,000 * 0.06c = $120,000 from impressions
    2,000,000 * 3% (CTR) * 0.25c = $15,000 from click through.

=$135,000 from iads before apple take their cut.

Am I completely off here?

I think I may have at-least one number completely wrong :/

Thanks in advance!

2. Gguo

Gguo Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2010
    CEO,Programmer,Uh.. All Thing [ one-man Company :)
    Its differ by what AD you show. (but you can't choose them you can only block them)

Very few AD (like Toyota) generate revenue by impression.

Most AD generate revenue only by click through.

3. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Ahh OK. My sums were WAAAY off then :)

4. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    One number you got wrong is 1 cent for an impression. You'll probably need 10 impressions to make one cent at best. Possibly 30 or 40.

I once did some math based on eCPM numbers someone shared with me, and I'm sure it was a dollar earned per 3000 impressions. Something like that.

5. jeremy.provost

jeremy.provost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The best thing to look at is eCPM numbers. That is the amount of money you make, on average, for every 1,000 impressions. iTunes Connect gives you this figure. I can share some figures from our apps, but your own milage will vary based on how many ads are displayed to the user, when they are displayed, and how prominently they are displayed.

Our newest app, Cricket Words, has been out about a month. It has an eCPM of $1.42. My understanding is this is a decent number. Honestly, we're super-agressive about showing ads. At this rate your 2,000,000 impressions would earn you $2,840: a far cry from $135,000.

Another app we have is Private Writer, which is not a game. It has averaged an eCPM of $3.09 since it was released. Again, at 2,000,000 impressions you'd still only come out to $6,180.

In either case you also have to factor in that you will not have anything near 100% fill rate. Cricket Words is averaging 53% fill rate. Private Writer? A disappointing 24%.

In our experience, the issue is not so much getting a decent eCPM but getting enough people using your apps that all of those impressions are being made.

6. jeremy.provost

jeremy.provost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    One other item I wanted to mention. Our eCPM for iAd has been much, much higher than AdMob. However, we do use AdMob for failover if we can't get iAds displayed. It's better than nothing.

7. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    There are far to many variables to reliably predict what you might be able to achieve. iAds are limited to a very small number of countries, and even within those countries, fill rates can be very low. On top of that, eCPMs (effective revenue per 1000 banner displays) can be highly variable too.

IF you managed to get 12,000,000 banner requests in the countries which iAds supports alone, you could probably expect a fill rate between 20-50%. On successful displays, you could probably expect an eCPM of between US$1.50-3.00.

So, bottom end you MIGHT get US$3.6k and top end you MIGHT get US$18k based on the numbers above.

If you backfilled iAds with something like AdMob, then you'll see a revenue increase on top of that, though it would only be a marginal increase when looking at the top end estimate above.

You need a LOT of ads to make good money.

8. James Green

James Green Member

Sep 30, 2011
    iad mainly works in western europe and in U.S..so you wil not get any impressions from other countriesÂ…