Haiti Relief?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MMP, Jan 13, 2010.

1. MMP

MMP Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Are any other app developers willing to give away a few days of sales to support the relief effort in Haiti?

We want to do something but not without other devs in hand so that it doesn't seem like we just want PR.

I (Joshua Hernandez) lived in Puerto Rico for a big part of my life and flew to Haiti regularly for Karate competitions and have a lot sympathy for an already hurting country in this time of crisis.

If we can band together a good portion of developers and use any means possible to help raise funds it will be going to a good cause.

Thoughts?

2. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #2 bravetarget, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
    Count Water Your Body officially in -- really great job OP

3. Amelia

Amelia Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    i don't think that's the point. I think the point is, people want to help other people and donating a couple days of sales could be really good PR and help a lot of people who are in a really bad situation. I have a lot of compassion for the people in Haiti. That country has had a really hard history.

PM me about what you are envisioning.

4. I think this is a very good idea.

I would be willing to donate 100% of the sales from my game Charmed to this idea for some period of time.

We would need a simple webpage to show which apps are participating. I am willing to either host it at my site (e.g., www.mindjuice.net/haitirelief) or register a domain for it (e.g., www.haitiapprelief.com).

5. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    I would be into participating in this with our games. Keep me in the loop.

6. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Sounds like a fantastic idea, I would participate, but I'm not a dev :(

7. #7 MindJuice, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    You can participate by purchasing the games that are featured. :)

8. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    An inspired idea MMP! :) Just spoke to Glenn & he's in.

Mindjuice - I would suggest your second suggestion (ie a new domain not connected with any individual dev/company). Sales of Ground Effect are pretty crap right now but I think Glenn can spare a day's sales (as I guess many of you can). Sort of puts the concepts of 'hardship' & 'suffering' into perspective....

9. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey yeah!

10. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    I'm astounded by some people's sense of humour :(

11. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

If you all do this, post a list. I would be willing to buy some games to help out. I don't think you need to donate 100% of your sales though. However, that is up to you.

12. MMP

MMP Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Gears are in motion

Talked to MindJuice and we are setting up a website. We need to find a reputable Charity where the funds will be going and set up a communication channel between developers to share sales information and keep the running total on the site.

Thanks to all who are interested in participating. The best thing you can do now is to get other devs motivated so let the Tweets and Emails start flying to come here and hook up with us.

13. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    With the exception of one dumb post at the beginning, I think people have been very serious/mature about this. What makes you say that?

14. This is an option:
    http://freethechildren.com/?gclid=CIqP3qHUop8CFQ975Qod3i4FTA

15. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    Here's a list of Haiti relief organizations that are looking for donations: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail??blogid=95&entry_id=55175

And I think I'm most into donating to these people: http://www.haitiaction.net/About/HERF/HERF.html

16. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I'm not a dev but I wanted to say this is a fantastic idea and it's great seeing people already signing up! I'll definitely be chipping in on the consumer side when the site is up. It'd be awesome if enough dev's participate to have TA feature it.

17. MMP

MMP Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    I think the Free The Children option is pretty strong. Thanks for the list micah!

18. MMP

MMP Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Thanks Outkast1 .. hit up your favorite devs and point them here ;)

19. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

This is a great idea! More power to all the devs participating in this, I will personally be buying some games involved in this. Now if we could Gameloft to give their sales for a week we could make a huge difference ;)

20. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    We don't have an app up for sale yet, so we can't donate sales, but would love to help out in anyway we can. If you need help with the website, or anything else, just let me know. I'll also be sure and buy up a few of whatever apps participate, wish I could buy Charmed again!