MicRogue - Strategy Puzzle Game.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JasonHPickering, Sep 14, 2013.

1. JasonHPickering

JasonHPickering Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Hi guys, I wanted to tell everyone about the next game I am working on.

MicRogue
    [​IMG]

You move a hero through a tower of enemies. Its very similar to a chess style game of moving into a space kills an enemy, and you are equally fragile. All enemies will do different things, so it becomes a balancing game of managing enemies and their positions.

[​IMG]

I am going to try updating this regularly to keep everyone up to date. as well as answering any questions. Next time I will talk about the difficultly increase and unlocks.

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    MicRogue looks great, keep us updated. Relic Rush was a bit too casual for my taste. Will there be loot?

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh this looks good.

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Ending but with pixel graphics, looks cool. Will be keeping an eye on this one

5. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Look nice, want to see gameplay vid

6. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    undeadcow: there will be no loot for the heroes. I want the heroes to be really disposable, like you are just sending guy after guy into this tower to get treasures. That said there will be treasures, which I will cover further down in the post. I am also aiming something a bit harder then Relic Rush. I went with a really broad appeal on that, and this game seems to be a bit more focused.

Bronxsta: I have actually talked with Aaron. We have had a lot of the same ideas, but came at them from different points.

_Max_: I don't actually know how I can capture video yet. So it might just be animated gifs for the time being.

Gameplay: the game currently works like this. the player enters the tower and begins climbing floors to get the treasure. Levels and Monsters are all randomized. When a player gets the treasure, the evil lord of the tower becomes angry and does something to make the tower harder. Adding more floors, New Enemies, and traps. players will be able to look at each treasure which will all have little back stories and also amount of heroes that died getting the treasure.

All enemies are also different. for example the Rat moves one space in the cardinal directions, where as the skeleton moves one space diagonally. Later on the enemies become a bit more difficult, like enemies that hinder play movement, are unkillable, or teleport around the level.

7. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    today going to talk a bit about the trap system

so usually in games, a trap is a unseeable square that you wander into, and you usually have no way of dodging it. That didnt really work for this game though so I went with something a bit different. I wanted traps to be something you can use to your advantage, so traps will be always visible, and they will also go off at specific intervals.

Spikes: Spikes will shoot out of the ground every 3 turns. killing anything that is currently standing in that space.

Statues: Statues will stand guard and will attack the player if he moves with in one space of them in the cardinal directions. Monsters will be fine though so this gives space the player can not traverse, but the monsters can.

Walls: Walls that alternate from being down and passable to up and blocking player and monsters.

Fireball A column that will blast fire in a cardinal direction, alternating around clockwise.

8. Bronxsta

This sounds cool. A lot of stuff to consider. Anticipating this

Will it be free or paid?

9. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    paid. I am thinking 1.99, but it will launch at a sale price of 99 cents. Also thinking about maybe doing an ad supported version, but that's all pretty up in the air at the moment, but if you follow along it will be 99 cents and no IAP, so no need to worry about that.

10. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    So I need a few extra beta-testers (Web version). Would anybody be interested?

11. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I am. This looks amazing.

12. Bronxsta

Sure. Looks cool

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #13 undeadcow, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    I'm always down for a good beta test. Thanks in advance for any consideration, have a gmail account.

14. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    #14 JasonHPickering, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    So I got enough testers for now. Game is coming along nicely. I am getting very close to being able to send out some beta builds to review sites.

15. NLjaan

NLjaan Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Color me intrigued! I'd love to Beta-test this! Chess is one of my favorite pastimes as of lately.

16. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    yeah I started with that chess idea, but then its quickly got to be a bit crazier. I can tell you there is an enemy who moves similar to the knight and it really complicates things.

17. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    moving along. Working on my sound system now, and getting all the little bits. I have also added a cutoff on content. so I have all the content I want in the launch currently in. I still have a pretty big list of content, but those will be in future updates.

So this is an odd question that I always wondered about. would you pay for an expansion if you knew it was going to be free eventually as a way to support the dev. I mean if the developer was completely honest and said.

"Hey here is an expansion you can buy it for a dollar. In a month the expansion will be rolled into the game for free. think of the dollar as a donation to keep up development"

18. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    more code updates. lots of small bugs to fix. also adding in the tutorial now. also running it on my iPad for testing. small engine bug about scaling that I am waiting for them to fix, then I might have a hands on video.

19. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    Working on a new enemy. The Dragon. It will probably be pretty tough to beat. It will be unkillable, and also have a pretty good movement range. (It might also just straight up stomp other monsters.) It starts a level asleep though. here is a gameplay GIF with temp aniamtions.

[​IMG]

20. JasonHPickering

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    working on the Win Screen.

[​IMG]