Porting games?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by undeadblade, Feb 8, 2014.

1. undeadblade

undeadblade Member

Dec 19, 2013
    I was just wondering what hoops one would have to go through in order to port a game over to the appstore? I myself, am a huge fan of the resident evil series (mainly resident evil 0-4) and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to port one of those games over to iOS... Would I have to contact capcom and ask them too?

Not only that but maybe try porting some other games... Like the classic FPS "Blood" for example.

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Yes you would need permission of the licence holder (which will normally involve paying a fee).

3. undeadblade

undeadblade Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Oh ok. How would i go about doing that? Would I e-mail Capcom do you think?

4. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    You could try, but unless you have a good development history and a handy pile of money don't expect any luck with resident evil. It is a premium brand.

5. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Actually it's not to hard if you go into the main menu of the resident evil games and press up,down,left,left,x,lr,down,down it emails you all the code and artwork to you and an objective c build.

Capcom have repeatly said they are happy for anyone to take all there work and resell it as its totally open source and copyright free.

They have said that it would be best for people with absolutely no game development experience would be best suited to port the game and that all they really need is to be fans of the game.

6. undeadblade

undeadblade Member

Dec 19, 2013
    #6 undeadblade, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    People on these forums sure do give the Toucharcade developer community a good name! I know Objective-C, as well as java (for android) very, very well. I have no clue how to go about requesting to port games, as I am only 17 years old (better to start early right?) So that's simply what I was asking.

I already assumed Capcom would take a percentage, because it is their IP. it's also a bit ignorant to assume i have no experience, don't you agree? I started learning C++ at 13 and progressed from there. It's alright, I can't blame you for your ignorance, as you don't know me. However, I won't be rude, because I have respect for other people (I learned that one as a kid.)

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I get he hit is point a little bit too far, but I found it humorous.

Knowing this additional info, I doubt you have any chance at all getting anywhere near that IP. There are plenty of established developers, with a long history of development, who would pay a lot of money to be able to use that IP. This is even more true because they are still actively used.

Also I very much doubt you would use objective C and Java for this type of thing. It is more likely you would use an established game engine like unity or unreal.

8. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    #8 ThreeCubes, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

I actually made the assumption that you had "absolutely no game development experience" and as it turns out I was 100% right. I made this assumption on the basis that you seemed to be so ignorant of game development that you where not even sure if you would even have to ask CapCom if you were porting one of their games. Then you were under the delusion that you could just email them.

Theres 9 - 10 year olds on this forum making games these days so at 17 your already over the hill!

If you want to make games download (for free) unity and make your own horror game with your own ideas then when your a success CapCom may let you in the door.

9. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    He could try lesser premium brands like Blood...

10. undeadblade

undeadblade Member

Dec 19, 2013
    #10 undeadblade, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    I already have UDK and unity downloaded. It's still very ignorant to say you are "100% right". I have written many games in C++. From text based games to platformers. If 17 is over the hill, then I hate to know what the majority of developers (20 year olds to what, 40 year olds?) are.

How did you also get the information that 9 - 10 year olds on these forums are making games? That's a little creepy you would know that... I'm not sure what you mean by "you were* not even sure if you would even have to ask CapCom" as i already knew that I had too, its common sense. I might have just worded it wrong in the original post, which is my fault.

I wasn't trying to be rude because I had respect for you... Oh well, I had to say, what I felt had to be said. So, with that, I apologize if I came off rude above.

11. Ser Valyrian

Ser Valyrian New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Sorry Undeadblade, but as unfriendly as some of the advice here has been, they are correct that you need to prove yourself first.

If you want to make a deal like that with Capcom, an email would be a non-starter. You'd have to have connections where you can ask someone who knows someone. The best way to get those connections is to start small and get some published games under your belt.