Let's boycott Sega

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BOWB4ZOD, Jul 17, 2009.

?

No more sega games

1. To hell with sega

54.6%
  2. I will still buy them

12.1%
  3. I don't care

31.2%
  4. What's a sega?

2.1%
  1. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    #1 BOWB4ZOD, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    So looks like sega release another half assed port for the iPhone.
    I think it is time we sent sega a message.

Let's not buy their games on the iPhone untill they clean up their act.

Who is with me.

Let your rage out here.

2. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    They've certainly fumbled when it comes to their iPhone ports. My guess is a lack of confidence in the platform, which leads to less risks being taken and Sega attempting to push the games out as cheaply and effectively as possible.

You can always Jailbreak and use the Genesis emulator (I tried it once, noticed some minor performance issues but I'm not sure if it's the same across all games). Obviously I don't encourage the illegal download of ROMs.

But yeah, Sega need to realise that if they released the best of the Genesis performing perfectly on the platform, they'd make a killing.

3. coolman

coolman Well-Known Member

What is doing Sega with iPhone games justs sucks.

Come on Sega, make it from scratch (you have the source code) or send it to me and I'll do native in Xcode :D

4. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Eh, really does suck that they refuse to update any of their games really. Sad how a company can grow so big only to fall like this.

5. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Too late. I was boycotting SEGA from the start.

Half assed rip-offs don't belong on the iPhone
    LET THE ROLANDO LIVE!

6. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    I'm letting my wallet speak for this one! I feel offended by this ports :mad:

7. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    If they port mean bean machine and screw it up, i'll join this angry mob.

8. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I think Konami are also worth boycotting. They've released some really disappointing games of late.

9. beachmusic

beachmusic Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    I wouldnt put Konami in the same boat as Sega!

10. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Why boycott them? Surely them releasing steaming piles like that are, is going to bit them ultimately anyway.

Konami are on my sh!t list too, right now - until they release their latest Baseball title in the UK. Still can't get my head around why they'd not sell it globally - weird.

Jamie.

11. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    This is ridiculous.
    Boycott Sega? This is a completely idiotic post. You boycott companies like Nestle for giving arguably harmful and addictive milk alternative to babies in the third world, you boycott Coca Cola for allegedly killing union workers.

This is Sega, they released a handful of Genesis emulated ports. Sonic and Golden Axe plays 100% smoothly on the 3GS, nothing to complain about considering the grand scheme of things.

Fair enough, we all want an original iPhone Sonic, but Sega are hardly an unethical company are they?

12. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    No, Konami actually MAKES games exclusively for iphone. DDRS is still one of my most played games.

SEGA, on the other hand are putting together easy cash-ins that require no effort whatsoever... TO HELL WITH SEGA!

13. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    I never liked sega from the beginning
    Mario>Sonic
    to hell with sega

14. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Excellent post. I am just quoting you so that it appears twice. Someone once used the expression; "rose coloured glasses" to describe the world views shared by many forum members. I am once again reminded of that phrase by the shallow values in this discussion.

15. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    whilst it may seem absurd to boycott a company like sega i do see the OPs point.

if the games had been made with care and attention, ran as good as the original or even added new features then no one would be prepared to even respond to this thread.

the fact is people are right in standing up and not accepting this overpriced crap from sega anymore. its freedom of speech, its not absurd at all. some people will not care and buy and pay for what they feel is a worthwhile game. others can sense the greed and dont want this to be a trend that is set to continue, not without a fight. comparing the entertainment industry with the food industry doesnt seem to fit tho.

ive not seen any evidence to bash konami either. DDR was a very well crafted game for iphone.

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm willing to take a solemn pledge here. I'm going to boycott all Sega iphone games UNTIL they make a game I'm interested in that doesn't suck...that'll show'em! ;)

17. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Something doesn't need to be unethical for a boycott to take place. The point of a boycott is to draw attention where other attempts to do so have failed. Sega aren't exactly the kind of company to listen to the small guy so a boycott is possibly the only avenue left open to the consumer - if enough people stop buying then they'll have to listen.

My point though was, if their games are junk then this'll happen anyway, regardless of whether or not an organised boycott takes place.

Jamie.

18. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I'm not buying them.

But I'm not boycotting, I'm simply not buying bad games. It's simple as that.

19. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    It's a shame you would even compare ported sega games to those problems.

We are talking about video games here dude, on the iPhone, not milk products and killing people. I didn't compare the sega ports to those problems. I am comparing sega to other iPhone game companies.

Try to stay on topic please.

20. sf49lu

sf49lu Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Sylvania, OH
    Ya every single one of SEGA's games are terrible ports that probably took them very little time to port over to the ipod/iphone. I bought Sonic...big mistake. Columns Deluxe was free...still big mistake. Only thing that is "decent" is super monkey ball