Game-App Icons changed after Reboot

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TonreG, Jun 23, 2009.

1. TonreG

TonreG Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    #1 TonreG, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
    Hello,

i have no idea, how and why that happened:

After I installed New York Nights and CSI: Miami and Emijo Icons I rebooted my iPhone 3G with the Home- and the Power-Button.

Then I wanted to play CSI:Miami, cuz I'm a Fan of those shows in the TV. I didn't find it immediately, cuz I didn't look at the Name, but at the Icons.

My New York Nights has now an Icon of Simcity and my CSI:Miami has now an icon of Glass Tower. My Emijo Icons has now an icon of Castle of Magic! I don't understand it and i thank you herbivorous for your help!

best regards,
    TonreG

P.S.: Here is a Pic:

[​IMG]

P.S.2: i have already deleted all apps with the problem and reinstalled them, but the icons are changed as always...

2. TonreG

TonreG Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Nobody any ideas??? :(:confused::confused::confused::confused:

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I would try a restore from back up. Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank.

4. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    I had the same problem on my new 16gb 3GS. I had 4 or 5 app icons that changed into icons of other apps that i had on my phone. What i had done was, i bought/installed some apps from the Appstore DIRECTLY from my phone. I then synced some previously purchased apps from iTunes(with my phone plugged in).

Then i did a hard reboot(home and power buttons) and when my phone came back on, i had duplicate icons. What i noticed first was, that the duplicate icons were dark and kind of blacked out(like the one in your screenshot), and also that the only apps that made duplicates were the ones i installed from the Appstore on my phone.

For instance, one of the apps was Bejeweled 2, which purchased directly from my phone. Then i installed Need for Speed, which i had previously purchased from iTunes. After i rebooted, Need for Speed had Bejeweled's icon but kind of blacked out as i mentioned before. I had the exact same thing with the 3 other apps i bought directly from my phone.

The only way i could fix it was to uninstall both the apps with the wrong icons, and the apps i bought with my phone. Even after un-installing using iTunes, i still had a couple of the duplicate "blacked out" icons left on my homescreen, even though iTunes showed them as un-installed. I actually had to manually delete them by pressing the "x" in the corner of the icon.

Then i just re-installed all the apps, and just to check, i rebooted my phone again and everything was back to normal.

So if you're still having this problem, the only way i know to fix it is to un-install every app that has a duplicate icon, and of course the duplicate-icon apps themselves. I'm assuming you'd rather not do that, because you'll obviously lose all your game progress for those apps. (lucky for me, i didn't have much progress saved since my phone is only a few days old)

This is obviously some kind of bug in OS 3.0, and hopefully Apple is aware of it and will fix it in a future update.

I forgot to ask. The apps that had duplicate icons, did you install them directly from your phone?

5. TonreG

TonreG Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    thanks for the answer:

i bought them at itunes without connecting the iphone and bought them for nothing at the app store on the iphone and installed them on the iphone.

then i did the hard reboot!

it is crazy, cuz my ny nights icon was the simcity icon, which i deleted a day or two before i bought ny nights.

i will try it! thanks

6. TonreG

TonreG Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    #6 TonreG, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
    a big thanks to you!

it works ;)

7. venkman

venkman New Member

Jun 23, 2009
  8. Bdan11191

Bdan11191 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Had the same problem and a simple hard reset fixed everything for me. :p

9. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    this is wierd...i never had any problems with icons yet...:confused:

10. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I had the same problem a few times now :( but sounds like you have it under control. My steps where to uncheck the duplicated icons and sync my phone. After they were uninstalled I rechecked the games and re-synced the phone and all was well. It is a strange happening though :confused:

11. TonreG

TonreG Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009

It will work! My Icons are now the right icons! ;)