Do you play more mobile games or console/PC games? - A Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bronxsta, May 1, 2013.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed something. I've got a 360 in my brother's room and a PS3 in mine, a laptop with access to tons of flash and freeware games, and yet they mostly go untouched.

Nowadays most of my gaming is done on my iPhone. I never thought I'd say that. I have so many AAA retail games collecting dust - games like Far Cry 3, Dark Souls, X Com, Red Dead Redemption that used to keep me occupied for hours - and now they go untouched.

Recently the majority of my gaming time has been divided between Block Fortress, Hunters 2 (11 hours, wow!), and World of Goo.

I guess the primary catalyst for this shift is the portability. My iPhone is at my side 24/7, compared to my room-bound consoles. But the other reason is quality. Take my current addiction Block Fortress. Now that's a game that rivals any XBLA or PSN game in quality, depth, and fun and it's on my phone. Ignoring the ever-present shadow of freemium, mobile gaming has matured into a platform offering experiences equal to or surpassing what's on console

So how about you? Predominately console/PC or mobile or both?

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Both. I really enjoy some iOS titles and the portability cannot be matched, but when I have time at home and am "in the mood ;)" I sit down at my PC and play a round of Killing Floor or progress some more in AC2 or try and finally beat Chaos Theory.

iOS has a hard time matching any console/PC title when portability or availability don't come into play. Sure, I like MC4 and have a blast with O&C, I really like Fangz, NFS and Perfect Cell, but only a few (Fangz, O&C) would I actually boot up on my computer.

One exception: Walking Dead on iPad beats TWD on consoles/PC any day, just unfortunate they didn't include the shadow effects. Typical unoptimized Telltale game.

3. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Probably iOS games more :p I can just carry them wherever I go and whenever I go.

4. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I haven't turned on a console in over a year.

5. #5 Connector, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
    Mobile, though my mobile system is a console. I do have an older xbox with tons of games and I never play it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Let's just say I've had the Collector's Edition of God of War: Ascension for over a month now and it's still sealed.

7. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I don't even own a console, but if I did, I would still pick iOS over it. It just has great games to enjoy for a short time or many hours. If it wern't for the f2p, iOS could be, IMO, a perfect platform. The low prices are great, but added, they are A LOT. I get kind of sick thinking about how much money I have spent on iOS. When MC4 looks this good on an iPad mini, it just goes to show how far iOS has come.

8. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Haha, wow. Now that's insane. 0.0

9. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

In the last five weeks alone, I've spent 65 dollars on IOS games. And remember most IOS games only range from 0.99 to 4.99

So I know what you mean about money spent

Sure, I'm definitely going to drop $60 on The Last of Us next month but when you consider how many quality premium IOS you can get for that same amount...

10. #10 Connector, May 1, 2013
    Yeah, I would any day of the week, have 60 ios buck apps than one console game! Especially if you get some ios games on sale, you get a lot of great games on ios for $60. I really like that diversity of games. And many ios games could almost pass as a console game especially with hdmi tv and an icade joystick.

I wonder if there is anyone here that would rather have just one console game over 60 games that I got for a buck...

Nova 3
    Wild Blood
    Asphalt 7
    Virtua Tennis
    NFS Most Wanted
    Tabletop Racing
    Repulze
    Mikey shorts
    Reckless racing 2
    Final fwy 2r
    Boost 2
    Zaxxon
    Catch the arc
    Lili
    Pizza vs skeletons
    Crumble zone
    Cling
    Mutant fridge
    Time surfer
    Luma bears
    Archibald
    Rayman
    Spunk and moxie
    Sonic cd
    Plasma sky
    League of evil 2
    The other brothers
    Skyriders
    Beat hazard
    Cut the rope hd
    Angry birds star wars hd
    Bad piggies hd
    Bug panic
    Icarus x
    Syder arcade hd
    Parallax 2
    Buster spirits
    Alpha zero
    Arc squadron
    Twingo
    Joining hands
    Light the flower
    Gnu revenge
    Webbies
    Eager beaver
    Where's my water
    Where's perry
    Iblast moki 2
    Sprinkle
    Stretched
    Pebble universe
    Follow the rabbit
    Fire busters
    Monster island hd
    Twist pilot
    Chu chu rocket
    Cover orange hd
    Amazing alex hd
    Angry birds space hd

Would anyone here trade all this for one console game???

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    100% mobile gaming for me, had a Wii, hardly touched it, had an X-Box for a short period, hardly touched it.

Dont get me wrong theres great games on those machines but now having less time nowadays (have a young daughter) iOS gaming is great for when i have a few minutes here and there.

I dont have to have leads to the TV with a console then my daughter upset that she cant watch one of her programs etc ! Mobile gaming all the way for me now

12. When not playing hdmi tv, many times I actually like to play games when watching tv broadcasts!

Especially the news, shows like Extra, sports, game shows, etc. I will just play on my ipad resting on my ipad sleeve on my chest on my bed, or in my lap; and play games while kinda watching tv.

When something interesting comes on my tv, boom, pause my ipad game, when the commercials come on, boom, my ipad comes back to life.

You can't do this with a console, though maybe you could with picture in picture... Hehe. :)

13. Pocketnova

Oct 15, 2012
    Frick no! I wouldn't even trade those for a console and the game! Some of those games are just SO amazing. Not to mention, there is a ton of verity, whereas one console game is one console game. No more, no less.

14. EddyDaKing

EddyDaKing Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Sorry but it's PC gaming for me. There just isn't enough appealing online multiplayer games to keep me interested for long. Playing with someone is more fun than playing by yourself IMO. But don't get me wrong there are some real good single player games out there.

15. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    My xbox died and I loaned my wii out and never got it back so until I get the ps4 and wii u its mobile gaming only for me.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #16 MidianGTX, May 1, 2013
    I play mobile games more frequently and in higher numbers, but they don't last nearly as long. I could download 100 iOS games and still get less time out of them than I do from a single console game. There's still a huge amount of difference in depth and quality between the average iOS game and the average console game. Nevertheless, each platform has it's pros and cons and I'm sitting quite happily in both camps.

As this photo will attest, I don't do anything by halves (it's not even the whole collection):

[​IMG]

Oh, and in regards to Connector's list... I'd rather have Dark Souls than all of those :)

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Fair enough, i'm not interested in online gaming so that doesnt bother me. I love Dream League Football, think i'm good at it, second i try online i no doubt get beaten by some 14 year old kid who plays it 24/7 as they dont have to go out and work !

I just love the ability to play so many different varied games on iOS quickly and whenever i want without having to hog the TV or hook everything up or go to my computer room and not see my family if i want some gaming.

With my ipod i can read books, read comics, watch movies , play a TON of games etc, just so handy. Plus being away with work a bit its great to have as well. iOS gaming all the way !

18. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Holy shyt. That's...wow...how much blood and treasure it take you to amass that collection?

19. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #19 Aventador, May 1, 2013
    Don't play PC games that much anymore, here and there comes game with amazing story (Alan Wake ) , beautiful platformer ( Rayman Origins ) or game with casual and amazing multiplayer experience ( Mount and Blade franchise ) you can't get on iOS devices .
    From other perspective, I discovered many good platformers on iOS for on-to-go fun, lots of masterly ported and remastered games way back from my childhood I never did finish, couple of new game genres I got hooked on like bullet hell games ,indie games that are so refreshing in every segment ( like Crabitron and Little inferno ) and got myself again into boardgames ( not that I owned many - Cluedo, Risk and Monopoly ), I can't believe how amazing digital ports of boardgames look on iOS devices.
    So yes, iOS is my main gaming platform because nowadays I'm more into casual games, but it still boast a handful choice of hardcore games , be it singleplayer or multiplayer, that need more time involvement for "real" players :)

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    My biggest issue with iOS gaming is story and immersion. Nothing even comes close to the league of BioShock or Dead Space, except maybe a few ports like TWD and Bastion. Vice City, too...but that's another port.

Super high hopes for Forgotten Memories, but other than that and a few other releases I don't have much to look forward to on this platform than more freemium-ization of good games/franchises like RR3. Sad, really.