How do you get your app reviewed [Uggles]

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DaveMc99, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  2. Xyzl

Xyzl Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Me too. :) So far this has largely been: "Put a great deal of work into the game, make something you yourself enjoy playing, and hope for the best". I'm not quite sure why Touch Arcade decided to feature Realmaze3D with all the others out there, but obviously I'm very happy and thankful about that, and have tried to capitalize on it. It's currently #26 in the top 100 puzzle games, and most of the iTunes reviews are 5-star, which is more than I could have hoped for.

--Eric

4. SMN

SMN Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    #24 SMN, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
    Hello there, I am a reviewer from playontouch (by the way Eric we reviewed your game and gave 3.8/5 mainly due to the lack of content since the game is very good).

Maybe it's not same because we're a french blog and not very famous yet but I don't get why big sites like TouchArcade or Slidetoplay for exemple wouldn't be nice with dev, if your game are as good as you're saying (nice rank means good game) they could at least answer your mail, to be honest we have been contacted by 3 developers so far xD and we were really happy to answer them and publish them.

5. Jane

Jane Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Reviews, I thought about putting this into the developers forum (and maybe a mod will move it) but I also thought that this is relevant to non-developers too!

I'm responsible for PR at frogameleon, we are a small indie development company 2 -3 staff, and we don't have the resources or finances for a big marketing campaign. As such getting our game reviewed by one of the big sites is crucial to us having any sales success and as a result is pivotal to whether we can even make our next game.

Over the last two-three weeks I have sent press releases, promo codes and just about everything short of begging letters to all of the major review sites. Without exception I have not heard anything back, nothing, not even the courtesy of "it's not for us" response.

I fully understand that these sites receive hundreds of potential apps, but with Uggles we're sitting in the top 20 chart, and have been featured by Apple.

What does it take to get a response from the reviewers these days, has anyone else had better success, or is it only the likes of Chillingo and ngmoco that can get this kind of exposure?

From a consumers point of view, how many games are being lost in the system, purely because they are not being pushed by a major publisher?

Thoughts?

6. Jane

Jane Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Yeah you're right, I need to get more creative, I guess it makes sense that the bigger review sites will ignore us smaller/indie devs.

7. Jane

Jane Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    That's really not a bad idea, we're expanding the Uggle population with 1.2 so maybe some ideas around the new characters!

8. Jane

Jane Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Yeah that does help, thanks.

9. Jane

Jane Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
  10. Jane

Jane Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    We got a review :D:D:D Yay!

"URL removed!"

Pretty positive too, We're adding Collectables in 1.2 as well. I think our main problem at the moment is getting people to look past the 'kiddie' factor and realize that it's actually a VERY addicting fun game!:eek:

11. Jane

Jane Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    ah, I guess I shouldn't have posted that !

12. Jane

Jane Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Thats cool, no problem!