What will be the big leap in 2011?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dogface, Jan 1, 2011.

1. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

So what do you predict will be the next big step in iOS gaming akin to say Real Racing and Infinity Blade's step up on the graphics front.

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I think apple will have to completely change the hardware to compete graphicly with the newest android tegra 2 handsets and other threats like the 3ds and psp2.

Not saying the current hardware isn't capable of doing great things but I think mobile graphics will make a massive jump in the next year.

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I'm quite sure the iPhone 4 and 3GS are already faster than the 3DS.

4. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Might be in pure numbers 3DS is very capable though that chip has a lot of extra effects built in. PSP 2 is being described as a pocket ps3 by certain developers as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A-xxUyJvQQ

I think androids the real threat more than the consoles though.

5. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

In that video
    1. It's a tech demo, there are no enemys or real players atall
    2. There isn't even a background to the whole place
    3. I'm sure the Unreal Engine could do the same thing easily on iOS Devices. The Unreal engine doesen't actually run on the 3DS, right?

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Also the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4 have a much larger resolution than the 3DS.

7. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    it already has

8. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    At the minute they pretty much have in honesty the real question is how long can they hold on to it. Infinity blade is stunning so is Rage HD but technology marches on.

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yup. Games like NOVA 2, Infinity Blade, Shadow Guardian, Real Racing 2, Aralon etc easily beat the graphics of PSP, DS and 3DS games (at least from the screenshots of 3DS games we've seen so far). Gameplay quality isn't quite there yet however. Although the most recent games like the ones I mentioned above, are signs that the gameplay of iOS games is evolving.

I hope for 2011, there will be less focus on the graphics and more attention to the gameplay quality and content of games.