Nano Fighter or Occurro?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JoshC., Jul 24, 2009.

?

Which is Better?

1. Nano Fighter

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. Occurro

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. JoshC.

JoshC. Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Which is more enjoyable and contains the most longevity?
    If you have one, is the other still worth it?

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I've been playing Nano Fighter for some time, and got Occurro today, here's my take on the two of them:

Both games have good graphics and sound.

I have noticed sound clipping in Occurro when you have the upgraded shot and there are many enemies on screen.

Both games play in Landscape mode with the home button on the right. :)

Both games have online scoring - Occurro's has location based scoring, but also has adds. :(

I still think that Nano Fighter has the smoothest controls of any twin-stick fighter, hands down.

I wish Occurro had a "fixed" dual-stick control.

Occurro does have a well implemented tilt to move control, and does have variable ship speed based on how far you move your thumb from center.

Occurro feels more like Geometry Wars, i.e. it's got a box you play in, whereas Nano Fighter is completely open.

Occurro forces you to move by recharging your shots as you move. Anybody who has played Nano Fighter knows that if you don't move, you're dead already so it's basically got the same thing. :D

Nano Fighter has the option to start at later levels once you've reached them.

Occurro has a built-in flashlight and srobelight. :p

I would recommend both games for $0.99 for fans of the genre, they're quite different games from each other.

I'll have to spend more time with Occurro, but for now I like Nano Fighter better.

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'd recommend Nano Fighter as well, if you're looking for a closed-arena type of shooter like Occurro, I think I would recommend either Isotope or Light Wars before Occurro. It's a nice game though, I don't regret buying it.

4. fluffyguitarist

fluffyguitarist Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    ISOTOPE

It beats both occuro and nano fighter

5. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Isotope sure does beat both of those but I still like light wars for the simplicity of it.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    @fluffyguitarist & The_Running_Man

I agree completely, but that isn't what he asked in this thread! :rolleyes:

7. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    well if I had to pick between Nano Fighter and Occurro I'd probably go with Nano Fighter.

8. jeknightx

jeknightx Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    isotope beats both

9. Acceleroto

Acceleroto Well-Known Member

Josh, check your PMs. I vote for Occurro! - but then again, I wrote it. :D

10. X-Frame

X-Frame Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    I have Isotope, Nano, and CS.one but Occurro is the only one I didn't get yet -- though Touch Arcade gave it a really nice review I don't know what I am waiting for.

11. PDJApps

PDJApps Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Ah! My rival! ;)

Glad to see Apple really pushing your app! I'm down to ~ 5 sales a day LOL

12. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I'm sorry to hear that :eek:

Hopefully it'll get featured sometime :D

13. PDJApps

May 18, 2009
    Yeah, hopefully. If not no big deal I suppose :)

The thing that's awesome about the way they handled Occurro is they featured it in the app store in the phone and two other places in itunes at the same time. That combination has got to be a gold mine! :)

14. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    A few things Occuro could work on:

The bomb effect is... Awful :D. Make it have a cool effect, not just a white flash.
    The trail the ship leaves behind is cool, but it kind of follows the ship, and the trail doesn't stick where it was made, if you know what I mean.

15. JoshC.

JoshC. Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Thanks! ;)

16. Acceleroto

Hi! Nice to meet you! :D Small world, huh?
    It did really help. "New and Noteworthy" on iTunes seems to be the same list as the "New" list on the iPhone. The feature in games was a nice & very welcome addition! Features run for a week, so they'll be done Monday night. I thought they featured you in the "shooters" list 3-4 weeks ago...?
    Great inputs, thanks! I definitely know about the trail - that's a limitation of the game engine I'm using. There are ways around it, but most people love it as-is...you're actually the first person who's noticed that (and said anything) besides me! Good idea about the bomb effect. I initially had a wave that spread out from the ship, but I noticed there were other games that did that. I'll look into some cooler looking options.

17. PDJApps

May 18, 2009
    Yeah, that was a cool category :) I was also on new and noteworthy, but under games, and finally under staff favs, but never all at the same time. App store is such a mystery to me lol

18. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #18 Grubjelly, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    Nano Fighter beats Occurro, but get them both. The former has better graphics, music, and production values. The latter runs more smoothly, has shorter game lengths (making it less frustrating to start over) and location-based leaderboards.

Both have their quirks:

Occurro's bombs are buggy, at least when using dual-stick control, which I find preferable. Either all 3 bombs go off in a row after activating only one, or the bomb doesn't go off at all.

Nano Fighter's ship occasionally comes to a potentially fatal halt, but you won't notice it until you've gotten good and are doing some tricky navigating.

Occurro gives you 3 lives and lets you earn more quickly, but its very easy to lose the good gun and it gets harder and harder to get it back, the farther you get.

Nano Fighter gives you just one life with a shield meter that partially replenishes both after each level and with a very sparsely appearing pickup. Your weapon only gets better, never worse.

The bugs I mentioned above don't occur constantly in either game. Occurro's bombs seem buggier than the movement in Nano Fighter, which works wonderfully most of the time. In both cases, the problem may be with my device, yet I have read of others having problems with the bombs in Occurro. To be fair, I just bought the latter a couple days ago. Hope this helps

19. Acceleroto

If you're running iPhone OS 2.2.1, you may run into some issues with the bombs. iPhone 2.2.1 has a bug in it that doesn't register double taps when any other touch is on the screen. Occurro! will run on 2.2.1, but it runs better on 3.0. Also, make sure you've upgraded to the most recent version of Occurro! - I did make the bombs less fussy in the new version.