All Storm8 games removed from App store.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Blueseas25, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Blueseas25

Blueseas25 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    #1 Blueseas25, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
    It appears that all Storm8 games (World War/Imobsters/Ninjas Live/Racing live/Kingdoms Live/Vampires Live/Zombies Live etc) have been removed from the app store. They appear but cannot be downloaded any longer.

They were sued for collecting users telephone numbers recently, perhaps this was the reason they were removed. I did not play these games but always noticed them at the top of the heap in the App store, big loss for Storm8.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25980

2. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    #2 Harpgliss, Nov 9, 2009
    Hi,

If the company was using the apps to harvest phone numbers from customers, then they should have their apps removed.

At the same time, if they somehow can proove this was not intentional, then they might be able to have those apps restored to the appstore.

After they are fixed though.

I think, just from reading elsewhere around the net, they will not have a chance to get their apps reinstated to the appstore.

Thinking they did something, intentional, and got caught.

Just a feeling, no real proof to go on.

David

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    They are AppStore spammers and I'd love to see them go away. Hope they lose this case.

4. EB1089

EB1089 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Student
    Wow. It seems there's foul play in the App Store every week now (e.g. a couple weeks ago with two developers revealing the horrid numbers regarding piracy of their apps). I don't really get or understand how those online "points" games work but they look dumb (not dissing - just my opinion). I think Storm8 just got caught. Usually bugs create glitches or dips in performance, not blatantly hoarding cell phone numbers. That's pretty bad...and low. Nice job, dips.

5. RoyalCanadian

RoyalCanadian Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    what proof is there of this phone number scam? I've been playing world war for months and had no problems

6. FTomato

FTomato Member

Sep 8, 2009
    The functionality has already been removed a while back when the issue first popped up - the update was called a "Small bug fix" in the update information on the App Store.

To take the phone number requires a deliberate effort - it's impossible for it to be an "accident" or a "bug".

For more information, including the first finding of it, multiple correspondences with Apple, and a response by Storm8* check out http://i-phone-home.blogspot.com/search/label/Hall%20of%20Shame .

* - Response by Storm8:

7. Kerrby

Kerrby Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Australia
    Lets hope the apps stay off the store.

Storm8s name has been tarnished.

8. Fe1

Fe1 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    I had downloaded but never installed their games. THANK GOD they were banned. Clear message sent and received by Apple.

9. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    #9 P0tent1al, Nov 9, 2009
    Just had a read of the article and when you are transmitting wirelessly it appears that the game is supposedly capturing your phone number:

Hmmm... might be time to un-install Ninja Wars

:(

10. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    All these point games, glad to see a chunk of them leave the app store, especially if they had been farming mobile numbers.

11. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

All of those games are garbage anyways. I'd rather download a calculator and add/subtract points on there than see morons insult each other in chatlines in a game that contains text and more text that can be purchase by $.
    One down, around 50 more to go. I can only hope in time Apple can find excuses to ban all of the text "MMOs" from the store.