Question about the Review Process?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by P3Z, Jul 22, 2009.

1. P3Z

P3Z Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Slough, England
    So folks, what happens when you apply to AppStore and nothing happens?

Do you lads Shelve the product, re-jig it with advice as to why it was rejected or publish it any way, for free, as you're likely to shelve it anyway?

Not a developer, just interested in what people do.

Cheers
    Matt

2. AlexN

AlexN Well-Known Member

You go to home depot, pick up a short bit of rope and a ladder. In all seriousness, it's not a good place to be :)

If you're lucky, Apple will point out (in their indirect EULA fashion) what's wrong, and it'll be something you can fix. At this point, you restart the review process from the beginning.

If you're unlucky, it's not something you can fix, and you're screwed. Next project.

If you're REALLY unlucky, they move you into a separate queue for "additional review time", where you languish in limbo for months.

This is one of the bigger things developers complain about!

3. P3Z

P3Z Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Slough, England
    So what are the normal concerns when it comes to review? What are the normal reasons for something "not being approved, period"?

4. AlexN

AlexN Well-Known Member

Reasons that I can think of:

1. Excessive violence or sexual content
    2. Includes Apple-copyrighted material (pictures of an iPhone)
    3. Fakes damage or failure of any iPhone system (screen damage, bogus alert messages)
    4. Misrepresents the intended user interface feel of the iPhone (don't pretend you are the home screen)
    5. App small and large icons don't match (only enforced during submission, you can change them later)
    6. Encroaches on Apple-sponsored territory (podcast apps, tethering, web browser, anything they already provide software for or will in the future)
    7. App description contains local currency values (confusing to other countries)
    8. App uses unofficial API features (not always enforced...)
    9. App contains an interpreter (as in, you use scripting languages such as javascript or lua in your app. Likely not something they will notice unless you're writing an emulator)
    10. Apple doesn't like you

I'm sure there's plenty of other reasons. It's all highly subjective and can change from reviewer to reviewer. As for what would imply your app will NEVER be accepted... well that just depends on whether the offending item is something you are able/willing to change. And, maybe you'll just get lucky and your next reviewer will let it slide - but it works both ways, subsequent updates to an approved app can be denied for existing behavior.

5. P3Z

P3Z Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Slough, England
    So, and this may be a questionable comment, but why not put the app on the icy or cydia store?

6. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Because the App Store is a much bigger market! Also, I am not sure if you can charge for games on Cydia.

7. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Go get the giant doomsday robot bill gates built to destroy apple, but has been to afraid to use and go to the Apple HQ. After that break in and take steve jobs hostage, then negotiate a deal in which they must release your app in the store and go the extra mile and make them feature it or make it a local app on all devices. I'm not a dev so idk what they would do, thats just my theory of what they do.

8. P3Z

P3Z Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Slough, England
    WSP - You can, Cydia now has a marketplace :)

9. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

Breach of contract, Apple would be within their rights to terminate your developer licence and so you wouldn't be able to release anything in the app store then. Not heard of them actually doing this though.

10. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

How would they know who you are? Couldn't you just release it under another name? I would think Apple could only subpoena Cydia for the information at that point. Or is there a code embedded in the build that let's Apple know who the license owner is?