Do You Prefer...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stairs, Jul 13, 2009.

?

Which Type of Game do You Prefer?

1. Story-driven (think Zenonia)

20 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. Arcade (think Flight Control)

18 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. Healthy mix

21 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. Stairs

Stairs Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Asheville
    ...The more story-driven iPhone games (i.e. Hero of Sparta, Zenonia, Assasin's Creed etc.), or the pick-up-and play arcade style games (i.e. Moonlights, Flight Control, Field Runners, etc.)?

Personally, I usually get more hyped for the large-scale story games such as the new Gameloft GTA clone, but in the end I enjoy and play my arcadey games more.

2. weisome

weisome Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Behind You!
    I'm into the arcade games. :D They just seem more fun to me.

3. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    healthy mix wins

4. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    It really depends. I think a healthy mix is the best way to go, but I mean sometimes I want to play big games like Zenonia for an hour or more, and sometimes I want to kill a few minutes playing games like Flight Control. Just really depends on mood and where I am I guess.

5. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    I like a healthy mix, haha, I like how you phrased that. It doesn't make me feel so bad.

6. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I'm arcade-ish. simple cheap and replayable

7. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I'm getting bored of throwaway arcadey games on the iPhone. Really disappoints me how platforms like the GBA had plenty of epic RPGs and whatnot, whereas the superior iPhone has next to none. The touch screen is fine for RPGs, just annoying that there aren't more like Zenonia designed specifically for the platform. Emulators (I encourage people to only use them if they own the ROMs legally) are okay, but often not entirely suited to the touch screen and have performance issues.

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm all about the GAME and don't give a crap about WHY our character is running for his life avoiding the alligators (or whatever).

This being said my ideal is a puzzle or arcade game with heavily randomized aspects, different play modes and difficulties, and even best yet, a game that continually introduces new elements as you get further into it (like new powerups and obstacles). While global scoring is cute, I really am only really concerned with local scoring (a local highscore board of 5 or more entries is ideal but even just the high score for each difficulty and mode will do). Having to connect online JUST to see my own local best score is SLOPPY (the new craze with those implementing OpenFeint or ScoreLoop).

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Heh I think I like to lean towards a story driven game like rolando, zenonia, HoS, cjs, WI, quantum collapse, etc. xP

I have plenty of short-burst games too but eh..they lose their appeal for me pretty fast. Dunno why :confused:

10. Stairs

Stairs Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Asheville
    I just bought quantum collapse because of the sale. Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to it myself (recovering Starcraft addict after 1 year of not playing).

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #11 LordGek, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
    It's all about what motivates you! I'm obsessed with replayability in my games and if a game is heavily story driven, while it might be fun for one two go throughs, seeing that same story text is just an annoyance afterward.

So beating my high score in a given mode is good enough for me BUT global scoring, in that same toekn, I think is really overrated as I RARELY can hope to even make the top 100, much less top 500 in any of the more popular games.

12. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    How hard was quitting?

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Hahaha yes i know what you mean. I just realized I've spent about 90 hours on zenonia LOL!!! Currently on third playthrough with weakarse pally. Hmm..well idk WI and quantum collapse are pretty amazing xP. Hmm i've never quite picked up on like flight control, bloons, etc. Hmm i guess stickwars and knights onrush kinda count? Haha and idracula maybe O_O. But yea!

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Oh boy..time for more fun time hahaha:D

15. Stairs

Stairs Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Asheville
    It involved a psychotherapist, 10 gallons of Vodka, 1 bottle of Rohypnol®, and a hammer to smash my discs to bits. Not too hard, the usual.

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    lol fyl

17. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    Since it's my phone and on the go I'd MUCH RATHER prefer to play an arcade game. Not saying the platform can't deliver a compelling storyline but I like quick bursts of play without having to invest a lot of time into it.