iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Start a thread Jay and tell us where to come!

Re: you comments on the artwork/childish thing, if I may add my opinion, personally it's one of the things I like about the game. I like that it's kinda sweet and innocent with funny faced goblins making silly noises and fairies battling dragons.

(Although have a look at the news section, have you seen the pictures of the new decks, I think you'll find they'd scare the bejesus out of most kids :D)

As a female player, I get sick to death of games artists who design graphics of (for example) a fairy, then stick a GIANT pair of plastic t!ts on it and add a sexual element. There's enough of that crap in other games and real life IMO.

I hope I understood your point correctly here.

Another way we can help the guys is of course to remember to leave an app store comment and rating.

2. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    a certain malcontent from this forum under the nick The Dukester (wow, how cool geez) left a retaliatory review of this game on iTunes. I, for one, checked it as not being helpful and all those who like this game are invited to do the same.

3. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Ranking algorithm and ability order

@Steve the Goblin:
    Thanks alot for the taking the time to answer again, much appreciated.
    Your reply about the ranking points answered all my questions, great job.

For the ability order, I am not sure if I understand your answer right.
    To make it more easy, is the order below correct? If not, which is the right one?
    At my turn start
    1) First the bottom row abilities (auras&items) get processed, in order from left to right
    2) Next, top row abilities (minions) are processed, also in order from left to right

4. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Hhmm... I cannot see any review for Spellcraft. Are those country-specific?
    But thanks for the reminder, dropped my 5 stars :p
    If I find the time this week, I will leave a review myself.

5. Sleepow

Sleepow Member

Aug 27, 2012
    #105 Sleepow, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
    The mechanics are fine, but the game starts too slowly without IAP, so it did not manage to hook me.
    Winning the first two games played by waiting the opponent to use up all his cards is not exciting.
    The CG graphics also missed the mark for me, and with many card games on the market, not worth the time (and/or money) investment for me.
    Well, but for the price of free, fans of card/board games could still give it a try.

6. XaxaxeOrcslayer

XaxaxeOrcslayer Active Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Why? Who made you the arbiter of App Store reviews?

If legitimate issues are raised, then isn't it actually a useful review? It's the blind, mindless adoration of games and their developers — like you with Spellcraft, for instance — that ensures there is so much crap at the App Store. Developers know they can toss just about any shiny POS they want onto the store, safe in the knowledge that the fanboys will try to shout down anyone pointing out any negatives.

Or, in smaller words that you'll be able to follow: just because you like Spellcraft does not make it a perfect game. That's not how the world works.

Finally, how is "TheDukester" any worse than "Mack The Knife," one of the biggest cliché user names in the history of the internet? Did you think you were being original or clever with that one?

7. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    Moving swiftly on....

We've decided to bring forward plans to use a server for storage , to give an extra layer of safety. Pass me the caffiene..

Hello Sleepow
    Many new players don't always realise you can easily smash any stalemate situation by replacing your cards in play with others. Also get some of the essential 'functional' cards that clear away stubborn enemy auras. Just use any gold pieces you've got left, as they are very easy to get.

BoardGamesGeek
    Will go and say hello soon. It's one of my favourite websites.

Facebook
    We've been using this a fair while to show upcoming cards. May interest some.
    http://www.facebook.com/SpellcraftCCG

Website FAQ
    As Mack said, FAQ is looking better and hopefully helps someone.

Languages
    It is unlikely, sadly, we will be doing any other language versions until late next year. It's just a matter of practicality, as we really are only 3. The first ones would most likely be French and Japanese, as we have ready access to both of those (wives!)

Regards
    Steve , ThreeGoblins
    http://www.spellcraft-ccg.com/

8. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Yep it happens. Really damning reviews from competitors, or those who just enjoy writing this stuff. Most people read between the lines in reviews anyway.

But any form of review, good or bad, gets people talking!
    As they say, "There is no such thing as bad publicity"

I have PM-ed Mr.Dukester, offering to help with his grievance. No reply as yet.

9. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    heh, good luck with that. in an earlier post when i merely suggested people exercise caution before removing apps, believe it or not that whacko PM-ed me stating that he hoped I die in boiling oil. :eek: i mean, talk about someone off their medication!

10. XaxaxeOrcslayer

XaxaxeOrcslayer Active Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I guarantee you that review is not either of those. Sometimes a review is just a review; there doesn't always have to be a conspiracy involved.

I hope you don't actually believe this. Much like "the customer is always right," it's an erroneous cliché that's been repeated often enough that many people simply take it for granted.

There is such a thing as "bad publicity." Very much so. If you plan to be in business six months from now, you really need to understand this.

You won't get a reply. That account was Hodapp-ed quite a while ago. I doubt it could even be accessed now.

Good news about the server, though. Does that mean server-side storage for players' cards and gold?

11. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    i make it a habit of not arguing with morons but in your case i'll make a quick exception. my brother's name was Mack. he was a great football player in high school. my mom used to say he could run thru the line like a knife thru butter. her favorite singer was frank sinatra so she nicknamed him Mack the Knife. my brother was killed in Vietnam. so now you know asshole.

12. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #112 Mack the Knife, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    steve,

i'm in the minority and don't, nor want to, play online. so i'm a campaign player all the way. i am enjoying the game more and more and i can see myself playing it for a long time.

but tell me, how long can i play? i think i read there are 40 levels to attain in the campaign. is that correct? if so, to attain those 40 levels i play 10 games per level so that's 400 games. then what? does it reset to level 1? if it does not, the only way for me to continue playing is to "start over" by uninstalling/re-installing. now comes the issue of losing all my purchased cards and deck configurations "unless" your backup system is viable by then. any comments?

One last thing. I have an ipad2 and sometimes the cards do not expand when tapped. This seems to be more prevelant while in the deck builder. Take a look and maybe you guys can increase the sensitivity a little so I don't have to tap multiple times (sometimes 3x) to get a response. Thanks as it is sometimes quite aggravating.

P.S. if you think I'm taking too much of your time check my $$ involvement with the game - devxx. :D

13. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Hello,

Like most CCGs, Spellcraft is designed, ultimately, around 2-players duelling.
    But I totally understand what you mean. I like Spectrimancer and found myself only doing 1-player until I realised the campaign was pretty short. My only option then was to take the plunge and start duelling.

When you hit the maximum level you can play any region over and over (bear in mind it will use its best deck). Each expansion will bring 10 new levels too.

I would recommend you get into some semi-friendly matches using the Invite to play option first. Add me as a friend for starters - Steve 3 Goblins.

Note: the backup system is viable now, just avoid deleting the game and doing a backup after. Doing an iCloud backup won't be very visual , you won't see card databases moving or anything.

We have been surprised by the interest in 1-player mode. In fact 1-player campaign was added right at the end , just in case "people might be interested"
    I think it's clear there is a demand, so I feel we need to do more in that area.

Hope that helps., at least a bit
    Steve , ThreeGoblins

14. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Zooming into cards.

Just a thought...you are single tapping right?

Doing a double tap would effectively cancel the zoom before it even got started, leading to nothing apparently happening on-screen.

Cheers
    Steve, ThreeGoblins

15. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #115 Mack the Knife, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
    Forgive me but I am not understanding this backup structure. It is my understanding that turning on iCloud and performing a backup is ONLY useful for restoring my entire device. My iPad conks out, Apple replaces it and they restore it with my iCloud backup.

You say your backup system is viable. How do I use it? Two days from now HOW do I find my backed up copy of Spellcraft and download it, purchased cards and new decks all in place?

Someone please explain this. I currently back up to iTunes on my PC (as well as to iCloud) and I can restore a deleted app from iTunes (but not from iCloud) but the iTunes backup does not know about IAP's. Do I need an app to restore a single app from iCloud?

And yes, I am single tapping. As said, sometimes I have to single tap it three times before it pops up

Again, what is the max level attainable in the campaign?

Thanks!

16. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    @Mack:
    Current maximum level according to Steve is 40, but he wrote somewhere here that they consider raising it when they release more factions.
    And I make the same offer he did: If you are interested in 2player matches, shoot me a PM here on TA. My schedule is rather wacky, though; e.g. I did not have time for matches at all the last few days :(

@Steve: What Mack reports about the cardzoom not working in the deckbuilder, LCC and I have reported earlier in the thread as well.
    I think the single/doubletap recognition might be a bit dodgy, as the zooming works perfectly fine when you have zero of the card you want to see.

Regarding the cloudsave: I know another developer who implemented savegame cloudstorage for their game. If you are interested, I can ask him if he wants to share how they did it, so you do not have to reinvent the wheel completely.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Can 'some' forum members stop with the petty name calling and silly insults about each others usernames. If i find out that offensive PM's have been sent to forum members (which has been suggested) then there will be some bans happening.

Its a forum, all calm down and try to treat others as you would in real life, cant believe most of you would act this petty in person. Some forum members are quite young and its embarrassing seeing the way they are treated.

18. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    LEVEL 40 LEVEL 40 LEVEL 40:D:D:D

Am I first?? Am I?

What do I win

19. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Nicely done, Curious Cat :)
    Actually I think you are number 2 to reach those lofty heights.

20. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Oh nuts!

Well maybe I'm the first female then lol