Universal Cabals: The Card Game (by Kyy Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Agas, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Kyy Games

Kyy Games Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    We will do the research on Async, thats guaranteed.

The implementation is not too far fetched, as the game is turn based already.
    Naturally there are several aspects that need to be taken into consideration.

For what we've gathered so far is that, Carcassonne and Ascension have done async very well and people refer them in many occasions.

What we would like to know from player's perspective are the key features, that you would wish to have in Cabals?
    And what are the flaws in the current async games out there?

If you can help us out on the research and avoiding the pitfalls, we're ever so much closer to execution.

2. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Just wonder what takes so long for Apple to release the game? Hate to read the texts on my crappy netbook.

I have plenty very cool cards in the PC version now. Will my progress (and cards) appear in the iOS version?

3. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Great question. I'd like to know this also - I won't play on the Mac if the cards I acquire aren't available on the IOS version when it's released...

Any news on the release? This looks SO good...

4. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010

Yep, your account is the same through all supported platforms.

5. Kyy Games

Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks,

All the progress and cards are bound to your account, and they are available on the platform you login with.
    So its safe to start playing now, and you can continue on iOS when its out.

We're as anxiously waiting for Apple as many of you are.

6. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    #46 Quantus, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    Kyy,

I love the theme of your game. I hope it continues to grow and attracts a healthy player base.

I've noticed a lot of players have become disinterested in Shadow Era because the card updates come about so slowly and usually there are only a dozen or so new cards in the update. In contrast, a game like magic the gathering gets many hundreds of new cards every year.

Obviously, you don't have the resources to update Cabals with new sets as frequent as MTG. But, can you give us some sense of how often we can expect new cards and how many will be in new sets?

*edit*

Ok I'm an idiot. You answered a similar question here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=1951613#post1951613

*2nd edit*

Also, how about a Black Friday sale on Influence points? :)

7. jonnycache

jonnycache Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    With regard to Influence it's slighty annoying that the lowest tranche of points you can buy is 550 and the (what look like) really great value starter decks are costed at 600.

I'd rather pay slighty more for that first tranche and get 600 enabling me to jump straight into trying out another Cabal.

8. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Dear Kyy,

A question. Your FAQ says "You can buy in-game currency to expand your card collection faster and access other Premium features. We'll announce more details on Premium features later."

So how can I buy Influence points from the standalone PC game? I got some, then spent them on a starter pack and individual cards, and now I need a new deck/cabal.

Also, could you explain the Premium features?

Cheers.

9. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Mar 10, 2011
    I'm no Kyy, but I'm going to take this one anyway.

At least I can access an Influence point store by choosing Cabals Shop from the main menu and then the top option, Influence. It launches a browser-based shop (so it's not in the application itself) where you have all sorts of payment options.

10. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Thanks Gargoyle, so it's not in the standalone app.
    Gonna try the browser then, silly me.

11. SharpCarlos

SharpCarlos Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Played the game a bit in single-player (PC version), and I'm enjoying it so far. It has interesting mechanics without overwhelming me with a billion intertwining rules. Looking forward to the iOS release.

As for async, the things I think are key include:

1) Some sort of ranking system. Ascension fumbled on this, which is a shame because otherwise the game is fantastic. But now I never play it because of this one missing feature. BUT, it seems like you've got that sorted already. Side note: the rankings should either only apply to random matches, or there should be separate rankings for friend matches. Again, you may already have dealt with this; I haven't dug into the online options much yet.

2) A way to play async games live and KNOW I'm playing them live. Ascension nails this, as I can see my opponent making each individual move if I'm in the match with him. But if he leaves, there's an indicator to let me know that he's gone and not just taking a long time to make his move. I get the best of both worlds; smooth live online play if I and my opponent happen to be on at the same time, but convenient async if one of us has to bail.

12. jonnycache

jonnycache Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    You have the app? Which territory are you in?

13. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    My superficial impressions aren't great:

* Announcement before game's available is just annoying, and has turned the iOS forum into a discussion of Mac/PC/browser gaming instead.

In that spirit, I guess:

* Mac Standalone version installs an .app bundle with name like "cabal-mac-v102" or something like that. Macs use readable names for Application bundles (e.g. "Cabals: The Card Game", so this makes it stand out like a sore thumb in much the same way that name would in the iOS launcher.

* Mac Standalone version supports only 2 out of the 3 web resolutions. 640x960 is too tall for Mac laptop screen (1440x900), and 320x480 is tiny. Where's the 480x720?

* Browser version forced big long Unity plugin install, then didn't load deck art for the Starter Deck selection. I'm selecting from blank white boxes. This is on Firefox 8, but this part is inside Unity Player.

May turn out to be a perfectly good game, but this is clumsy handling so far and makes me just want to move on to the other vast number of perfectly good games out there without these issues.

14. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    I meant the standalone pc app(lication). Still waiting for it to appear in the App Store.

15. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Yes, I wish it was so simple. This game is simply too good to move on. Just try it as it is, start building your first deck against the AI, in the standalone version. You'll see it's as good as the most decent / polished iOS games. Can't wait to play it on my ipod.

No need to be angry about its "clumsy handling"; as far as I know, it's not the devs' fault.

16. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I am confused, is this game out some where? If not why isn't this in the upcoming thread.

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #57 Vovin, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

It's approved and in the data base, but not set free to download yet. The app even shows up in Appshopper, if you search for it.
    We dunno why.

Maybe the game is rfs but Kyy forgot to punch the big red "launch" button? ;)

Kidding aside, maybe something went wrong. Apple might be holding it back for some reason...

18. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Okay...I keep looking for it with out any luck and now I know why.

19. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    Bah. "Your request could not be completed."

Is there any way to find out what went wrong with the release? I want to buy stuff in it, but I'm holding back myself for the IAP solution.

20. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    The PC version has two display modes and both suffer from problems. The smaller display is too small and some of the text cannot be read because it is pixelated. The larger display mode is too big for my laptop screen. It needs fixing because it is not making me want to play the game right now. I'm looking forward to the iOS release instead.