Our game Rotate & Roll has been turned into an iphone app without our permission

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rivers, Mar 13, 2011.

1. rivers

rivers Member

Mar 13, 2011
    #1 rivers, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
    * Update: After contact with the developer, I found my case may be different with the Halfbot's one. The developer told me that he had contacted us before he start make the iOS version, but didn't get our reply. And now he is willing to share the profit with us. I think this may not be a bad idea.
    --------------------
    * Update: The developer of iOS version contacted me, now we're talking about the copyright issues. I'll keep update this thread.
    --------------------
    We're developing the iOS version of our flash game - Rotate & Roll. However, recently we found that an app with the same name, same concept, same music and very similar levels appeared in the App Store and even got featured. The developer of this app never contacted us to ask us for the rights to develop and publish this game. The game is a complete rip off of our game in almost every way.

We tried to contact the developer (it’s hard to find out how to contact him), but he didn’t reply to us. Now we’re contacting Apple, we hope they will help us solve this problem. Right now we are waiting for their reply. Thanks for any suggestions or ideas on what else we can do.

This is an image that shows the similarity of the 2 games:
    [​IMG]

Our game: http://bloblob.com/rotate-and-roll/
    Their game: http://itunes.apple.com/app/id421499302

2. Alexander444

Alexander444 Member

Feb 19, 2011
    That is terrible. I hope apple takes it down asap and the scumbags who made it get in trouble.

3. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Oh my, and I very nearly bought the game without realizing it's a rip off. Apple will fix it for you though I'm sure.

4. SunflowerPrincess

SunflowerPrincess Active Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Game Developer
    Sweden
    I read about the exact same thing about a month ago. Someone copied an existing flash game (which was in development for iOS by the originators) and made it to the top paid list. It was eventually pulled by Apple so I think you're chances are good - but the revenue generated from their copy which could have potentially ben yours, is gone.

It is things like this that makes you lose faith in humanity!

5. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    unauthorized Blocks Cometh and Cover Orange all over again. How rude and it especially sucks because the clone of your game is featured by Apple!

6. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    The ripoff is no longer available in the AppStore at least as of this morning.

7. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    It's number 8 in the US App Store... this is terrible!:(

8. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I almost bought it as well.

Looks like fun though, so I'll buy it if you release an official version :)

9. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I wonder what happens in cases like this regarding the revenue already earned on the app — does Apple freeze the account? Does the stinkin dev get to keep the money? Does Apple refund it to the customers? Does Apple just keep it for themselves?

10. ava0425

ava0425 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Washington, U.S.
    Well I feel like an idiot for buying it now :( something about it didn't feel quite right and now it explains it. So sorry for buying the ripoff. But don't worry I will be buying THE ORIGNAL! Thanks guy!

11. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

This is a terrible thing!No point on taking it down dough given the fact that it does so well, you should ask for your share of the sales!If they refuse then you should do all it takes to remove it, maybe even sue? Anyway good luck!!

12. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

I agree with what everyone has said, and would add that I'm sure most of us will support you with a good review for what sounds like will be a good game. I guess you should get a binary uploaded asap, with a reviewer note explaining the build number. For sure get on the phone. Apple will have a process for dealing with this.

13. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Why is it that Apple always features the ripoffs?! I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope the app gets pulled and I hope you atleast get to keep some of the revenue.

14. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Haha lmao.
    @Dev damn that sucks

15. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    incredible. What's that they say, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?"

Hopefully you will get a feature out of all of this.

16. rivers

rivers Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Hey everybody! Thank you for your attention and suggestions. The developer of iOS version just contacted me, now we're talking about the copyright issues. I'll keep update this thread.

17. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    I dont think there was any suggestions just bashing. But it is good to see tht you are working on fixing this.

18. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Great to see your talking with the developer. Maybe you can work out a deal

19. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Buying it now.

20. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia