Nano Fighter 3D

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by PDJApps, Feb 10, 2010.

1. PDJApps

PDJApps Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    #1 PDJApps, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    EDIT:
    I'm going to be posting videos of my progress and you guys can follow along...
    So far I have the movement control nailed down I think... Here's part one of the making of Nano Fighter 3D

Hey all...

I'm currently working on a new Nano Fighter for iPad and iPhone/iPod. It's going to use Chipmunk physics and will have a huge graphics boost!

If you've played the original Nano Fighter, I'd like to hear what you think, and what you'd like to see in the new one!

Currently I'm planning on having multiple ships to pick from, each with unique abilities. Also the ability to purchase weapons, shields, etc. There will also be borders so you cannot fly forever, or perhaps a mix of border levels and non border levels.

Anyway... I'd love to get some opinions!

For the latest updates check http://www.pdjapps.com

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    A mix of border levels and non border levels sounds good. I can see this being the ultimate space dual stick shooter.

I really liked Nano Fighter when it came out and I trust this new one will be great as well.

Right now the top dual stick space shooter for me is between Meteor Blitz and Isotope, with maybe Meteor Blitz slightly in the lead.

Nano Fighter is the game that really got me into the genre on the iPod though, I love the controls in the game.

Will come by with any suggestions if I can think of any though! :)

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    #3 Guise, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    Great news!

Nano Fighter is not only responsible for my current iPhone gaming addiction; it's the reason I joined TA forums in the first place (as I tried to overtake the formidable reinhart_menken). It remains one of my favorite ds shooters and its controls are some of the best of any game I've played.

As far as suggestions, I can't think of a whole lot. I really liked the way the original's leaderboards worked--simple and no sign-up required. I guess if you decided to use one of the major leaderboard/achievement programs, I'd vote for OpenFeint just because I'm used to it by now.

Can't wait to see what you have in store and will post any other thoughts/suggestions here.

4. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i almost immediately hated nano fighter due to lack of a dynamic background. fix that and i will surely love nano fighter 3d!

5. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    #5 B34$T, Feb 10, 2010
    Sounds good. Nano Fighter is one of the better and more diverse in the genre. The mix of borders sounds good.

One question though, what is Chipmunk physics?

Oh and the site doesn't load for me.

6. PDJApps

May 18, 2009
    Definitely one of the bullet points :)

It's a 2D physics engine that will add a nice feel to the game. Some apps in the store use it to make physics puzzle games for example.

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

ooh! physics? so there will be things that collide and react to your bullets?

8. PDJApps

May 18, 2009
    Yup! When you shoot your enemies they'll react to them properly. Enemies themselves will bump into each other instead of overlap. Particles from explosions will also behave properly... bouncing off enemies, your ship, and walls.

9. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i'm officially excited!

10. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    #10 dogmeat, Feb 10, 2010
    I think adding any complicated design elements like other ships, upgradable equip, etc.. will ruin the great gameplay experience that nano offers by itself.

by 3d, do you mean first person view? that would be amazing.

Now that I think about it, wasn't nano one of the first 5 star reviews I gave on a game?

Ah yes, flawless game: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=15283&highlight=nano+fighter

Now that I recall, the best part of nano was it's arcade style gameplay, whatever you do, try to keep the same arcade action in the 3d version. Upgrade and stuff is ok, but lots of developers think too much about these things and it ends up distracting from the real game.

11. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

no! not first person! the only reason i looks forward to this is due to it being a top down dual stick shooter!

12. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    dude, nano fighter 1 was this. Why would you want the same exact game?

13. PDJApps

May 18, 2009
    I'll definitely try to keep the gameplay as simple as possible while still giving a little more option to the player. It will be 2D top down gameplay but with full 3D lighting and objects.

Hopefully you'll like the new one when it comes out!

14. PDJApps

May 18, 2009
    I did play with the idea of having it 1st person view but couldn't come up with a way to make it as entertaining as top down is.

15. PDJApps

May 18, 2009
    Interesting I didn't actually consider using OpenFeint but I don't see why not... I'll have to look into it.

16. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    hmm, yes, you're right. And now I have a really great idea to sit on for a while :)

17. PDJApps

May 18, 2009
    Ah! i'm curious!

18. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Will this have similar progression as Nano Fighter?

19. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Hey PDJ it's me, the bat.

Oh my god this'll be awesome. I wish you the best of luck!

And chipmunk physics? Even better. Pollywog, Twilight Golf and Crayon ball use it and I love all those games.

20. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    One last request is making the virtual analogs smaller or the option to make them invisible. That was one of the few complaints I had on Nano Fighter.