True Skate [Universal] by True Axis

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by luketrueaxis, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luketrueaxis

luketrueaxis Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Game Development (Managing Director of True Axis)
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think you are right about that.

Yeah, I am wondering about the how graffiti thing. The cooler you make graffiti look, the more unreadable it is, that's why the extra writing is over the top. I'm not sure if that works or not.

2. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I have an idea for this version or maybe True Skate 2.

Create a simple iphone controller app to control the skateboard that is playing on another iphone or ipad. The orientation of the iphone controller would be used to perform maneuvers and to lean left and right to steer. I really think this would work well as input and really create a sense of immersion in the game.

Example... iPad on the desk where the main game is playing. Wrap your hand around the iphone controller so that the face is down and it is level. If you flick the top of it up you will do an ollie. How hard you do it mimics how hard it is done in the game. Tilt the phone slightly to the left and the skate board will slightly start turning left in the game on the ipad. With the face of the iphone down and your hand already wrapped around it would give the possibility to have a single button on the screen to enhance of give some other input that the game might need.

Someone really needs to do this! I am not into skateboard games or skateboarding but I would be interested in a game with input like that. I think it would give enough input to make the experience feel more natural and yet more complex in the range of motions and stunts. This would really show off the physics engine too I would think.

3. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Here is some more logo concepts. I think these are pretty close to the final style now. You can see the progression of the logo on our facebook page. There are a couple early screenshot there too, but it is all low quality images because of fb, and the HUD is place holder.

The in graphics for the skateboard and world are pretty much final now. The skateboard was just finished last week. The next step is to replace the place holder HUD. I will be trying to get some feed back on that soon. Following that, it might be time to release some decent in game screenshot.

Interesting idea, it would be interesting to try that out and see how well it works. It might play really well, but I am guessing that most of the market will only be able to get there hands on one device at a time to play with. It might be worth considering for an update though.

Attached Files:

4. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Looking awesome! Glad to hear you are making progress. Any rough estimate for how long until this will be press ready?

5. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Nope, but I will be trying to do plenty progress updates here, and on face book and twitter.

6. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    Looking sick, Luke. Nobody will play me in THPS2 anymore, need new blood made for mobile!

7. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm just working on getting the Sound into True Skate now. Things are starting to come together.

I've been trying to get some feed back on icons on facebook. Here are the latest True Skate icons.
    [​IMG]

Also, here is the first ingame screen shot taken on the iPhone4s. A kick flip is being attempted. There is a fish eye lens distortion effect turned on which looks really cool, although, makes the screen shot look less sharp. The cool thing about it is that it lets the board take up a lot of the screen so that it is easy to hit with your fingers, while still letting you see where you are going. I think only the 4s is fast enough for that effect.

The orange wisp is the touch effect. It will be useful for tutorials and stuff.
    [​IMG]

8. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Personally, I like the one in the middle left and the one in the top right.

9. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Everytime I ask for feedback, I seem to get a good spread of opinions. I think the middle one is most popular on facebook.

10. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Middle left for the win.

11. Werebite870

Werebite870 Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Either the middle left or the middle, pick whatever you like and enough people like either that it won't matter

12. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
  13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Top right.

14. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    Definitely middle

15. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    I like the one with the skateboard in it.

16. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah definitely that one :D

I like the middle too.

17. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks;)

As long as I avoid picking something everybody hates. I'm making a bit more effort with the True Skate icon then with JCS. The JCS icons had to go through a couple iterations after release before it looked ok. I think we did the OpenFeint icon better then most, but, it is still a bit trick to work out what you are looking at. Maybe it's ok to remove the OF icon now. We where considering removing it earlier until we got the OpenFeint gold feature and added replays to the leaderboards.

18. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I vote middle too. And vote against those in the bottom row.

19. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think middle is the most popular, although, I might do some more small variations on that.

20. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I just added a teaser video of True Skate running on an iPhone4s too Facebook
    here.

It just shows off the intro sequence plus a failed kick flip attempt.

Hopefully it wont be too before I can get together a high quality trailer to show of the game better, but this give a hint of the game.

I'll have to think about releasing a bunch of high quality screen shots soon to.