Thoughts on new metal gear...

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by iloverightangles111, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iloverightangles111

iloverightangles111 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Terrapin Station
    I'm hoping for one of the Metal Gear games that follows the story line, because the Metal Gear games that were on the gameboy and PSP really, really sucked. The info and screen shots show resemblance to metal gear solid 3, but I can't be too sure. anyone know?

2. jawslover

jawslover Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    JERICHO, KS
    well, it's nothing like the other games, the story might be similar though, I think it's MGS4 story. The whole game is another touch to shoot rip-off, although I hope it's not:(

3. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    yah i hope its not just touch and shoot..i hope there are more involment with the environment..but oh well its iphone..if the graphics are excellent then i shall excuse its gameplay inferiority:rolleyes:

4. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    I'm a big Metal Gear fan, so I got my fingers x for this. I just hope they can capture the Metal Gear feel on the iPhone.

5. iloverightangles111

Feb 18, 2009
    Terrapin Station
    yeah...I was kinda hoping for something like brothers in arms: hour of heroes, but longer, where you could move around. (it's literally just an HOUR of heroes, I beat it in an hour)

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It's a touch-n-shoot with cut-outs. Can't expect that much :rolleyes: At least they aren't trying to give the graphics a 3D console look.

7. Lungkisser

Lungkisser Active Member

Feb 6, 2009
    U.S.A.
    #7 Lungkisser, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
    Most of this information's been revealed if you read the articles on here and sites such as Joystiq and Kotaku. As a huge Metal Gear fan, I'll buy it regardless. PSP titles were fun, the Ac!ds were non-canon but Portable Ops was a blast. There's a great Metal Gear Solid-style game on Verizon handhelds as well as an Ac!d mobile in Japan, would love to see those get ported to iPhone, too!

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Verizon? Really? Hmmmmm.... The Ac!d mobile version is actually pretty impressive. Smooth rendering for such a small phone.

9. Lungkisser

Lungkisser Active Member

Feb 6, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Without looking, I believe it was Verizon. It wasn't AT&T and Verizon had the cool games (until the iPhone came along) ... here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyCTSCtqTyA I don't know HOW it'd work on the iPhone (probably not well) ... but I certainly wish I could play it somehow.

It has a feature where you can take a picture of something IRL and use it as camo... I don't know if it was programmed to do you any good, but it's kinda cool.

10. iloverightangles111

Feb 18, 2009
    Terrapin Station
    It was verison, I got it.

I can't be too sure, but there might be the ROM on the NES emulator for jailbroken ipods and iphones...mine's a 2g so I don't know. I know that one of my friends has the metal gear on his GBC emulator for a jailbroken

11. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    If you didn't like the PSP Metal Gear games I wouldn't think you'd be much of a fan in general or enjoy the iPod/iPhone version.

12. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I know I read somewhere that it's part of the story of MGS IV. I'll find the source and post it if I can.

13. jpxdude

jpxdude Active Member

Jan 28, 2009
    I think one of the best portable renditions of Metal Gear was Ghost Babel on the old Gameboy Color! It provided gameplay similar to the PSX version, retaining a fixed isometric viewpoint, but still remaining very fun. They should aim to do something like that on the iPhone with updated graphics, I think it would be a deep experience and do well!

14. Vikram

Vikram Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I'm really looking for an iPhone game with a great storyline. Sure, the iPhone has boasted of great graphics in some games so far. But I want a really long game with an engaging storyline. I've never played Metal Gear but I hope it has a good storyline.

15. ex86

ex86 Active Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Portland, OR
    You didn't like Portable Ops??? I thought it was awesome, and had pretty good replay value for a PSP game. MGTouch is gonna follow the store of MGS4. It's somewhat surprising that they're doing the most complex Metal Gear story for the iPhone, even if it's only gonna be a shooter type of game. I think the story line might confuse a lot of people who are new to MGS.

16. iloverightangles111

Feb 18, 2009
    Terrapin Station
    I love the MGS series, but I really didn't like the games that didn't follow the series...I just didn't like them, I thought the gameboy one was boring and the the PSP a little strange with the card game

17. ex86

ex86 Active Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Portable Ops is part of the official storyline though. It's kind of like Metal Gear Solid 3.5. You're thinking about the Metal Gear Acid series, which is card based. I have both of those, never got more than 5 minutes into either one of them. Didn't like them . . . too big of a fan not to have bought them though.

18. iloverightangles111

Feb 18, 2009
    Terrapin Station
    same here...

I'm a bit confused, I didn't know there was a real MGS for the PSP...damn, now I gotta figure out that ebay thing again

19. ex86

ex86 Active Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Really? You've missed out then. Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, and there's MGS Portable Ops Plus (which has additional missions and characters, but doesn't feature the Portable Ops storyline). Game takes place after the events of MGS3

20. posterized

posterized Active Member

Dec 15, 2008