Blockade v1.1 Update [Accepting Beta Applications]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Ziekke, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Ziekke

Ziekke Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #1 Ziekke, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    [​IMG]

Blockade is a line drawing game like Flight Control or Harbor Master with an outer-space twist. Your goal is guide your ships to (and through) Angelhill by resupplying them at the docking platforms and then through the jump gates safely!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    (click to see full size)​

We have been working hard on version 1.1 of Blockade. It has been a long time coming, but this new version is quite different. Before we can make the final push and submit it to the app store we would like to get some beta testing help to iron out any bugs we may have missed and get some user feedback.

There are now 9 maps, each with a fun twist on the core gameplay (interstellar police, floating debris, etc.).

Here are some features we've added:

• Retina graphics!
    • New map
    • Power-ups
    • Combos
    • Enhanced points system
    • 5 star rating system for each map
    • Game Center (with achievements and leaderboards)
    • New artwork
    • UI updates

Blockade is currently not universal (considering it for v1.2), however, the game runs, looks and plays fantastic on the iPad in 2x mode.

Beta testing details

Beta testing will be done through TestFlight. Therefore, we will only accept users who already have TestFlight accounts.

To apply for the beta test please click here to sign up through TestFlight. Post here once you've signed up if you would be so kind!

We will be accepting approximately 10-15 people to help out, with an anticipated start date of February 28, 2012.

Don't forget to follow us on twitter @onedaybeard, @zeraien and @ziekke to keep up to date on the status of the Blockade update. I will be announcing beta commencement as well as release info there!

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I've applied and am looking forward to it! :D

3. Ziekke

Ziekke Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Thanks LordGek!

So far we've gotten a few applications, still hoping for more.

There are some trailers floating around, but they are of Blockade v1. I will see if I can get together a gameplay video of our current build.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Applied, thanks in advance for any consideration.

5. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    Applied :)
    Woot! Looking forward to it sir!

6. Ziekke

Ziekke Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    We just rolled out the latest beta version to all those who signed up to Test Flight.

If you are still interested in helping out we still have some room, so go ahead and sign up and we will set you up for the next build.

I will hopefully be posting a gameplay video tonight to tease the rest of you ;)

7. zeraien

zeraien Member

May 23, 2010
    Game Developer
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Gameplay Video from new map!

Check out this gameplay video I just recorded on the new map, Descent. I've watched it a few dozen times and it still drives me insane. I also haven't slept for 28 hours, that could be a factor. But no, I think the video is still cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoRXP_rJ93A

The video also shows off lots of new stuff like combos (aka Gate Chains) and various power ups. Not to mention awesome graphics!

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #8 LordGek, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    The retina graphics, combo system, and power-ups are all pretty gosh darn amazing from what I've seen in the beta so far, guys, good stuff!

But I will ask one question here all publicly, what is the bonus counter all about? Aren't the combos already counted in the base score?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. The score is the total of ships docked and bonus, so the bonus score shown is just an indication of how much of the current score is based on your combo bonuses as opposed to straight ship jumping points.

9. Gladiator12

Gladiator12 New Member

Mar 4, 2012
    I aplied hope u still need people ;)

10. zeraien

zeraien Member

May 23, 2010
    Game Developer
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bonus and Welcome

@LordGek: Thanks for those kind words!
    In a more detailed answer to your question on the bonus: The difficulty of the game is calculated based on your score, so we figured that it would be weird if getting more points via combos and power ups would just make the game end faster, thus by getting more bonus points, you're actually able to get a higher score while not increasing difficulty.

We're also going to put in a new triggered power up that will prevent new ships from arriving for a short time, Jump Space Disruption :)
    So now you have to choose between bribe, time dilation or JSD :)

@Gladiator12: Welcome!
    Although there won't be a new release until after GDC :p

11. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I went ahead and signed up for the beta.

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Basic question:

Can the Bribe power-up show up in scenarios with no cops or can all scenarios eventually have cops if you hold on long enough? If it can show up in a scenario where it will never have any relevance, hopefully grabbing one still has some minor useful side-effect (like some bonus points?).

13. zeraien

zeraien Member

May 23, 2010
    Game Developer
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bribe only appears in missions with the possibility of cops, and the only mission with really late cops right now is Checkpoint. Still debating how to handle it, but I'm thinking that maybe one could receive bonus point(s) if a triggered power up is taken and replaces another one, so like if you take a time dilation and you already have bribe, you recycle the bribe for some credits... Another option might be to actually give a bonus for every power up, but that might inflate the score a bit too much.

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No, if it only can appear in levels that will at least eventually have the coppers, the current deal is fine.