Need pricing advice

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by eJayStudios, Feb 10, 2010.

1. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Hi,

As per title, looking for pricing advice for my first game Vector Rally.

I'm asking in developers forum on purpose, I can guess what customers want :)

It has OpenFeint leaderboards, local multi-player via Bluetooth & Wifi, AI players, 8 different unique tracks, will add achievements soon.

What do you think? Should I go for Tier 1 or Tier 2?

Personally leaning towards Tier 2 as I figured people who enjoy games which requires some thinking and strategy won't budge on price much? Maybe I'm wrong though..

Any opinions are welcome.

2. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Can you define Tier1/Tier2?

My general rule is that for games that are 'silly' -- stickmen game, fart apps, games with general mass market appeal, you should price very low, if not $0.99. If I just want a quick fix or want to try some zany concept, I don't want to pay much more than 99 cents.

For games that require thinking/strategy, you can charge higher prices because the type of person that plays those games is probably more mature, and willing to accept a higher price. The example I like to use are the "Rogue-likes" on the app store: Rogue Touch and Sword of Fargoal. The 'type' of person likely to purchase that game is more likely to accept a higher price point. Both of these games have done relatively well, but would probably not benefit significantly from having a lower pricepoint. These games are also more niche, meaning you don't really have a choice.

3. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    thank you, I'm thinking same way as I believe my game is more niche as well as there is nothing similar on the App store at the moment at all.

Tier1, Tier2 is pricing models Apple has on iTunes connect, Tier1 is US$0.99 and Tier2 US$1.99.

Tier3 is US$2.99 but I'm not sure if I can charge that much.

4. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    For a game like yours, I suggest tier 2.

5. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I would agree with $1.99; it will also give you some pricing room. If you start at 0.99, you can never go lower.

6. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks guys, will stick to $1.99 and see how it goes.

7. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

That's a pretty insightful analysis. As you note, the core audience for retro games like Rogue Touch and Sword of Fargoal tends to be older, have more money, and be more willing to spend an extra buck or two for something that will last them a very long time. Not to say that these games are only for people who played them in the 1980's as teens! I personally know of people from age 10 to pushing 70 years old that are playing, based on e-mails and forum comments.

The people who enjoy these sort of games are definitely limited in number, so lower prices would simply mean less money made. You would never hit that critical mass to go up the charts and stay there. So Jeff, Paul, and I certainly would never get rich with games like these, but can find a moderate level of success that makes us keep trying harder for the next update and next game :D

Either way, I recommend never starting at 99 cents if you've got any sort of decent game. There's no headroom if you need to make a price adjustment. Free is not an option if you've put a lot of time and money into something. :)

8. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    If you think your game has mass market appeal, price it at 99c and *HOPE* you get in the top 100. If your game is a bit more "niche" oriented(which I think your game is), then price it higher(1.99 or 2.99) and slowly build sales. You'll probably never reach the top 100, but over time you'll create a solid user base that'll buy sequels and any IAP that you provide.

For more info, read this post by Marco Arment: http://www.marco.org/208454730

PS: I think your game looks awesome, especially since the iPhone is really well suited to turn-based games. I've actually thought about making a turn-based driving game, but never got nearly as far as you got :)

9. ghostdogstudio

ghostdogstudio Active Member

May 13, 2009
    iOS developer, Beer drinker, Zombie puncher
    Convict Hill, TX
    Agreed.

10. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    Thanks for the link and kind words! Based on all your advices guys I will start with $1.99 and after a while if it doesn't sell much will switch to $0.99 as a promo etc.

11. 99CentApps

99CentApps Member

Feb 10, 2010
    99 Cents

First post =P
    Anyway, I would do this:

Free version: Includes 1 map and no multiplayer. Thats it. This will get people to think about buying the game. Everyone relays on graphics and not gameplay. Its quite sad, but it is true.

Second. Make a 99 cent version. The game doesn't look like it will cut the 2 dollars. But hell, you managed to make a game? And who knows, it might be another big hit!

12. ghostdogstudio

ghostdogstudio Active Member

May 13, 2009
    iOS developer, Beer drinker, Zombie puncher
    Convict Hill, TX
    This coming from a guy named 99CentApps ;P. I think the forum user dollar99Apps would disagree with you.

13. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    Agree on free version part, I'm planning to do just that.

Regarding 2 dollars, I think I'll take a risk initially simply because I believe people who might enjoy my game won't worry about $1 difference and people who would they probably won't buy for 99 cents anyway..