Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. CastlePage

CastlePage Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    There are 3 things that I'm very thankful that Nimblebit didn't design into this game (as opposed to many games on the apps):

1. Energy consumption to play game. Many games on in the appstore and on Facebook have consume a certain amount of energy when you take an action. I suppose the game developers want the player to spend cash to buy items that replenishes these energy bars. I don't make in-game purchases, so i end up playing with the game for a very short while; I can't play more even if I want (without resorting to cash items).
    1a. A follow-up on this is that the finished product (be it cooking, producing clothes, growing crops) will expire if you don't return to harvest/collect it. Another way to "force" players to come back.

A great design of PP and Tiny Tower is that it caters to both intensive AND casual gameplay. You can catch coins/bux or check airports for bux jobs (thanks to our bux strategies) non-stop for hours. Or you can stay away from PP for days. It's always there waiting for you whenever you pick up, without imposing penalties like expired products.

2. You are forced to make friends to expand the store (e.g. Restaurant Story). Sometimes, you have to befriend a crazy number of people in order to have higher damage (e.g. Castle Age).

I join TA (and now TA1) because I want to. I add friends to GC because I want to. Not because I'm forced to by the game. I have meaningful conversations with you all, not just visit somebody's site to drop some coins :p

3. Some achievements require parts that can be gifted only by friends, or require in-game purchase. And/or the market that sells the items replenishes once a day. For me, the daily gifting/receiving of items becomes a tedious chore (especially if there's no batch giving or receiving).

In conclusion, my success in PP is determined on my hardwork and not some other factors, like friends' gifting. As a bonus, Nimblebit is very generous in doling out bux, :D

2. Dsolender

Dsolender Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    A Child Tax Credit
    New York
    Two words: WOOOOOT!!! CONCORDE!!! I would've posted a picture but im on my phone so later. Woooooo!!!!

3. CastlePage

Sep 28, 2012
    LOL. Grats :) I just got mine too. And it's nice that for once the 6P 2C is and advantage for the global event.

4. pepitko

pepitko Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Thanks for the welcome, I've sent a quick email to NimbleBit support, fingers crossed :).

5. smws

smws Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Congrats!

Still need to find some controls for my moment of happiness. :)

6. BumActor

BumActor Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Who is number 1 right now

7. Qngage

Qngage Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Indonesia
    Aww PP 's been nice to me lately...I have great fun playing...

Btw is maple really not available for the iOS version? I really wanted to try it fly...

Hoping for someone to trade a maple with me though :)

Don't have much to trade anyway ...

Ps: still waiting for a trade for Concorde body in another thread ...

8. Slightlynorth

Slightlynorth Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    When I emailed them about a missing part earlier this week I mentioned the part delivery crash issue and was treated to a little nugget of info about the update.

And I quote:

9. Rabowling

Rabowling New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Something
    Somewhere
    Woo Hoo!!!!

Finally got my Concorde!!!!

Attached Files:

10. Chewbacca

Chewbacca Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Good information! Thanks for sharing. :)

11. Bluebear88

Bluebear88 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2012
    The iOS app update approval process usually takes up to 8days, I wonder how long it takes when they include the Mac OS.

12. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    BUG FIXES!!!

Is it too much to ask that the app doesn't instantly crash every time you receive a gifted part? Or that the UI doesn't slow down to molasses and subsequently crash after every job refresh for high-level players on an iPod Touch?

I would be content if they didn't spend time on major new enhancements, but simply made the existing app less buggy.

However, the two simple additions that they could make without major effort are to add new aircraft (like when they added the Mapple and Kringle Kruiser) and to add new events (which may require some more costumes and special cargo). Any new costumes created for new events could also be added to a Tiny Tower update, so they kill two birds with one stone.

13. CastlePage

Sep 28, 2012
    #12473 CastlePage, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    I concur about the constant crashes (I crash every 5 - 10 mins of continuous play).

And I'll add another THREE interface changes:
    1. A button to auto show the bottom of the screen (for both Tiny Tower and PP). It takes a LOOOONG time to scroll to the bottom on the job list page, parts page and GC page.
    2. Allow us to gift multiple parts at one time (instead of the current one part each time). Or the ability to gift whole planes. I keep losing track of what I've gifted.
    3. Allow jobs to be filtered by bux, in addition to the current all, P and C filters.

14. Perfect trumpet

Perfect trumpet Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Uk
    Seconded :D

15. SuperPenguin17

SuperPenguin17 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Thirded.. Although I doubt that's a word. But consider me tertiary support.

16. lisianne

lisianne Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Somewhere else
    You've obviously put a lot of thought into this & your ideas are interesting & well-presented.

Virtually all of them, however, basically benefit the already-hooked more advanced player. Nothing addresses the major points made in the article that there are too many choices (some of which are illogical & have punitive results), too little guidance, & too steep a learning curve which eventually scares away the newer players. IMO, it's exactly those players NB needs to attract & keep so your ranks keep growing!

17. Jmacjmac

Jmacjmac Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    #12477 Jmacjmac, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    Next update, the bug they should fix is if I'm scrolling when a plane lands, the plane I'm loading freezes and then auto loads and I have to unload and reload. As far new planes I would like to see an eight or twelve seat military craft that is truly utility, meaning its not locked to a 50/50 split, you got twelve spots you can put any twelve things in it you want, just like real military choppers. Since this is so versatile it should cost as much as a cloudliner or even be a rare plane.

18. CastlePage

Sep 28, 2012
    Oh yes ! I hate the fixed no. of passengers/cargo. They should just have just N slot planes that can take N jobs, regardless of P or C.

19. SuperPenguin17

SuperPenguin17 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Cyclones VS Sequioa

Currently I have a fleet of 20 Sequioa M and 2 Concorde.

12 of the Sequioa run LA-Tokyo and 8 of them run Lima-Jakarta..

The concordes kind of do whatever ther want.

What I'm wondering is - would I be better off replacing them with Cyclones? Say 8 for LA-Tokyo and 6 for Lima Jakarta..

I think I would make around the same coin wise but I would see a lot more passengers and get more bux jobs.. Just thinking.

Someone who is smarter and has more free time tell me what I should do.

20. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I wouldn't replace them. Just add Cyclones when you open more slots. I have 56 planes running, and that includes all the Sequoias and Aeroeagles I bought about 20 levels ago.