New King of iOS Graphics! Riptide GP iPad Retina

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Franco, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Franco

Franco Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    #1 Franco, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    Absolute stunning graphics on this with new retina update! :eek: Absolutely amazing visuals, especially for a handheld bettering anything on consoles due to resolution. Also plays very well and smooth. Love to take this to a game store and show console and pc players this title, watching their jaws drop to the floor.

Kudos to Vector Unit for this title. One thing, please add touch steering to this showpiece title. IPad is too heavy for extended tilt playing, plus can't enjoy the tasty graphics as much with all that silly device movement.
    -edit- found the touch steering option...all is good!

Runner(s) up for best graphics so far:

Asphalt 6, Infinity Blade

Any other nominees?

2. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#2 Habakuk, Mar 31, 2012
    True. Bought it right now because it's on sale. And it's worth the buck alone because of the view of the liquid tracks with all those reflections and different kinds of waves.

But can someone tell me how to hold the iPad and reach the boost switch which is located almost at the top? And I have rather large hands…

Asphalt 6 is my favorite game of all times and the graphics are superb but the framerate is not so good as it was before the retina update (hopefully they fix that). And Infinity Blade 2 is "iPad 3 optimized" but has no retina graphics according to this posting.

Real Racing 2 HD looks very good as well with it's recent retina support. And runs smooth. But it's not my favorite racer. It feels too slow (okay it's more a serious simulator) compared to Asphalt (arcade fun racer with high speed feeling).

3. mavere

mavere Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2012
    A hardware review site (Anandtech) determined that IB2 ran at ~1.4x resolution instead of 2x. I guess they just couldn't quite get performance high enough.

4. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #4 djflippy, Mar 31, 2012
    This does look good, but [app]Zen Bound 2 Universal[/app] is still #1 for me, both for graphics and for gameplay.

On console, the visuals are much better on Journey, as is the gameplay.

5. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Yep, this game is pretty stunning with iPad retina. Any self respecting graphics whore with a dollar and a new iPad should pick it up. As a bonus, the gameplay is nice as well!

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I find it ironic you have all chosen a game that looks better on Android than the iPad as a game with the best iPad graphics.

strange world.

7. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah but what's the point in having good graphics if the accelerometer controls are crap? (ASUS Transformer Prime) :p

8. Franco

Franco Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    I find it hard to believe that this game looks better on android than the iPad retina.

9. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Don't get me wrong I think the new iPad is more powerful, just this particular game is worse looking, just think it's strange choice for best IOS graphics considering that.

10. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there is no multiplay mode, it's a shame.

11. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    I used to have an Asus Transformer Prime and do miss the cool water on the screen effect but I am a lot happier with my new iPad 3. Riptide GP does look amazing on the new iPad for sure.