Tutorials on how to make games?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by xStephen, Nov 19, 2012.

1. xStephen

xStephen Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Hey guys, hope I can get some luck here. I want to experiment with making games for the iPhone. Don't know how/where to start. Any help or tutorials would be much appreciated. Much thanks. :)

2. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    you need Mac and 99$ for apple to release your game i think:cool:

3. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Start with Ray Wenderlich's site. He has a ton of great tutorials that cover a lot of topics:

http://www.raywenderlich.com/

4. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I recommend "The Business of iPhone and iPad App Development" and "App Empire". This is for more big-picture macro stuff; I think it will complement nicely the micro focus you'll be having with the programming itself. Nowadays I think you need a complete game to make it, so it's good to have both perspectives.

Good luck!

5. Mito

Mito Member

Nov 19, 2012
    And an original idea. Not some clone of a clone of a clone like 80% of the app store.

6. Leadwerks

Leadwerks New Member

Nov 16, 2012
  7. jlauener

jlauener Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    +1 for Ray Wenderlich's site. Best source for iPhone gamedev tutorials around imho :)

(no I'm not related to this website at all, just used it a lot)

8. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Check out the forum of the official site of whatever game engine you decide to use. Just looking around the cocos2d forum I picked up a ton of useful information.

9. dprichard

dprichard Active Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Goto www.cartoonsmart.com

Their tutorials cost a little money but they are definitely worth it. They also offer free previews of most of their lessons.

You should also check out their new ebook. It focuses on Cocos2d and is a great starting point for anyone trying to get started.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/ios-game-programming-xcode/id578846833?mt=11