Important Note About Squareball!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dromsynt, Nov 1, 2009.

1. It has come to our attention that a lot of you play Squareball holding the iPhone with both hands, using a thumb to control the game. While this method of control may feel safe and confortable it ultimately makes the game INSANELY difficult. Because of the way the thumb is attached to the hand it is impossible to consistently lift it from the screen without inadvertently dragging it. In addition, the effective horizontal range of the thumb is only about half the screen. Here is how to properly play Squareball:

1) Cradle the iPhone with your weak hand.
    2) Use the index finger of your strong hand to control the game.

Some sections of the game are impossible to pass without the full screen range of this control method.

So, everybody, get out of the confort zone and start playing Squareball like the Pros. We know players who have finished the entire Story Mode on one credit using this method.

2. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Yep, I find the game to be better when played this way. The guys on the T.A. Podcast must be playing it wrong. Great game!

3. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

At one point I remember reading that tilt was going to be added as an option. Was that via an update or for a sequel?

4. werner

werner Active Member

Control-misunderstanding. That would make sense. I never thought about playing it any other way than you described Mr Drömsynt. Another criticism I don't get at all (that was also brought up in the podcast) is that this game involves luck. I'm almost finished (two more levels to go) and haven't come across a single situation that involves chance*. If you know when to move and how far - you'll pass every obstacle. Every time.

I'd even say that Squareball is one of the most precise and fair games on the platform and reminds me a lot of old-school-shmups in this aspect. You just have to know what's coming up, that's all - and you know the second time around. To die isn't a bad thing in this game it's necessary.

Because of the sometimes pixel precise movements I can't imagine tilt-controls at all, this will make it even harder, wonder why anybody would want that; but it's there in 1.3 BazookaTime (submitted already as far as I know).

Now, I consider myself a very casual gamer and was able to reach the last world all hard ;) so I don't know what the problem (some people seem to have) is exactly, but what about a 'Training Mode' where you can:

- set the speed yourself (%)
    - scroll down the level to see and learn the track
    - start at any point of any given level
    - turn on a 'ghost' to see how certain parts are supposed to be played
    - 'rewind' feature like in Aera, when you fall it goes back a bit, gives you a second chance
    - and maybe more stuff like this that helps one to figure it all out

It could add a little icon (like the three existing ones, maybe a little pink pixel-baby-soother) if you ever played a level in this mode - so that it motivates people to try to beat it without this aid. Maybe even reduce the score of the normal (hard) mode by 50% if you finish it afterwards. Then the 'Easy Mode' wouldn't be needed anymore. IMO easy right know is similar to cheating and too tempting if you get frustrated.

* Well there was a part at an early level in 1.0 but that one got fixed in 1.1

5. CrappyGame

CrappyGame Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Math teacher
    Stockholm
    Hi Werner!
    Cool ideas...
    When we introduced amateur mode for Squareball 1.1 we tested several concepts of degrading the points. However it showed that if the "ball" moved slower, it automaticly generated less timebonus due to the slower vertical phaze.
    The tree icons aren´t on the other hand possible to collect in amateur mode.

Scrolling the level with your finger to learn passages is also an excellent idea that we discussed, but it ended up in the initial "auto scrolling" in the beginning of the level :)

The "ghost" thrilled me!!! Think I´m going to make of walktrough (from my perspective) & put out in YT...

6. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    i play squareball with my index finger swiping the screen.

wow those are nice suggestions.

@Crappygame, what are your plans on the next updates?

7. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    hahahahha i cant believe the majority of negative comments generated for this app were all due to using the wrong controlling method! i lol'd.

8. CrappyGame

CrappyGame Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Math teacher
    Stockholm
    Some info is a little secret, but the update 1.2 includes a challenge mode with 20 new short stages. The aim in challenge mode is to complete a stage as fast as you can. You will be able to achieve bronz, silver or gold on the challenges.

Sync with Openfeint is also included along with some new achievements and of course leaderboards for all levels and challenges.

We have discussed some features for an possible v.1.3 but for now it´s unclear when or if it will be reality.

One thing that we really like is the idea of you guys making levels for challenge mode. In that case we have to find a way to easily include them in the game.

9. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    about the openfeint leaderboards, do we have to replay the levels so we can submit it online? if thata's the case maybe Ill wait for the update before I play the levels.

10. CrappyGame

CrappyGame Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Math teacher
    Stockholm
    #10 CrappyGame, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    haha... yeah! We noticed that people who plays the game uses the controls improperly. Some people f.e. just sweeps the screen without any continued connection to the touchscreen and therefor won´t be able to stop the ball at the right time...

11. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Hmm...

For some reason, I am able to comfortably play using my thumb instead of my index finger. For those sections I just flick and stop it quickly.

12. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines
    about the openfeint leaderboards, do we have to replay the levels so we can submit it online? if that's the case maybe I'll wait for the update before I play the levels.

13. CrappyGame

CrappyGame Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Math teacher
    Stockholm
    ok... actually thats a very good way of controlling, sweep & stop with finger. But its hard... Think it takes a little more practise to become good with that method. But it´s probably the fastest...

14. CrappyGame

CrappyGame Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Math teacher
    Stockholm
    #14 CrappyGame, Nov 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
    hmm... I´m quite sure that the game will keep your old scores and sync with OpenFeint... BUT... We have changed how the timebonus works a bit so it´s best to wait :eek:

In v.1.1 the timebonus starts at 10000 (max) and drops according to the time spent on the level, 50 points per second. So if you need 60 sec to clear the stage, you will gain 10 000 - 3000 = 7000 in timebonus.

In v.1.2 we first changed the maximum to 12000, we figured that this would be more calibrated with collecting 100 % gems...
    The time is also more precise. Each second is devided into 60 parts, each part equals 1 point. So it will be more differentiated and each second is worth 60 points instead of 50... :D

So you will automaticly get higher score if you play the new version.

15. #15 dromsynt, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
    Your old scores will be synched to Openfeint when you connect. A few achievements (those concerning bonus stages and Mr. Perfect) cannot be awarded retroactively because previous versions did not keep track of them.

16. werner

werner Active Member

CrappyGame, it's very comforting that both you and Dr Drömsynt visit TA, listen to the users and reply to our enquiries. All those ideas and suggestions are nice and everything but at this point only one thing seems important...

Make it possible to download additional levels, may they be user-generated or not - more content to look forward to (without the need to update the whole application) would make Squareball pretty much immortal.

Now, thanks again for this great game and the substantial update, the leaderboards add a whole new dimension to the gameplay, very motivating! Although I doubt that I'll reach the top ten again. :)

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm surprised it wasn't more obvious to people that using your index finger is the best way to play this game. I automatically switch between several different styles of holding the iPod depending on which game I'm playing, even if the game hasn't suggested it.

I even play Eliminate by placing the iPod on the desk/my lap, then holding it between my thumb and middle fingers and using my index fingers to move, since you need the range of movement to turn the same way you need it to scroll on Squareball.