Playstation Vita Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Haruhi, Dec 12, 2011.

1. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    For me too.Killzone 2 & 3 was one of my favorite games on PS3 along the Uncharted series.

Now only if there was a Far Cry for it...

2. turkgames

turkgames Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Student
    Ankara
    I don't know about you guys, I love my Vita and bought it on launch date but all these silence from Sony makes me consider the situation cause I don't wanna invest on a product that won't last long on the market

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I think the problem with the vita right now is that genres where you'd expect this console to have a lot of great games in (Shooters, rpgs, that kind of stuff) have turned out to either not have many games in them, have only had bad games in them or both.

Meanwhile there are genres that one perhaps wouldn't expect to have as many games as they do. (Platformers and fighters)

4. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    To be honest there's not a single game I'm really very excited about for next year. A handful of potencial great games in the horizon, and that's it, no "OMG wish I could fast forward time to get this" title.

5. turkgames

May 1, 2009
    Student
    Ankara
    They should port Frostbite 2 to Vita so we could enjoy :D

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I like the new site where you can buy the PSN games on your pc, will be much easier for me to check when something is out now. I'll probably still purchase on my Vita though just to get the instant download.

Actually it just came in handy as I can see WRC is available for me now, typically I've no credit to buy it at the minute but that's ok as I'm still playing Streetfighter and Most Wanted.

I think the web store is only available in the EU but if you are the link is

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

7. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    That could possibly make vita self-implode.

8. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    NfSMW runs on Frostbite 2. Unless they completely recoded or ported the assets into another engine, which would take quite a bit of time, it seems most likely that the Vita version runs on Frostbite 2 as well.

9. Nope, it runs on a modified Chameleon engine originally from NFS Hot Pursuit.

10. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Huh. Several game journalists have said it ran on Frostbite, even days before release. Doing a Google search, I find people saying it either uses Chameleon or Frostbite- can't find a definitive answer though, or anything Criterion has said. Now I'm confused. The wiki says Chameleon, so I'll just go with that. Wonder where the confusion came from :confused:

11. Straight from the NFS Twitter: https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/210984390866644992

I guess it kind of seems like the Frostbite engine with the (somewhat) destructible environments though.

12. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Nope. Not even scientifically possible.

13. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I have read articles talking about bringing frostbite to mobiles before so it is actually possible as the vita is still more powerful than pretty much any phone out there (note 2 is perhaps the only debatable one but vita has a better gpu I think), personally I care more about the games than the engine used although nice graphics are always a plus.

Most wanted on vita was pretty impressive but the lack of weather effects annoyed me a bit as I've even seen the PSP handle them in a decent way before. The lack of a bit of traffic bothered me less than I thought it would.

14. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    #3814 zeonmx, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    Vita is indeed more powerful than any of the mobile devices out there. But even Vita has a limit on its GPU and CPU. Frostbite 2 engine is a dedicated game engine for consoles and heavy-duty gaming PC. Sort of like cryENGINE 2 for Crysis games, which is very similar to the Frostbite 2 engine. If they are to port this engine, it's going to be a watered down version of the engine to the point where it doesn't even look like Frostbite 2.

The article you read is most likely about devs bringing Frostbite 1 or 1.5 to the mobile devices.

15. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    You really aren't missing much. I own the PS3 version as well, and the weather effects are really... Lame? When it's raining, you don't see actual rain. Random water drops just pop up on the screen as a transparent 2D texture (like water on a lens)- that and the road is wet (the cool part, complete with water particles and mist/spray from driving on it, though it doesn't have to be raining for the road to be wet). I think the sky turns grey too, but really, it is nothing special and barely noticeable. Actually, I'm not even sure if there are weather effects. Might just be wet roads.

16. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Anyone else getting annoyed lately by hit pieces on the Vita claiming it has no games, I actually think it's done pretty well for a single year I'm a little disappointed it's lacking a good FPS but it's still got plenty of good titles.

This is the article that just annoyed me, it has the vita listed as the biggest gaming disapointment of 2012 because it apparently has no games and COD was bad.

Probably shouldn't let it annoy me I just keep reading things like that and I'm happy enough with the games I've bought so far even Resistance wasn't all that bad.

17. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Purchased Big Sky Infinity yesterday on PS3 to play on Vita, can't even install the damned thing due to a stupid error. Downloading it from Vita doesn't change a thing.

I'm totally fed up with this kind of crap, looks like there are bugs / glitches / patches /errors / ... everywhere I game nowadays.

18. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    #3818 tygamr, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    Several articles like that with the Vita listed as a disappointment/dumb move released yesterday. Kotaku listed it as a dumb move on their list of 'The Smartest & Dumbest Things Sony Did in 2012'. Gamasutra. Listed it as a disappointment on their list of 'The Biggest Disappointments of 2012'.

What I think is really dumb, is I've already read a few articles about the Vita being a failure/disappointment/whatever, and they blame the poorly made CoD game on the Vita rather than the people responsible for the game (Activision and Nihilistic- though Vicarious Visions was working on it before them). Really stupid.

19. turkgames

May 1, 2009
    Student
    Ankara
    I read that Phantom Pain trailer is about a MGS Vita game. What do you think? It would be awesome!

20. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    It's just a rumor. The cause of it, is because of the hidden MGS V logo. They've never used roman numerals prior to that, so people are speculating that the V stands for Vita. It's kind of plausible, considering the Vita is capable of running fox engine (though I highly doubt it would look that good), we haven't even seen much of Ground Zeroes yet which is supposed to be a prequel to MGS 5- so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to reveal the fifth game yet, it doesn't seem like it would make sense to release two MGS game prior to MGS 5 either... But to be honest, the whole game is a mystery, other than the fact that it is somewhat obviously connected to MGS. I mean, the main character looks exactly like Naked Snake. Another possibility is that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are just the same game, but if so, why hide The Phantom Pain's identity as a MGS game?