Board Game Ports?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheInfiniteAmmo, Jun 23, 2010.

1. TheInfiniteAmmo

TheInfiniteAmmo New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Hello TouchArcade community!

I'm a budding games journalist, and I'm currently trying to compile a list of Board Games that have been ported to the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad.

By board games, I don't mean the typical Clue/Scrabble/The Game of Life/Monopoly games. Those are easy enough to find in the App Store.

I'm looking for more, er, "hardcore" titles like Carcassone, The Settlers of Catan, and Roll Through the Ages...thusly, since I'm aware of the previous three, consider them on the list!

Are there any other games that have been ported to the iPlatform?

I really appreciate the help! I wasn't aware of Roll Through the Ages until a few days ago when I read a thread on here. :D

2. RonBurgundy

RonBurgundy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Anchorman
    Channel 4 Newsroom
    #2 RonBurgundy, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    I think you got pretty much all of the good ones that I know of. And its not really a board game but highborn "looks" like a board game but its more a tbs lol.

EDIT: Well actually Generals is a pretty good Risk copy and so is Wargame but with more depth.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #3 SkyMuffin, Jun 23, 2010
    Adventure Zones, LabyMania, and Path Wizard are all adaptations of "The aMAZEing Labyrinth".

Hand of Greed could be called a crazy adaptation of "Operation".

Sean O' Connor, an indie developer of logic-based board games for the PC, has a lot of his games ported on the iPod.

Dungeons and Dice is kind of its own unique RPG based around random chance. You have a hero who is traveling a linear path filled with different obstacles and monsters. You roll to move, attack, and determine the effects of traps or beneficial things.

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Small World is a beautiful board game that is iPad only (but I hope they go universal)

Mastermind has been ported under several names but the version I play is called Mastermind by GetApp (removed because of the name)

Hyper Puck is a clone of the board game CrossFire

Word Ace is a fantastic cross between a Word Game and Texas Hold'em. It started as a game but the devs created the actual card game based on customer demand

Quite a few Reiner Knizia games have been ported as well
    Knights of Charlamagne
    Robot Master
    Monumental
    Poison
    Topas
    Money
    Keltis Oracle
    Ingenious
    Roto

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Zooloetto is excellent.
    Button Men isn't quite a boardgame, but is also excellent.
    Xeno Sola is a Carc clone with different play mechanics.
    KDice Trainer / Strategery are fun Risk Alternatives
    Rush Hour is more of a puzzle, but still good.
    Cross Fingers is another great puzzle.
    Word Solitaire could be played as a real game
    Aura is OK
    Chickie Dominoes is only good domino game that I've seen.
    Jungle is one of many Chinese/Elephant Chess games on the system.
    Solitaire Siege and Thirty One are fun
    No RPG'r should be without The Dicenomicon (or similar dice roller)
    Hanto is a Hive Clone, Hive is out as well ;)
    I don't know what the original is called but iAtoms plays well online
    Slay plays more like a boardgame than a wargame
    Blood & Honor is another good Risk like game.
    If you have an iPad, check out GobbleGator (Hungry Hungry Hippos) and Castle Tiles

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    #6 Drucifer, Jun 23, 2010
    I've been trying to decide if I should get Zooloretto for awhile now but I'm still not sure. Does it have any multiplayer? Pass 'n' Play or online? Does it have different AI difficulties? Would it be something you would go back to play often?

I read a number of reviews from the App Store and most complain that the game is filled with bugs and crashes far too often. :(

7. KDR_11k

KDR_11k Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Blokus was listed as available in another thread, that's a board game too.

8. selfawaregames

selfawaregames Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    Making games. Really, did you have to ask?
    Redwood City, CA
    Speaking of which... we FINALLY completed the order for the second run of Word Ace decks. Yeah, this was supposed to be done in February. Yeah, we know. Super late. But we also wanted to do it right, and one of the issues with the first run of cards was the box. That and the instruction leaflet, which didn't fit right.

So, with the second run of Word Ace cards... custom box, and instructions that are printed on what used to be the blank cards (which in our experience, we never used while playing). So, the setup & printing time is about a month, but then we'll have another 300 decks for sale. I'm also gonna try to get some of 'em into our local game shop (Endgame in Oakland, for those in the area), but who knows how that'd go? :)

Cheers!
    seppo

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I don't recall having any crashes with the game - it's got pass-n-play multiplayer, and is a good port of the boardgame. I like it's UI better than Catan, but it's not buttery-smooth-perfect like Carc. :) Also, I got it for a buck, which might bias my opinion of the game some.

It's a great game to play with the wife/girlfriend - most women can't resist baby animals!

Go read up about the game on BoardGameGeek and see if you'd like it or not. It's not a terribly complex game, but fun in groups. I like the iPod version of it because it computes everything for you quickly and you don't have to shuffle so many bits around.

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The game does NOT work on iOS4

I reported the issue during the beta but I didn't get a response.

So if you have iOS 4 the answer is easy. DONT BUY, you're wasting money

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks, I would love to see it hit $0.99 but it probably won't happen any time soon and if it did the price would probably drop a couple days after I purchased it.

Maybe the fixed the crash bugs, the reviews I read may have been older ones. One thing that was also a common complaints was the time it took for the AI to make their moves. I'm guessing the game auto saves so if I quit the app and resume it later I will be able to continue my game.

Well I don't have iOS 4 yet. Hopefully they will release an update for it to make it compatible. Maybe I'll wait until then and see if they drop the price when it is updated. :D

12. TheInfiniteAmmo

Jun 23, 2010
    Thanks for all the great ideas, folks! I really appreciate it.

The iPlatform (the iPad in particular), just has so much to offer board gamers.

Just imagine, a version of Dominion or Arkham Horror--even Munchkin would be really fun!

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While everything is subject to change and might now that the iPad exists, but I'm under the impression that Steve Jackson Games had no interest in porting over any of their games to the iPhone.

14. TheInfiniteAmmo

Jun 23, 2010
    So I see that Small World (the board game, not the Disney ride, heh), is an iPad game. I did a few searches and came up empty-handed: anyone heard of any plans for an iPhone/iTouch version?

15. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    Did anyone mention 'Keltis Oracle'? I love that one.
    There's an informative list at Boardgamegeek, which keeps track of planned or already released boardgame apps:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27829/iphone-board-games

There are some goodies mentioned like 'El Grande', 'Ra' or 'Neuroshima hex' which make me salivating already...