Best Expense Management App?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by spidey, Nov 12, 2010.

1. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    First up, apologies for starting a non-game thread. But googling is not really helping me with this.

So anyone's used an expense management app here? Which ones are good? Or is doing it on excel on documents to go the best way to do it?

2. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I'm using PocketMoney and BillMinder, because they looked the best from what I could see.
    Mint.com can show you most of what happened a few days ago. But if you need to know where you stand before your paments clear, then PocketMoney helps. PocketMoney can also help you keep track of cash transactions.
    BillMinder lets you see how much you owe for the rest of the month, and for the entire month.
    Between the two of them you can figure out how much you have left over until payday. PocketMoney makes it easy to enter transactions. When you mark a bill as paid in BillMinder, you can have that transaction forwarded to PocketMoney.
    If you are willing to enter all your transactions, then you will like PocketMoney.

3. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    iXpenseIt is by far the best I've found, both in terms of features as well as design. It has a lite, as do most of its competitors though, so really just download 3 or 4, try using them, and you'll get a much better idea about which one's right for you. That's what I did anyhow.

4. spyky

spyky Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Hmm..
    I think Gizmodo gave a thumbs up to EXPENDITURE. However I just bought MONEYBOOK, which seems to be pretty popular as well. As for personal comparisons I can't tell cause I haven't used EXPENDITURE. I just know both of those are pretty popular.

5. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Thanks for the advice. But I landed on an App called cash trails. That really suits my requirements. Have tried lite version of Cash trails and pocket money. Am gonna download cash trails i think, after a little bit more exploration.

Thanks a lot for the help again

6. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Thanks Gabrien. iXpense is actually the best of all the lites that I have tried so far. The lite allows me to record 200 transactions... Might buy it after I have test it a little bit more.

7. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    #7 spidey, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
    Too bad neither expenditure or moneybook don't have lite versions. Maybe because the prices are lesser the devs believe that consumers will simply buy the app and will not want to bother trying out a lite version.

8. hesty

hesty Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I use Expenditure. Great UI, intuitive, though may not be a robust enough financial management app for "power" users.

Between that and Mint I'm good to go.

9. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I've used BudgetCare and Pocketmoney.
    The former had a lovely UI but some limitations in such as currency symbol (only USD, GBP and JPY) and some other minor things (do a search for my previous evaluation on the apps forum).
    The latter was alot more customizable, but the data entry started getting really tedious for me. You would have to do something like 15 taps to complete a typical transaction. The "quick entry" helped somewhat, but the fundamental nature of how Pocketmoney worked means that you'd eventually have to return to that laborious task somehow... which eventually killed me.
    I think I'm going to drop the dough on Expediture soon and give that a whirl...

10. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Thanks for all the advice people. Bought iXpenseIt. Am liking it so far. Easy to make new entries. Good budgeting features. And good reporting features. Plus exports to csv format which you can mail to yourself.

There is an option of exporting pdf reports too, but that requires an IAP worth 99 cents, if you want pdf reports.

I wonder why they chose such a complex name for the app though... iXpenseIt. Not the best name for a recall perspective for prospective customers. :)

11. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I think its what most business people say when they can claim company expenses. "Don't worry, its my treat. I'll expense it", or "I'll put it on my expense account."

12. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    huh. In my co. we just say I'll claim it. Guess that's because we don't have an "expense" account. We get reimbursed in arrears for our company related expenses. Cultural nuances are fun to know about. :)