Universal Penny Arcade's On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 (byTinkerHouse)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Oct 24, 2012.

1. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Oh I'm looking forward to this one. If it's half as good as the first two it'll be great!

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Ok question I never played this on XBL on PC but read the review and it said they did away with mimes and robots but there on the iOS. Is this the add on that was in the description?

3. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Why isn't this getting more attention?

4. jamsie07

jamsie07 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    My thoughts exactly!

So based on the gameplay video, there are no random battles? Every battle you have you can clearly see a character on the screen?

Can anyone confirm this? Just curious if its like lunar silver star story on psp in that aspect

5. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    That's how it was the first 2 games

6. picoro

picoro Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    its very good.

intall size is around 900 mb

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Installed size maybe? That's the only reason I haven't bought yet. Gotta make room :(

8. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Yep, that is the only reason I didn't buy it. Once I have some room i will grab it.

9. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Ok so I loved CSTW, and the writing in this is similar. I literally was laughing at most of the dialogue. I played the XBL version of this an loved it.
    2 things bothering me that zeboyd needs to make an option for, the fact that in battles(which aren't random btw) u have to manually touch on the screen what skills or attacks you want to use, this can be tiring and tedious. I wish it was like CSTW with a dpad or something. It reminds me of FF and I didn't play it for long cause of the controls.. Also u have jobs in the game that u can switch, but when u Lvl up it says "scholar" games a Lvl. Or "brute" gained a Lvl. I would like it if it said "Gabe" gained a Lvl. But that last part could go without. The battle controls I hope get adjusted So I can use a dpad to select what I want my characters to do. Make the game ALOT more enjoyable.

10. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    They don't level up the classes do that part there spoofing final fantasy. My grip and only minor is it has the same problems as the last game they released wonky controls and crashing due to memory. Hopefully update fixes where a have a d pad and crashes. Otherwise amazing game I just hope the first 2 get on iOS somehow and on the touch and iPad

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #52 Ayjona, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    Game Impressions

I must say... I figured I would tire of the combat mechanics before too long (not being at all fond of Final Fantasy-likes and their interpretation of turn-based battles), but the rather large number of tactical choices almost makes up for the lack of movement, situational and positional modifiers, terrain advantages, etc (all the stuff I normally enjoy so much in turn-based strategy/tactics games). At level 18, and not that far into the game (I hope), all my characters already have somewhere between 10-15 different abilities to choose from.

And what more, each and every single ability has an application and a strategic role, what with all the elemental, physical and magical resistance stats of enemies, interrupts of different kinds, passive abilities and stances that boost attacks, etc. With the exception of Gabe's always opening up with Sucker Punch, I rarely find myself shoehorned into relying on one or two abilites.

I probably will still tire of the combat in another few hours, but that's more than I can say for most RPGs on this platform, and many RPGs in general (and, unfortunately, quite a few TBS games as well).

Together with my positive and surprised impressions of the writing, I consider this a very entertaining and worthwhile RPG. Even with some of the most Other God-awful controls I've ever come across on the platform ;)

12. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    I open up the same way I use sucker punch then with Jim I use call skeleton. But do you get summons in the game?

13. numinous

numinous Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Game Impressions

What really drives this game is the writing, it is seriously top-notch off-the-cuff funny. But there are so many UI things that cut away at my enjoyment.

I'm playing on an ipod touch 4g, and the font is too small! Increasing the font-size even one pixel would make a difference. Right now, it looks like 10px in font-size, near squint-level for me.

Controlling your party is all done on paths (no free roaming), but even for this simplistic line-following, the controls are stiff and it's easy to miss a simple turn.

Navigating menus (menus of small font again) in Battle is tiresome. The battles are repetitive and easy. Again, what makes the battles interesting are the names of the monsters, the names of your powers you can use, etc. It's all about the writing...There should be a fast automatic option for Battles, (I'm only on Chapter 2 but...) because I see very little necessary skill or strategy involved.

Fantastic writing (and the music is pretty good too), but the mechanics are grindy and the UI is only servicable.

14. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    I'm on touch and it seems ok for me just better controls.

15. Underwater

Underwater Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Atlantis
    The impressions about the controls and the font keep me from buying it. It looks like this game has the same problems as CSTW.

16. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Yea it has the same but they got fixed so maybe this will as well but its a great game though.

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Keep at it. In another chapter or two you'll be rewarded with a surprisingly deep combat system for this particular RPG subgenre (see my post a few posts up this page). Before too long, each character will have 15-20 abilities too chose between (each with a specific, strategic application, thanks to all the elemental, physical and magical resist stats of enemies, interrupts, stances, passives that boost other abilities, etc), plus passive abilities and the ways different class pins complement each other. And after that, stuff starts to get really interesting...

The controls and UI, however, remain absolutely abominable ;)

Yeah. While the content, narrative and mechanics of the game holds high quality and carries over well from the original product, the actual port (while stable enough on my device), is very bare-boned. It seems that little work has been put into adapting the format to iDevices. Much like CSTW. A shame. With some clever UI work and control tweaking, I believe the iOS versions of both games could have seen more wide-spread praise.

Ah, yea, I must admit, the friendly skeleton is a staple of my battles as well ;) (Two attacks used regularly, out of 120+ available (distributed over four characters) each battle, with a reasonably even usage frequency spread between the rest, is a rather solid indication of the variety and usefulness of each ability ;) )

If yer looking for controllable summons that show up on the battlefield, I haven't come across any. I think we might have to settle for fellas like the skeletal pal, who only show up in the initiative bar.

18. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    I thought we would get more like the skeleton

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Except for the Gardenar class summons (which do not work quite like the skeleton, but more like classical RPG auras/totems/bard songs, battle-long persistent invocations that inflict a particular effect at periodical and regular intervals once summoned), and possibly, with a long streth of the imagination ;), the dino forms of the dino sorcerer, I think the skeleton might be the only summon effect in the game.