Flash.. and what this means to a new developer!(Please Advise)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by newshidstudios, Sep 10, 2010.

1. newshidstudios

newshidstudios Active Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Developer
    Maryland
    I've recently started to learning how to developer games with cocos2d, with this recent change of guidelines from apple allowing developers to use flash should I abandoned learning cocos2d and start with flash?

Learning flash seems to be easy, also I maybe able to do without a Lite verison of my game because I can just put the flash version it on my site where I maybe to able to sale the user more with more info and graphics on the game on the homepage?

What are your thoughts on this?

2. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Learning different tools is always a good idea. I guess we need to see what kind of performance it is possible to get out of the flash-wrapper first. (My guess is not stellar, at least no for the older devices).

3. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

If your intention is to develop for this platform, I would stick with native C/ObjC and cocos. If you are already a Flash developer, then being able to quickly port a project is the advantage, otherwise stay native for best performance.

4. MrGando

MrGando Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Lead Programmer
    Santiago, Chile
    Plus, what if things break for the flash developers. It could happen, a fast update or something from Apple, and suddenly your customers are experiencing problems.

I think for 2D games, adding an extra layer of possible failure to your app is a non-justified risk. I would stick with cocos2d. If you wanted to do 3D I would say go for unity3d or other engine, since it will save lot's of work.

5. ChrisMayer

ChrisMayer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Developer / Designer
    Chichester, UK
    Stick with ObjC. Flash will not give a good result, performance will take a hit, battery life will take a hit, and your reviews will reflect this.

Flash isn't a tool that real developers should be considering.

6. If you are starting from scratch, learn Objective C. If you are an established Flash content developer who wants to port to the iPhone, then the Flash wrapper might be a reasonable solution.

7. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Well, I think you should test the game before you release it. From what I've read online, Flash does have GPU acceleration but you have to enable it.

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Packager_for_iPhone:Developer_FAQ#Can_applications_take_advantage_of_hardware_acceleration.3F

Heh, it still might not be enough. :p

At least Adobe is back in the game. I've been wondering if I should upgrade to CS5 and get back into Flash game development. Yet, it seems too soon. Adobe has to catch up.

Will it support iAds, Game Center and in-app purchases? If not, I'm thinking there's better software out there for my iOS game development projects.