Can i Run iPhone SDK 3.0 in Windows?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jovy23, Jul 22, 2009.

1. jovy23

jovy23 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    #1 jovy23, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
    I wanted to know if i can run iPhone SDK 3.0 in windows because i only got Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit With 2GB of RAM and intel Celeron D Processor that runs 3.06GHz. And is there a way to get Leopard OSX for windows?

2. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    no

hackintosh AKA mac os x86. you can try but dont expect much. didnt work for me even though my hardware was much much closer to one available in macs compared to yours

3. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Short answer to your first question: NO, macs only.
    Second question: I guess you mean run OSX on a generic-PC? (Not run OSX in windows?) There are ways, but they are as far as I know, fairly cumbersome and in a gray-area legal-wise.

4. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    get a small mac (must be intel based ) , this is the better way, I use vnc then to bring the window on my PC environment and get more mobil.
    There have been some reports about sucessul using vmware and original mac cds, but I would not recommend this for a real development.

5. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Here's a solution that I'm in the middle of testing out right now: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=15916&highlight=windows. I will warn you, however, that this is not for the feint of heart. I went through three different downloads (at over 4GB apiece) of the Universal Install Disc before I found one that worked. The process of getting Mac OSX up and running in VMWare took me roughly 4 days (working mostly at night, mind you) and I haven't even gotten to the point of attempting development yet. I would only recommend this route if (a) you really can't afford a Mac, and (b) you have a LOT of patience. I plan on messing around with this just long enough to see if I'm really interested in iPhone development, and then if it seems like it's something I want to do I'm going to find some way to get a Mac (poor credit card :( )

6. jovy23

jovy23 Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Yeah i was thinking about getting a MAC Mini but are they good?

7. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I find this a huge mistake on Apple's part. A huge majority of computers have XP or a Windows operating system, which means that they could probably more than double the amount of developers that they currently have just by making it for Windows.

8. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Every time I've seen this topic brought up the suggestion is always to get a Mac Mini, so they must be good enough for iPhone development. Just to give you an update, my virtual machine installation of OSX on top of Vista is now basically junk, so I'm going to have to start all over again. Personally, if there's any way you can afford the Mac, do it. Anything else is not worth the hassle.

9. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Apple already has too many apps to properly handle and keep up with. Plus if it sells them computers, software, and then 30% of every app purchase it sounds pretty smart to me.

I just wanted to note that in the thread title words that start with "i" are not capitalized. What has Apple done to us? lol

10. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Is there anything similair to the SDK? I'd like to see how it is, it would be a huge dactor for me to get a mac.

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

There are already too many developers. ;) They don't need or want any more, and not selling Apple products would be bad for the company, therefore it's anything but a mistake.

And yeah, a Mac mini is perfectly fine.

--Eric

12. macbookairman

macbookairman Active Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Hope to edit video professionally.
    Nebraska
    See the article here. It is possible to run the iPhone SDK on Windows. If you are familiar with the Tower Defense game "Besiegement", it was developed in Windows.

13. Eric5h5

It's not possible...read the article again.

It was only mostly developed on Windows, and a Mac was still used, because the SDK cannot be run on Windows.

--Eric

14. macbookairman

macbookairman Active Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Hope to edit video professionally.
    Nebraska
    #15 macbookairman, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    I read it the first time...not sure what you want me to see? Unless you want me to see the fact that its not *technically* the iPhone SDK, but his own version using Visual Studio. If thats what you wanted me to see, well, I'm still going to call it the iPhone SDK because its his own software development kit for the iPhone using Visual Studio.

And yes I know he used a mac to compile everything. But he used a friends, so I was thinking that the OP could find a friend or someone he trusted with a mac and compile the app that way.

All I was trying to say was that it is perfectly possible for the OP to develop an app for the iPhone and iPod touch using the SDK on Windows. It may not be THE Apple SDK with X-Code, Interface Builder, iPhone Simulator, etc., but he can still develop using Randall's framework in Windows.

15. Eric5h5

Yes. :) You said "It is possible to run the iPhone SDK on Windows", which would mislead people since it's not true. You can rig up a development system that largely runs on Windows, but you still need a Mac running the iPhone SDK to actually produce anything.

--Eric