Develop for Android too same time?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Noodler, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Noodler

Noodler Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2010
    So if I launch a game on Iphone should I get it done already for Android same time and launch in case someone steals it as in the Cut the Rope incident?

Also can you run a game like Words with Friends individually without setting up a company and hiring programmer?

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

what?

3. Noodler

Dec 25, 2010
    #3 Noodler, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
    Do most people do Iphone game first then Android?

THe other question can a single person run a game such as Words with Friends without having to hire a programmer?

4. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

most "people" do not to android at all.. and the choice of platform release is pretty unimportant..

and are you still flipping your 5 dollars of cash to make a new wordgame?

or what do you mean with "run".. you know you press on the games icon and it runs automatically... so no special people needed.. but..if you mean develope..

if you can programm you don't need a programmer... if you can't well obviously you need one..?

can you repair a car? no , well then you need a car mechanic.. obviously..

can you remove your ill kidney? not.. well then you need a doctor.. obviously..

5. Noodler

Dec 25, 2010
    You are very insightful as ever Mr Ugly:D

6. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    and most of your writing makes no sense, like always.. :)

probably you want to try to formulate youre questions more precise.

so how is your word game coming along? beta version coming soon?

7. Noodler

Dec 25, 2010
    I have to save 5 thousand or so dollars to get someone to do it

8. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Ok as far as the cut the rope copy that an android developer made , was pirated the same day as it was released. The man never made really money on the game.
    See on android you dont need to jailbreak to pirate. All you need to do is download and install one click process. Thats why android developers dont make anywhere near the amount apple developers make.

9. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    the android market is a hugely fragemented market, with dozens of devices, os versions and different app stores.. to making money there is tenfold more difficulty than on iOS, good luck with that.

10. Noodler

Dec 25, 2010
    Thanks both

I did read a few things about the free games put ads around them they make quite a lot with a lot of players

11. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    There are a few games that make money on Android using the ad-based system, but there are probably way more iOS games who don't have to result to being ad-based and still make a decent amount.

Eventually I plan on releasing the game i'm working on currently to Android, but it's just not a priority initially. The number of devices and OS versions is not an attractive model. And actually over the past few weeks i've been more inclined to release my game on Windows Phone 7 before Android, even with its significantly smaller market share.

A day or so ago i posted that John Carmack (iD Software co-founder) also doesn't like the fragmentation of the Android ecosystem.

12. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Doesn't the Unity game engine port to both iOS and Android OS seamlessly? I'm seriously considering using Unity for our next project so that we can port the game quickly and easily to a ton of different platforms (note: I did not say 'inexpensively' since the licensing costs of each can get high with Unity...)

13. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    Android is a GREAT platform.
    Just be careful of fragmentation.
    There is a giant audience if you develop for android, but it has the same problem that iOS apps suffer from, which is getting exposure.

14. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

There is no magic button for this. You have different screen sizes, ratios, some devices have buttons - others touch screens. I am definitely focusing on iOS. Porting to Android for me is very low on my "to-do" list. Actually, it isn't even on the list yet.

15. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    Android vs iPhonemarket

I read, that in 2010 the money that the developers got out of android was 5 % of what iPhonedevelopers got :D although there were nearly half as many apps on android during this time....

16. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    we just released on Android last week, it's been an odd time.. to say the least.

if you have some time on your hands, I just wrote a pretty thorough blog about some issues leading up to and following the release right here

in hindsight (though I am still in the middle of it) it's been a trying time, and can't say yet whether or not it was a good idea (be quiet mr. ugly :p) but we will see how it goes. One thing that's quite positive, is in the short time it's been out our app has been far more well-received by the community than it ever was on iPhone. Hopefully we can grow it further, because for many reasons I'd love to put out more products on that device in spite of the hurdles involved.

17. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

I think the Android market is far too fragmented for me to put my focus on at the moment. Any time I spend trying to code / test for that OS is taking away time I could be putting into making a quality iOS game.

Perhaps if I actually made decent money off the iOS market I'd pay to have ports done but that would be as far as I go for Android right now.

18. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    unity has great cross platform support. Its the click of a button and some setup to get an iOS/Mac/Win app on android. Ok maybe a bit more work. http://www.unity3d.com

- Matt

19. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    @headcaseGames,
    please keep us up to date with your experiences on Android!
    Thank you.

20. Noodler

Dec 25, 2010
    What about that Ragdoll Blaster studio claiming 100 thousand a month from ads?