Free-app-a-day

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by newuy, Nov 6, 2012.

1. newuy

newuy New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Hi-
    I am a mobile game marketing newbie who has to work out a marketing plan...Someone told me that the best way to boost up downloads is using free-app-a-day. Will someone give me a recommendation of FAAD channels that you worked with before? How did it work out for you? Thanks!

2. newuy

newuy New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks! This is really a great help! Now at least I have an idea of where to start.

3. pat3ck

pat3ck Active Member

I got to agree with you. Pitching your app to different review sites will be beneficial as your app will get more exposure (and hopefully downloads).

4. GreatApps.com

GreatApps.com Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Market Your App with GreatApps.com

Hi,

This is a great post.

To all app owners and developers, the free ways for you to get noticed is mainly for credibility not for the acquisition of new users/downloads.

Review sites are very short term spikes (if any) and you are completely forgotten about after a few days. It is also like playing a lottery ticket being in the world of the unknown but hey its free so why not right?

The other paid programs are EXTREMELY expensive and most cannot afford it.

If someone needs the help and advice, feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Best of luck with your app marketing endeavors.

5. wearepinata

wearepinata Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    iOS Game development
    Adelaide
    We used Appgratis.com for our first game and they turned out to be pretty good. And it was free. They have different sections for different countries though so I would recommend that you try and get featured on all of their international sites at once. We were only featured in Brazil and Spain but apparently their largest user base is in France. However we still managed to get 15,000 downloads in 24 hours so that wasn't too bad.

An additional tip is to make sure that you have something like Appfigures hooked up so that you can track how well your game is going in the international markets as iTunes Connect is a bit rubbish.

6. gambitph

gambitph Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    Appgratis.com looks promising. But from what I can get from their sites, you'll have to set your price to free for them to feature it? I'm going to email them

7. wearepinata

wearepinata Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    iOS Game development
    Adelaide
    Yeah you have to go free for a day. But it is a good way of getting your game into the hands of users. It can help with your iTunes rating as well because even though they have downloaded it for free, they can still rate it (unlike promo code users). It can also lead to paid downloads via recommendations. After our free day we had a bump of around $200 worth of paid downloads, so every bit helps :)

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Interesting they havent responded yet !

Just took a look at greatapps.com, sorry but to me its not 'great apps', its more like 'heres a list of not so well known apps who have paid us....'.

Sending promo copies of your games to the many various app sites for reviews is a good idea. Thats how i tend to find games

9. PartTimeEvil

PartTimeEvil Well-Known Member

As someone said below, you can get really good CHEAP results with SEO of your keywords.

We've seen our downloads improve a lot every time we've optimized keywords. Also, if you go free and don't tell anyone, you'll get great downloads for a day. This is because of all the automated crawler sites that report new free apps. You just need to be smart about how often you do promos like that.

So if you want to be budget-conscious, there are a few things like that you can do. Good luck!

10. Jorge.

Jorge. Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Game Developer/Designer
    Miraflores, Lima, PerĂº
    Hi,

I contacted the folks at http://www.apprewardsclub.com and they were willing to feature my app free for a day on their site this Sunday.

I contacted AppGratis, but they request a 1-1 click promo (so for every download they give you, you have to generate a download of their app, via ads).

Putting the app for free for 1 day with no other promotion, didn't work for me. I get an okay amount of free downloads (about 200) but the next day I have no improvements on my sales whatsoever.

It seems ASO (APple Store Optimization) is very powerful. I am trying appcod.es to get keywords, but I must say it is not an easy process. I will try the keywords for my product launch, hopefully it'll work :)

Jorge

11. outqube

outqube Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    App Developer
    Canada

very helpful post thanks!

12. StudioUFO

StudioUFO Well-Known Member

Don't botherer using FAAD. It def. worked back in the days. Now? We used and it was absolutely waste of money.