What do you want from me?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jakooistra, Jan 10, 2013.

?

What should John Kooistra develop for you in his limited time?

1. New game, new gameplay

26 vote(s)
    45.6%
  2. Sequel to Red Conquest (Gameplay only)

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. Sequel to Blue Defense (Third wave?)

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. Sequel to Blue Attack

15 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. Moar Fastar! (Depends on more than just me though)

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. Retina / iPhone 5 support

26 vote(s)
    45.6%
  7. iPad support

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
  8. Game Center support

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  9. Continue the story to Red Conquest (could be done in a different game)

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    I've recently rejoined the iOS development world on a part-time basis, and I'm pretty excited to be back. :)

As the developer of Blue Defense and Red Conquest, I've got some old legacy apps in the app store - only Blue Defense Second Wave has any kind of high resolution or Universal app support, the others are all iphone-only and haven't been updated in years.

Red Conquest, specifically, no longer has its multiplayer servers active. Blue Defense and Fastar have leader boards, but not in Game Center.

Aside from all these things, I have a new project in development, and I'm pretty excited about it. :)

However - I care about the community, and I've always listened to you guys in the past, so for anyone who cares about my old games, I have questions:
    -What do you want me to do?
    -Do you want me to update the legacy apps?
    -Would you rather see me bring a new game with new gameplay?
    -What did you like most about my old games?
    -Does anyone other than me care deeply about the story of Red Conquest?

2. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I want a RTS game that incorporates both rhythm and polarity.

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I never played your games since I joined in July/August so I was to late. Maybe get them iOS 5 and 6 supported maybe tweaked up a tad for iPod touch 4 and up and bring them back into the AppStore

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    If we're talking RTS games, I would absolutely love something like AoE.

5. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Wow, didn't think I'd have replies already - there's a poll now, that should help focus this discussion a bit. :)

The poll is multiple choice - but if you want *all* of those things from me, try to limit the number of selections to 4-5 so I get some useful info out of the poll. :p

6. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Loved all your games but especially Blue Attack! That was my jam. Oh, and welcome back, been a while jakooistra.

7. touchten

touchten Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    welcome back!

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I kinda want new games, but it also bugs me knowing how great Blue Defense, Red Conquest, etc, would look on a retina iPad, so I voted retina/iPad support. No need to rush into things :)

9. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Part of the deal is that I'm already heavily into development on a new project, and I'm very excited about it - so if you're concerned about what I *want* to put my energy into, it's a new game for sure right now.

Mostly, I just want to hear about exactly what you, the community, wants from me - if it even matters to you. :) My hope is to get at least 30 people voting (for statistical significance! hooray for confidence intervals), but I doubt I'll make it there.

After all, I've been gone a long time, and a lot has happened on the app store in the mean time... I'm a bit surprised and humbled that all my old threads suddenly became active again. People seem to care. :)

10. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I want all of the above! I loved fastar. But the blue and red series bring back some great memories

11. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Since 'Restoring Blue Attack and Blue Defense to the App Store' is not a choice does that mean it's a given? ;)

12. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Blue Defense has Second Wave still in the app store. :)

Blue Attack and Blue Defense original could be updated, but the amount of work needed to bring them up to date to be able to resubmit is so big that I'd rather just create new installments in the series, so if you want more Blue Attack action, you should vote for Blue Attack sequel. :p

If I do that project later, I'll look into including the original content as well. There seems to be demand for it. :)

13. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Hah, something I did in stats not too long ago.

14. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    A follow-up to Blue Attack would be great!
    But i'm interested in your new project, too. So if that gets your creative juices flowing, do that first.

15. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Cat In a Box Games... is that you?! <3

I don't remember playing much Red Conquest, but I do remember really enjoying Fastar. 'twas a very fun game, with a distinctive art style and addicting gameplay. Haha... oh the memories. That was a long time ago, though. Welcome back! :cool:

Soo... basically that means I would like a new Fastar! Unfortunately I forgot to click that box when I voted... >.>

The other options I chose were:

-New game, new gameplay - It would be nice to see more fresh ideas coming from a studio that seems to have a grasp on innovation :)

- iPad support - Definitely a little behind-the-times if your games aren't supporting iPad yet. Nothing wrong with that, in my eyes, but I know there are many customers out there that will avoid a game like the plague if it isn't supported on iPad

- Game Center support - This is a personal preference, but I would definitely appreciate Game Center leaderboards :)

Anyways, welcome back to app development! Good luck on your future ventures with apps! :cool:

16. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    :) I'll take it into account. The lead developer on Fastar was not me, but I snuck it in to the poll for his benefit.

For the record, Cat in a Box Games was three people plus one good friend, and the company is basically on life support. We've all gone in different directions, but are very interested in getting back into active game development.

The guy who was the lead behind Fastar! actually just released Instant Sign, an iPad utility app to make little signs.

Personally, I'm now in a position to get back to games development, and I'm trying to make all the time I can for it. :)

Thanks! I look forward to being in the "upcoming games" section again, and even having a new release...

17. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Blue Attack! Sequel. Retina graphics, larger field of view, larger color palate. Same weird enemies.:p

18. Please make a game like Robotron!

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Retina and updating of the older legacy games might help keep them relevant; generally I'd prefer more gameplay/sequels but would hate for these to fade into obscurity.

20. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Universal builds for the old ones!