The definitive Puzzle RPG for iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cdbaksu, Jul 30, 2014.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I actually didn't like block legend. Am I the only one?

2. Empfmil

Empfmil Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Alright, you totally convinced me to give this game a serious go :)

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #23 undeadcow, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    Swoc: Of Sword and Blocks is a really compelling puzzle RPG; it's graphics are simple but it's got really a really tense strategic feel and a lot of unlockables.
    Pixel Defenders Puzzle has a series of set levels that get increasingly complicated (obstacles, unlocking new unit types). Since these levels are intentionally designed to be more challenging I've found it has good staying power in being a real puzzle. I also like that it's a match-3 style open placement game but has a combat focus (each unit even has special skills) so gameplay is varied. There are "boss fights" that further keep it fresh. Pixel Defenders Puzzle later added an endless mode, but because it's initial focus was on challenging levels I've found it stuck longer. Easily worth $1.99
    Block Legends was really fun for a while but it didn't has as much lasting appeal to me and the replay value got a bit dull when things started to feel grindly and patterns predictable. That's a lot of charm and some clever ideas, Block Legends is worth playing... but it's not top tier.

4. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Damn, totally forgot SWOC - definitely deserves a place on any match 3 fan's device. Same with Pixel Defenders Puzzle, nice choices Undeadcow!

Not sure if they've been mentioned but you may want to check out Horde of Heroes (Free), Knights of Puzzelot (Free), Kitten Sanctuary (Don't judge me), Puzzle Legend (for a free taster of what Clash of Heroes offers), Monster Flip, Monsters Ate My Condo, Threes!, Colossatron, MUJO, Scurvy Scallywags, 10,000,000.

There's a little mix of freemium and paid depending on what you prefer but all of those I've had more than enough enjoyment from to comfortably recommend.

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    #25 pluto6, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    So your post intrigued me and so I looked up Might and Magic and it has TONS of IAP - so many that iTunes lists only the TOP IAP Purchases....

So, the base game great by itself, and all these IAP's like Full Battle Modes Upgrade (for 2.99) and a number of faction packs (all at .99) are just extra, unnecessary, or extra expansion or???

@PeteOzzy - is Clash of Heroes a timed Match 3 - because Puzzle Legend is. Just finding out as I am not a big fan of timed games.

6. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Dude, these IAP's are completely optional DLC's.
    This has nothing in common with usual IAP's like in freemium games. It has only 6 DLC's available and these are unlockable additional fractions.

It's not timed, so you can plan your rounds as long as you would.