Universal Civilization Revolution 2 - (by 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 2, 2014.

1. drach

drach Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    After just having gone through a scenario in Civ 5, it's really hard to play Civ Rev again. It may be streamlined, but I am missing all the stuff that makes Civilization on the PC such a great game. I'm all for portability, but it really does feel stripped down on the IPad.

I have played Civ since Civ 2 for the PC, and I got Civ Rev for the DS prior to the Ipad version. Civ Rev may have been designed by the master himself, and he does like to simplify things, a la Ace Patrol. It's a good concept and easy to play then. However, over time a series needs to evolve, and now with Civ Rev 2 it sounds like it has instead just stagnated. I think I'll wait for the eventual 99 cent sale.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I hear ya. One omission that really chaffs my hide is that, with few special exceptions, units can no longer be upgraded as your tech improves. Even cheesier, unlike the big console versions of CivRev, you can't even kill these useless obsolete units. Sure, they cost you no upkeep but I really don't need having bunches of warriors clogging up the works in the modern era!

3. Ric92

Ric92 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Student of Mechanical Engineering
    Macerata, Italy

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You could create a few armies out of the mess to reduce some micro management, but far from an optimal solution.

5. Stella

Stella Well-Known Member

6. Ric92

Ric92 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Macerata, Italy
    Well it's not exactly a solid solution for a domination aim :p

7. Ric92

Ric92 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Macerata, Italy
    What can you tell me about the game length? Does it end when it exceeds 2100? Has it got a limited number of turns in every kind of the three games I play?

(In three game I found out that, even though I don't choose anything about turns or final date when, I create a custom match)

8. gladius_rex

gladius_rex Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Game Impressions

I never played the previous F2P version of Civ Rev, but picked this one up over the weekend. Gameplay-wise, I'm really enjoying it. I also own Civ V, and in some ways prefer this streamlined version, which in particular seems to encourage conflict more than its' pappy.

BUT...

Clearly I didn't learn my lesson from picking up X-COM on iOS... Firaxis ports are sloppy, crashy and slow. Loading in the 3D character models causes noticeable delays, and late-game I was getting consistent crashes every time I started construction on a new unit.

I imagine these issues are minimal on iPhone5 or iPad4, but you are certain to run into crashes on older devices. Buy at your own risk!

9. twenty6868

twenty6868 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Is this game any good?

10. spblat

spblat Active Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I quite enjoyed Civ Rev on my PS3. This is a major step backward. There's potential for this game, and with some updates it could get there. Till then this is why I would say you should save your money:

# can't sell or upgrade units.
    # battle animation lacks detail and sound that were there in the old console version. No "overrun" animation.
    # clunky unit movement.
    # difficult to select among stacked units.
    # no way to tell if a unit has moves left.
    # no help. How do you rush a building or unit? Gotta google it.
    # can't zoom out. All kinds of camera issues.
    # hung repeatedly trying to resume. 4 hours progress gone!
    # there is no place to ask for support. This game doesn't exist at the moment on the 2k support site.

11. Daumueller

Daumueller New Member

Aug 24, 2014
    How can you actually Win a cultural victory with the spains and the lighthouse Wonder, if they Start with navigation which makes the wonder obsolete?

12. Myndflame

Myndflame Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    General rule for Cultural Victory: Build loads of temples/cathedrals, get tons of Production in multiple cities, and just build Wonders out the butt in one city. I will agree though that the Spaniards starting with the Lighthouse and Navigation is very odd.

13. Daumueller

Daumueller New Member

Aug 24, 2014
    seems to be a bug... also, I managed to win 3 times now with just 1 City at Emperor Level... still, didn't get the achievment for that...

14. MonkeyChunks

MonkeyChunks Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Too expensive. Not worth more than $5-$7

15. Cymru

Cymru New Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Achievements buggy

I have found that there are several problems with recording achievements. To mention just a few:

Winning with just one city doesn't get recorded. Multiple cases observed.

Seems to max out the 'Collect all Great People' at 46/48. Never got any further even after weeks of play.

My log of 'Win with all Civs and all victory types' got corrupted. Would not go beyond 67/72

Others may just be kind of difficult, mainly because of the small size of the game. Capturing 10 Great People, subverting 8 cities etc. are hard to achieve, simply because you may not come across that many chances.

If anyone has obtained some of these achievements, it would be useful to know which Civ and victory type was used.

16. moe45673

moe45673 Member

Jul 2, 2014
    The game just had an update. Does that fix anything?

I've gotta say, despite being an overpriced rerelease, the UI changes really helped me get into this one

17. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Was keen on getting this game because of the UI, but held back by game stability and game play issues.

I am also keen to hear more about the update.

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Currently on sale for $8. Is this a must buy at that price?

19. Perseus

Perseus Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Also curious. Especially since I own the prev title.

20. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Check the sale thread, some have left some input on the game :)