What kind of package do developers look for

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jonlink, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jonlink

jonlink Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Sasquatch
    Japan
    I've got an idea that I'd like to develop into a game. I've seen plenty of these sorts of threads that go no where. What I'm wondering is what you developers would be looking for. I know you all probably have your own projects that you are excited about working on, but I'm also sure that if a good idea was presented well there is someone who'd be interested.

So what would you want in terms of presentation? Concept art, storyboard, favorable profit distribution... Anything else?

2. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

If this is really going to be your idea you need to come up with everything BUT the programming. It's when you start leaving things out for the developer to come up with that they become less interested.

So you should know how the game works, what it looks like, how you're going to market it and the developer's cut of things. Then you're either going to have to pay the developer to make it (then you own it) or give them a generous proportion of the profits. If you can't answer every question about how the game itself could play then you haven't done enough work on it yet.

I had a friend come to me with a game idea, so I said, "okay, so what would you do in the game?" and that was pretty much the end of that. It's one thing to have an idea, it's another to have a fully fleshed out game that just needs to be programmed.

Good luck!

3. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    That is completely correct!!! So for my project I have to make and plan out every little detail and even try to make a short animation video of basic gameplay to try and hook the devs. Also this helps when applying for Crystal or Plus+ but openfeint you just have place in the app.

4. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

The many threads about great ideas have gone no where because the developers are asked to foot the bill. Jon put some money on the table and "your great idea can be on i Tunes in less than a month. That simple!