FFIV or Aralon?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by memphis12, Feb 27, 2013.

1. memphis12

memphis12 Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Hey all.

So I've been looking for a RPG western or Japanese. I'm usually a console gamer, Divinity 2, Dark Souls, Dragon Age, Dragons Dogma.. But some of my favourite games are Baldurs Gate 2, Fallout 2 and Planescape.

Is FFIV worth the hefty price tag or is Aralon a worthy purchase?

What I'm looking for is:
    Challenging game
    Good combat
    Lots to do
    A very lengthy game

If there is another game that could be better fitting for me, let me know please. I, currently playing order and chaos and arcane legends (mmo's) but need a SP game also. I should also mention I already own Baldurs Gate on iPad but it still seems quite buggy.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #2 violentv, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    Ravensword: shadowlands
    https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/ravensword-shadowlands/id566839331?mt=8

If you have yet to try Bastion on your 360...you can try the ios version !
    https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/bastion/id537773100?mt=8

What about The World Ends With You? The general consensus is that this is the best DS RPG and the port looks really pretty.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/world-ends-you-solo-remix/id545042359?mt=8
    http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=872

I noticed you didn't mention any JRPGs...but the Chaos Rings franchise on the iOS is pretty decent. It is nowhere near 'console quality' but they feel like decent upscaled PSP games.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chaos-rings-ii-for-ipad/id495155111?mt=8

3. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    #3 krautboy, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    Well, Aralon is an action rpg where FF4 is turn based. Is FF4 worth the price? Yes. However,since you seem to like Baldur's gate have you considered any of Spiderweb's games? Both Avernum games and Avadon offer a massive content,more perhaps than FF4 and Aralon combined. Otherwise i'd take FF4 over Aralon any day,but that's personal taste.
    Ravensword is a nice game but very short.
    I totally second The World Ends With You! That game is really awesome.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Must admit i didnt like The World ends with you at all, found that all quite bizarre.

I'm a huge fan of Aralon so that gets my vote. HUGE open world to discover, a LOT of quests.

Ravensword 2 was very epic, great to look at but i didnt find it had that many quests compared to Aralon.

I was actually sad to finish Aralon ! Amazing epic game on iOS, really enjoyed it.

Not quite the same but if you like Diablo-ish type games i loved Dungeon Hunter 1 and 2 (Forget the 3rd, its a terrible arena game)

5. memphis12

memphis12 Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks for all the input. I must have edited my other thread instead of this lol.

So .. Lost odyssey and tales of Vesperia and FF7 are 3 of my favourite games of all time. Love those. How long can FF4 last and is it really challenging as I need that lol.. Will check out The World Ends and is monster hunter anything like the console versions as they get a lot of praise?

6. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I totally loved Tales of Vesperia. Second only to Oblivion and Fallout 3 on the 360 in my book.

Get Final Fantasy IV only if you had not played it before, otherwise you might become bored, like me... Played as far as exploring the first castle since downloading and playing Dungeon Lore now instead.

7. Christian86

Christian86 Active Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Ff4 over aralon easy ff4 is 20 + hours with a good story

8. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    That is not a good argument. I played Aralon for at least 35 hours and I finished the game with only 2 classes (out of 5 available).

9. memphis12

memphis12 Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks. I've never played FF4 so could be a good choics considering how much I love ff7 and turn based fights.

Is Aleron 35 hours on one play through or was that two separate play throughs?

The World Will End With You looks ok.. Don't know if its really my type of game. £13.99 is a lot as well.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This. It's hard to directly compare FFIV and Aralon. Aralon is a third person action RPG. Final Fantasy IV is a turn based isometric (?) japanese style RPG. FFIV is worth playing for the compelling plot and legacy, it stands up well and is challenging. FFIV has more detailed combat (which I prefer) and is a much "deeper" game (magic system is more robust, party management, various characters). Aralon was revolutionary (by iOS standards so still limited) and has more immersive world exploration (in my opinion the 3 dimensional third person view gives more detail). As a general recommendation Aralon is probably a safer download; but my preference is Final Fantasy IV.
    If you do go with a Crescent Moon RPG, I agree Ravensword: Shadowlands is a better starting point.

11. shadowhawkx

shadowhawkx Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    kinda off topic but what would you recommend, ff4 or ffd?

12. krautboy

Apr 20, 2011
    If you loved FF7 FF4 is a pretty save bet.
    I didn't think much of The World Ends With You at first either. I had never heard of it before it hit IOS. But in a slow week i downloaded it and played it for 5 days without even looking or thinking of another game. Which is extremely rare for me. It will never leave my device.
    I'm not saying you should buy that instead of FF4 or Aralon,but it's certainly worth to at least look up some gameplay video's and read some reviews.

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Final Fantasy Dimensions for me. It's a great "retro" RPG with a dizzying amount of characters and overlapping plot. Both are worth playing. Final Fantasy IV might be a better introduction to the series given relative price, scope, and it's updates more friendly to a "modern" audience.

14. memphis12

memphis12 Member

Feb 27, 2013
    I had never heard of Spiderwebs games, but after re reading your post I looked into them a little Wow! They do remind me of Baldurs gate. Are they turn based? What one would be the "first" one for the iPad.. To the newest one released? Are they more modern than Baldurs Gate?

Thanks again.

15. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Turn based. Best thing for me, they include free built in character editors, so there is no need to fiddle with rerolling dice to get the character builds I want, as I play more for the story and experience.

The Avernum games are remakes of the Exile series. If you prefer more open world exploration like in Ultima, go for Avernum: Escape from the Pit. If you prefer a more involved storyline with less freedom to roam, go for Avadon.

Avadon's engine is older on the iPad than the Avernums, so there are weird pauses in combat.

I had downloaded Avernum 6, but haven't got around to playing it yet.

16. memphis12

memphis12 Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, I bought FF4 last night. Really enjoying it so far. Playing on hardest difficulty and I'm dying quite often. It's not true based, which I'm quite disappointed about.. Basically you and enemy has cool downs until your or their next move. I put cicil up front and two mages behind me, but they still seem to get picked on lol.

Does anyone know what FF game introduced true Turn Based where you get as much time as you like to make your move without enemy attacking?

17. krautboy

Apr 20, 2011
    You can set the battle system so that if you select spells or abillities everything is on hold.

18. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Yeah go to settings and choose Battle Mode - Wait.

If you'd like a challenge I'd recommend keeping the ATB. I needed a bit of grinding at the start but since then it seems quite nicely balanced.

19. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    #19 Edmilan, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Pick up The World Ends With you. It's a bit confusing at first but once you get the hang of it, you won't put it down. It's also one of the best RPGs on the DS.
    Regarding Aralon and FF4, Aralon has an open world, but kinda-ok story, pick up Aralon if you want those. It's like Oblivion meets WoW. If you want an epic story, with good gameplay, that's FF4. I think i finished Aralon in around 15 hrs. FF4 around 25+ hours. TWEWY, I'm at chapter 3 at the 22hour mark :) Pick up TWEWY

20. Dorgi

Dorgi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    I am ALWAYS trying to find true turn based RPGs

Maybe that's why FFX was my favorite one...

If anyone has found any other true turn based rpgs, please post! Switching the battle mode to 'wait' doesn't count!