High adrenaline touch and drag game (upcoming beta details)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Vexorg, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Vexorg

Vexorg Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    #1 Vexorg, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    UPDATE: 3/19 - Game released, release thread is at: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=48877

[​IMG]

GAME DETAILS
    High adrenaline touch and drag action game, Chain Link. Just drag like shapes together to form a chain and then send them into the vortex for points. The longer the chain, the bigger the score. But if your chain gets too long then you risk colliding with a non-matching shape and then it's game over.

FLUID CHAIN MOVEMENT
    The chain will react based on how fast or slow you move your finger.

QUEST SYSTEM
    Earn and complete quests for extra points and unlock new power-ups.

FEATURES SEVEN POWER-UPS
    From wild color chains to invincibility.

THREE UNIQUE GAME MODES

Arcade - Avoid collisions with other colors or else it is game over.

Timed
    - Race against the clock to earn enough points to add additional play time. Collisions subtract points but don't end the game.

Static - Puzzle solver where the shapes fill the screen each round but don't move unless you touch them. Clear the screen by chaining around the maze of other color shapes. This mode gives the player three lives so one mistake won't end the game.

SCORE MULTIPLIERS
    There are three ways to earn even more points
    - Speedster - Make a chain fast. The first one is a 2x bonus but if you do more speed chains within a short period of time then the multiplier increases.
    - Repeater - Score repeated times with the same type of chain.
    - Traveler - You can also try an optional flick to send the chain flying towards the vortex for extra points. The further away you are from the vortex when you flick, the higher the score.

The game is close to finished and is going through game play testing. It will be released in March.

[hqyoutube]qWg3FIdKz-o[/hqyoutube]

01/18 Update #3: New screenshots and development journal.

01/25 Update #4: New screenshots showing off the new look

01/26 Update #5: New video

01/27 Update #6: New contest

03/03 Update #7: New screenshots

[​IMG]

Screenshot #1: Grid layout of shapes in static mode.

[​IMG]

Screenshot #2: Static mode, get a perfect slinking bonus when you make the minimum about of links needed to clear the screen.

[​IMG]

Screenshot #3

[​IMG]

Screenshot #4: The invincibility power-up will prevent collisions for 10 seconds.

[​IMG]

Screenshot #5: A blitz will spawn shapes at a faster pace for 10 seconds.

[​IMG]

Screenshot #6: The longer the chain, the higher the score.

[​IMG]

Screenshot #7

Attached Files:

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    The objective is to control the chain of red/blue objects and collect the red object corresponding to the head of the chain.

3. motitas

motitas Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    You don't wanna know
    same as auditorium?

4. Vexorg

Vexorg Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    wiz, that's an interesting observation, but the red 3x you see can be used by any object.

It is nothing like auditorium.

Keep the guesses coming.

5. Vexorg

Vexorg Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    #5 Vexorg, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    Contest time! I'm going to spice up the guessing by rewarding a free copy of the game when it is released to the person who describes the gameplay in one sentence based on the picture in the first post and guesses the closest to the actual gameplay. Only one guess allowed per person and the guess needs to be posted here. The best guess will be picked in 24 hours.

Edit: Contest has ended

6. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    The goal is to control the different colors of objects by tapping and dragging them, maybe by dragging them next to each other they can hook to each other if they're the same color, creating a chain, adding stuff like the 3x multiplier must give a bonus as long as it's held, the longer your chain gets the harder it gets to avoid hitting the blue chain.

oh and my sentances are long so I'll make it short:

"Chain together like-colored globs in a wicked frenzy while avoiding unwanted pieces and grabbing bonuses!"

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Direct your snake to grab all of the tokens in an appropriate manner before heading out the exit or getting bumped by stray tokens?

8. InvincibleBears

InvincibleBears Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    School ~ Senior
    Ohio
    you have to somehow make a chain of every thing on the screen

9. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    Create Chain you win.

10. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I think it is one of those music games where buttons appear and you have to press them in order that they appear to the beat :O

11. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    It's an online RPG FPS that includes elements of strategy where you can tell an army what to do by speaking by using the ipod's bluetooth voice recognition system.

12. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    nvm.

That would be cool if the ipod had a mic....

Can't wait to see what it is tho :D

13. Vexorg

Vexorg Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Congratulations dogmeat, you are the winner! I've updated the first post to reveal the details on Chain's gameplay.

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So it's a freaky hybrid of Shape Sifter, Monkeys in Space, and GeoSpark! :p

15. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm so stoked to get my copy and play this game. Cool contest, I love it when dev's choose to promote their game in a creative way rather than plastering 50 promo codes on the promo section.

16. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Whoa, i just checked out this dev's other game, shape shifter and i have to admit, the gameplay looks like a lot of fun, like flight control meets a good puzzler:

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Easily one of the top line drawers in my book! Each of the game's stages have totally unique gimmicks and, much like GeoSpark, the player is free to play it safe or risk it all going after some infinitely huge combo!

18. Vexorg

Vexorg Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Yep, Monkeys in Space and geoSpark were the two games that I knew people would compare us to. The linking works and feels much different in Chain compared to Monkeys. And with geoSpark, you only need to release your finger to score. With Chain, you have the extra challenge of getting the chain to the center to score, even for single shapes.

Chaining is actually the original plan I had for Shape Sifter when you combine shapes, but it was just easier to write code that made the shape grow when combined instead of trying to make shapes follow each other in a realistic way. When I finally had the time to implement chaining in Shape Sifter, I found it didn't fit well in that play style and Chain was born.

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It sounds too fun and, yes, while I made the comparisons to the other two games (Monkeys in Space and GeoSpark), I realize it is, of course, actually something unique. But, of course, I do already see many of the obvious Shape Sifter aspects in this one as well! Like it looks like the goal becomes color coded by the last chain so, I'm assuming, just like Shape Sifter there is building up the multiplier on your chain and the building of multipliers separately at the goal. Will there be color changers in this one too?

20. Vexorg

Vexorg Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    #20 Vexorg, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    Update

Here's the latest news on development. I'm currently beta testing with a few elite testers and their feedback continues to improve the game. This weekend I've made a couple of enhancements. This includes giving long chains unique messages like "Jumbo" and "Colossal" when you score. I've also added a scoring bonus system that triggers off key events (thanks to dogmeat for coming up with the idea!). For example, you can trigger the repeater bonus if you score consecutively with the same chain shape type.

I also started working on some eye candy when you score with a chain. Before, the chain would just fade out without movement when you scored. Now scoring involves the chain breaking apart and having the shapes distorted as they are sucked into the center goal.

Here are a few screenshots to show these new features in action.

There are even more features I've yet to reveal that only my beta testers know about. But I plan to give more details on those later. One of those features is hinted at in these new screenshots.

(screenshots removed since the graphics have been updated)