Space Qube - A Voxel Based Retro Style Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fallingcat, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fallingcat

fallingcat Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    #1 fallingcat, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    Hi everybody,

my name is Owen (aka fallingcat). My friend and l are developing an iPhone/iPad game which is about to hit iTunes store so I want to share you some information about this game here.

[​IMG]

The game we are developing called Space Qube, it's a retro style shooting game which is based on voxel rendering. Everything in this game are made by cubes (voxel) and the best part is taht there is an in-game model editor which allows the user to create models using cubes then share the models with the world via the Internet, email and Facebook. Of course the users can also choose their own model to play the game, does it sound cool?

Here are some in-developing screenshots of the game!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The game is composed of two parts, game and workshop.

The game part
    The game is simple but fun, the players control the space ship, flying toilet(?) or anything that players created to shoot as many aliens as possible to get highest score. Of course there are some power-ups for the players to increase the weapon power, speed, etc. There are also variety bosses waiting ahead, destroy them to get higher score and rewards. There is no annoying virtual pad on the screen, the players just tilt the iPhone/iPad to control the space ship.

The workshop part
    The workshop contains a voxel model editor and browser. With browser, the players can browse through the voxel models they have created or the voxel models uploaded by other players. The players can also download, rate other player's voxel models, modify them then use them to play the game.

For creation part, the players can create 16x16 or 32x32 size models on iPad but only 16x16 size models on iPhone/iPod due to the screen size. The way the players create a voxel model is actually editing layers, and those layers will be composed. There are couple of handy tools the players can use in the model editor. So now the players can just use their figure to create voxel model on iPhone/iPad, isn't it amazing?

After creating the voxel model, the players can share them via the Internet, email or facebook. Our official website lists all the uploaded voxel models and anyone with browser can view the uploaded voxel model from PC/Mac or iPad/iPhone. Following are the editor tutorial picture and video which should help you to have the basic idea about how to use this incredible voxel editor.

The Rendering Behind Space Qube Video

The in-game voxel model editor demo

This demo video shows how to create a voxel model in game and browse it in model browser.

The editor UI layout in this video is for iPad. We actually designed a different UI layout for iPhone/iPod to better fit the smaller screen.

Here are some pictures of the main character. Thanks to my artist friend, it looks really cool and like an old school 8-bits game character goes to the 3D world :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And before you can play the game, you can now view the voxel model on the browser! Just click the following two links to view it. It requires flash 10 or later plug-in to run it. You can use mouse with left button pressed to rotate the model.

https://www.lynxengine.com/games/spaceqube/facebookapp/Public_SpaceQube.html?mode=3d&modelID=785
    https://www.lynxengine.com/games/spaceqube/facebookapp/Public_SpaceQube.html?mode=3d&modelID=755

I really want to share you more information about the game but I am afraid it would be too long for one thread but I will keep revealing more information in the future. So you can follow us at https://twitter.com/spaceqube if you want to know more information about this game. My personal blog (http://midnightcoder.blogspot.tw/) will have more in-depth articles and developing diary about this game so you can also check it.

This game will be free on iTunes store soon. Then we will port it to Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and maybe Android. We are in crunch mode right now but I will try to post more video about the editor and gameplay soon. As usual, any suggestions, comments and questions are welcome. We still have time to adopt your opinions before submitting the build :)

Official site : http://spaceqube.lynxengine.com
    Twitter : https://twitter.com/spaceqube
    Facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/SpaceQube
    Dev Blog : http://midnightcoder.blogspot.tw/

Cheers,
    Owen

2. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    #2 fallingcat, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    #3 fallingcat, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    Here comes more in-developing screenshots of the game!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The game is composed of two parts, game and workshop.

The game part
    The game part is simple, the player controls the space ship, flying toilet(?) or anything the player created to shoot as many aliens as he can to get highest score. Of course there are some power-ups the player can use to increase the weapon power, speed, etc. There are also couple of bosses are waiting for the player, beat them to get higher score and some rewards.

The workshop part
    The workshop part contains a voxel model editor and browser. You can use browser to browse the voxel models uploaded by other players. You can also download and rate the uploaded voxel models then modify them or use them to play game. For creation part, you can create 16x16 or 32x32 size model in iPad but only 16x16 size model on iPhone/iPod since the screen size. The way you create voxel model is actually editing layers, and those layers will be composed. There are couple of tools you can use in model editor, I will upload a video later to show you how to use it to create a voxel model. After creating the voxel model, you can share them via the Internet, email or facebook. There will be an official website which list all uploaded voxel models and anyone with browser can view the uploaded voxel model from PC or iPad/iPhone.

This game will be free on iTunes store soon. Then we will port it to Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and maybe Android. We are in crunch mode right now but I will try to post more videos about the editor and gameplay soon. As usual, any suggestions, comments and questions are welcome. We still have time to adopt your opinions before submitting the build :)

Owen

4. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    How can I forget the screenshot of my favorite boost power-up? :)

[​IMG]

5. outqube

outqube Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    App Developer
    Canada
    looks pretty cool!

6. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    outqube, I like your username :) and thanks for your praise.

7. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    #7 fallingcat, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    In-game Model Editor Demo

Hi guys,

Here comes the video of the in-game voxel model editor, check it out!

This demo video shows how to create a voxel model in game and browse it in model browser.

The editor UI layout in this video is for iPad. We actually designed a different UI layout for iPhone/iPod to better fit the smaller screen.

Next time, I will show you the gameplay video. But since the gameplay is still under development, it may take a little longer until I fixed some gameplay issues first.

Cheers,
    Owen

8. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I don't even care what kind of game this is, I'll buy it just for the workshop mode!

9. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    Thanks, I also like the workshop very much and my son is using it to create his own voxel models everyday :)

But I would need to say the gameplay is as good as the editor :D

10. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    Here I need your opinion.

Do I need to make a in-game tutorial to teach player how to use the editor? Although I think the UI is easy to understand but maybe it's still too complex to the casual players. How do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

11. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    Space Qube facebook page goes live

Space Qube facebook page just go live! Check it out!

Working hard on fixing gameplay issues in order to post a gameplay video here soon.

12. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    Here are my voxel toys so far :)
    The angry birds were created in the game first then created using Perler beads.

[​IMG]

13. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I'm really surprised this thread hasn't attracted more attention yet. This looks great, and I'm looking forward to playing - and playing around - with this quite a lot. I think a simple, clever tutorial would be an excellent addition to this, too. Impressive!

14. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    #14 fallingcat, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    It's really nice to know you like our game and we are working hard to let you guys can play it and create your own voxel model as soon as possible.

Hopefully the game will catch more attention after we release the trailer which includes the gameplay video. We are working on it :)

15. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    #15 fallingcat, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  16. fallingcat

Oct 24, 2012
    Indie game developer
    Taiwan
    Hello everyone,

The instruction manual of Space Qube in-game editor just get online, check it out :)

[​IMG]

17. SamF1sh

SamF1sh Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    New Zealand
    You look like a dedicated, hard working developer!
    Good job! Can't wait for the release!

18. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    wow that looks awesome
    just subscribed the thread
    definitely one game that will be picked up once its released

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Looking forward to this!

Next project: put your voxel engine into a multiplayer battle or RPG game (like Vox)! Imagine Gauntlet over WiFi with your avatars blasting downloaded avatars from online - or something like Space Dungeon... (OK, I'm rambling a bit, sorry!)

I bet half the enjoyment will be from uploading/downloading people's creations - looks like you've got a great editor in place.

20. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Tutorials are always nice to have