Iphone sdk

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by robertf224, Oct 29, 2009.

1. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Can I download it for free without registering? And are the basic tutorials apple provides any good? Just experimenting with stuff. I'm a super n00b so sorry if this sounds really stupid, but how do you compile code in C/C++ with objective C code? Do you need like a header file that apple provides or something? Thanks in advance

2. dawvee

dawvee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    iPhone Developer, DaVoid Digital
    Dublin, Ireland
    To download the iPhone SDK from Apple you have to be a registered iPhone developer.

Apple's basic tutorials are fine if you already have a decent handle on Objective C/C++, but they're pretty limited in scope. If you're totally new to programming or even just Objective C/XCode, you'll have to get up to speed on that before Apple's iPhone resources will do you much good.

And to compile Objective C and C++ code together it's not really too complicated, the only trick I found is that you have to rename your Objective C .m files to .mm if you're including a C++ header.

3. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    You have to register on the Apple developer website, but you don't need to pay the $99 fee to download the SDK - but you'll only be able to use the simulator.