What would you think about 'buying' multiplayer as DLC?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sajak, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Sajak

Sajak Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Some games (take Nazi Zombies as an example) are fairly expensive as far as average pricing for games on the app store, and in the case of games with online, the online is the major portion of the price. Now I have wi-fi at my house, but I usually don't play online (mostly because of the battery drain) so I don't really see a point in paying the extra couple bucks for modes I'm never going to use.

So basically, if the initial price of a game was dropped (let's say Nazi Zombies became $7, and the online modes were $3) would you be ok with this? Remember, the games would still be the same overall price, but you wouldn't be forced to pay for modes you wouldn't use.

2. Dylan1696

Dylan1696 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Photographer/Graphic Designer/Electronics engineer
    Debbie did it here in '78
    I think this could work in some apps, it still leaves that door open if you want that extra feature later. "If"

3. Eney

Eney Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    McDonalds
    yeah what happens if someone does that and gets it without the internet gameplay because they dont have wifi.. but then is at a place with wifi and cant play cause they dont have the mode. then you'll be mad, huh?

4. Sajak

Sajak Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    No, because if they had wi-fi, they could download that mode. ;)

5. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    That leaves us to the question, why don't we just buy the separate features for each part of the game?
    It would be a ridiculous idea, the devs would earn less money, as they would have to try and sell their game twice!

6. Sajak

Sajak Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Selling different parts of a game and selling just multiplayer are a bit different. Everyone can play another chapter to a game, but not everybody can use multiplayer or will. Having the option doesn't hurt.

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'd pay a buck or two if Flying Dino would add proper single-player components to iMech, so I'd have something to do when the servers go down again... ;)

8. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    I think that buying Multiplayer as DLC is a really bad idea. For example, Sandstorm has a single player mode but thats not what people bought the game for. They thought that multiplayer was gonna come with it soon, and thats why they bought this game. (not all people but a lot). Paying for something that should have already been part of the game to begin with is a terrible idea.

9. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, sure. While we're on the topic, let's have different control schemes on DLC, too. I mean, I'm only gonna use one, why have a bunch of different options if I'm not gonna use them? Leaderboards should be extra, too. I don't really care about ranking. And y'know what? Sound effects aren't that big a deal either. DLC.

10. Eney

Eney Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    McDonalds
    might as well pay for the graphics too, i dont need three dimensions on ravensword.. i'd rather pay less for 2 dimensions

11. Sajak

Sajak Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yes, that is definitely what I mean. I'm so glad you two understand the point. :rolleyes:

12. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

It won't work. Consider the following:

1. Games need a large following to have worthwhile multiplayers
    2. Most iPhone games don't have a large following and/or expire quickly

Making people pay for multiplayer creates a catch-22 scenario which will unlikely develop into a healthy multiplayer community.

13. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    i like the idea, but lazypeon(warcraft 3 bro? :)) made a good point.

@Kamazar
    LOL. funny shit.
    I'm just curious, what games do you have on your ipod?