Universal Malevolent Machines by Goodnight Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by goodnightgames, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodnightgames

goodnightgames Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    #1 goodnightgames, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Malevolent Machines
    Careless in her experiments Dr. Leyla Green unleashes countless horrors upon mankind. In order to get her experiments back and keep her funding she dives into a steampunk universe with her giant pet cyborg. Dr. Leyla will take on hordes of biological and robotic monstrosities as she journeys through the city to her university lab.

New Footage:

- Lawrence

2. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Wow looks incredible :) I am a big fan of you guys I can't wait to hear more!

3. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    I like the story, I would love to see more

4. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Thanks Repulsa and DJStout!

We have another update planned for tomorrow.

5. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Now is the perfect time to talk about the Malevolent Machines' game play and how you control the two characters.

Let's take a look at the color test for the first level background. This isn't the final background at all just a means to make sure the characters pop against it before it goes into final production:

[​IMG]

When controlling Leyla she will run towards the right hand side of the screen. Enemies will come up that will either need to be jumped over, slid under, attacked with her energy claw or have the ground blown apart from under them. Mastering these sequences is the key to killing her enemies.

She'll be facing a variety of mechanical and biological creations of her own design. Each has a specific way to destroy so the player will be kept on their toes.

Here is an imp, ready to burn her into tiny cinders unless she destroys it:

[​IMG]

Both characters control seamlessly with one finger, in the next update we'll talk about just how that happens.​

- Lawrence

6. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Looks really really interesting!! I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.

7. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Juggerbot Gameplay

Let's talk about the Mech game play. Leyla controls the Juggerbot, the only creation that was too broken to rebel with the others. She'll take advantage of his advanced weapons (when they work) to purge enemies.

While the player swipes to control Leyla they tap to control the Juggerbot. Enemies and other giant robots will attack and they need to be fought off with one of the Juggerbot's 3 weapons. You can switch, on the fly, between vulcan cannons, homing missiles and the charged particle cannon.

Vulcan Cannons are your all purpose machine gun, quick to fire but light on damage. They tend to overheat.

Homing Missles do a medium damage but you have 3 before you need to reload.

The Charged Particle Cannon will charge up then deal high damage and have the ability to go through enemies to hit multiple robots. It has a long cool down so choose your shots carefully.

Check out the Juggerbot in all his magnificence:

[​IMG]

8. SnowballTheLamp

SnowballTheLamp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    ooooo I like how this looks.

9. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    It's update time!

We've got a lot of major things to talk about but I feel like it would be cool to give you guys a peek behind the scenes of us making the game.

At the moment we're currently test fitting the art into Malevolent Machines. So to give you guys a sneak peek at the process this is what it looks like right now:

[​IMG]

So you can see it's coming together! How great is that? This game is shaping up to have the best graphics we've ever done. You can still see some of the test objects we've put in to measure certain aspects of the game. The bottom right being the best example. The levels can only be completed by killing a set amount of enemies which will in turn lead to a massive boss battle with Leyla's larger failed creations. Right now we've got literally the world's ugliest system text in there. It will all be replaced of course. We're also missing most of the background objects which will be added over time and of course we'll show you everything as we do it.

Until we've got them rolling through just fine let's have a look at the concept art for the first two levels. You'll start in Leyla's lab:

[​IMG]

Then afterwards to the hidden tunnels underneath where a secret death cult has taken up residence. Leyla was so busy with her experiments she never noticed:

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

-Lawrence

10. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Can't wait!

11. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Update time! Let's talk about some of the enemies. We're getting closer to having the art programmed in so soon we'll be sharing full game screenshots. While we wait let's have a look at some of the enemies you'll be fighting in the game.

[​IMG]
    Steam Shell
    What Is It: Originally invented to clear snow out of the front of the lab but using a logic chip from an ex military robot was cheaper than making a new one. So now hundreds of them have snapped and are running around killing people with their laser powered plows.
    Who Fights It:Leyla can only break the shield by changing the energy signature of her arm.

[​IMG]
    Steam Launcher
    What Is It: Leyla enjoys tennis on the weekends, unfortunately she accidentally replaced the tennis balls in this machine with high explosive grenades. Now they're running all over town to test everyone's tennis skills.
    Who Fights It:Leyla can only destroy this turrent by hitting it's grenades back at it.

[​IMG]
    Steam Carry-copter
    What Is It: Leyla wanted a way to get parts shipped faster to her lab. Unfortunately the company accidentally filled it with live mines. Special delivery!
    Who Fights It:The Juggerbot has to destroy it before it drops its mine. If the mine spawns Leyla has to dodge it.

12. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Can I test this out and have a Twitter?

13. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Have a twitter? You'll have to catch us at one of our events or cons to test it out in person.

14. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Update time!

Alright so we've got so much stuff to talk about but what comes first is we have game footage! We've got most of the art in and working just as planned so I really wanted to share this with everyone. Apologies for the non-video flip:

[​IMG]

We're making massive progress. Very soon I'll have some proper stills and videos along with learning more about the enemies. I just couldn't help but share.

- Lawrence

15. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Holy F and S man. This looks FN sick as funk.

16. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Looking forward to this!

17. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    It's Thursday that means it's time to update!

Thanks to everyone in the thread for their support. We can't do it without you! Development is happily chugging along and it seems the Touch Arcade staff doesn't think we can finish in time for our December release. So I snuck some shots from our play testing to show just how far we've come:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This game will be out in December. The challenge is accepted and we're not backing down.

Now to share more details on the game:

We're going to have two modes in the game we'll be doing a 25 level story mode and also an endless mode with leaderboards and other fun things. There is a fair bit of meat to the game with many combinations of enemies that require both the 3 weapons on the mech and the attacks of Leyla to defeat.

That's it for now. Legit screenshots and videos coming in the next update. I may or may not be killed by sneaking these on here. Sssssh don't tell anyone.

-Lawrence

18. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Early Update!

I've realized I haven't announced the price of the app. If you guys follow us you'll know Goodnight Games has never and will never do freemium pay to win garbage. I will disband this company before I let it fall prey to something I feel is completely destroying mobile gaming.

We will be doing $1.99 and we will continue to update the game after launch.

As you can see with Ernie vs Evil we keep updating long after launch. Get in early and reap all the rewards.

-Lawrence

19. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Ernie vs evil is A great game. This developer has updated the game and continues to listen to their fans . This is the type of developer you want making these games.
    Constantly updating and bringing new content and fixing whatever it may be while listening to the fans and interactive and being active.

I believe this game will be an instant hit.

20. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    #20 yankeeblue000, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    So cool to hear a Developer talk like this My hat goes off to you and maybe this kind of thinking and business ethics will spread throughout the mobile industry Much success to you and all your business endeavors Btw this game looks really good Looking foward to playing it